×4 Skywatcher Adept
x4 Enclave Cryptologist

×4 Skyship Plunderer
×4 Hada Spy Patrol
×4 Lighthouse Chronologist
×4 Mana Leak

x4 Venerated Teacher
×4 Tezzeret's Gambit

×4 Cryptic Command (Fuel for the Cause as a substitution)

×4 Ghost Quarter
×20 Island *Yeah, despite our Modern-worthy low curve, we probably need full 24 lands, and can't afford to play copies of Champion's Drake

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 am 

Identity: Male
I think the big question in a level up deck is whether you want to focus on a few big levellers, or go wide with counter synergies. Looks like we're taking Highway #2.

I'd probably run Thrummingbird over Plunderer. Less relevant on the board, but oh so sweeter synergy. Plus, you'll probably want to runs some sort of disruption in a level up deck, and that stuff is like sugar water to Thrummingbirds.

Training Grounds is always worth a look in these things. I feel it has more overall synergy than Venerated Teacher. You can level up some cards twice with the amount of mana you save. It doesn't help with Chronologist like the teacher, true, but getting just two counters on him is easy anyway. Since you don't want a full set of Training Grounds, that leaves room for a Teacher or two, or something that replaces him as a warm body at least.
It'd be cute to bounce Teacher with Cryptic Command, but I don't think it would come up often.

Lighthouse Chronologist seems like a big enough mana sink that I wouldn't want multiples out. You already have decent card flow too, so I think you can cut one.

With Proliferate, I thought there'd be a good walker to slip in here, but none stand out.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:25 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I thought about go-wide and go-tall plans, but going tall feels like an overcommitment, and going wide is probably going to be excessive. I mean, how often you'll attack withThrummingbirdand put multiple level counters that matter ? Probably not often, because you can't proliferate level 0 creatures, and most creatures here don't want more then 3 levels, and only ~1/4 of our deck is level-up creatures anyway.
I love Training Grounds, (I really want Training Grounds/Nivix Guildmage deck) but I disagree with you on it being more effective then Teacher. In modern, you want a 2/2 body for 1 mana and a card, so this means you're paying 2 mana for his ability. On aveage, you'll control ~2 creatures with Level Up when he enters, and, on aveage, leveling up in this deck costs 9/4 mana, so his ability will give you a pure and immidiate profit of 7 mana. For Grounds to have such profit you need to "repay" a cost of card and one blue mana (thats ~3 mana), and Grounds saves on aveage 5/4 mana each level up in this deck, so you need 8 (!) level-ups to match the profit. Or rather 6, but not of Chronologists. And also, it doesn't stack.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:03 pm 

Identity: Male
Oh wow. I thought the Teacher only put counters on one creature. I think I played it that way at the prerelease :(

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post