It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which contestant should make it to the semifinals?
Poll ended at Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 am
Shaz 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
CuriousHeartless 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20
Total voters : 20
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Logistics

Quarterfinalists

Pairings

Quarterfinals Criteria

Shaz's Submission

CuriousHeartless's Submission

Please vote for the contestant you feel deserves to proceed to the semifinals based on their submission this round. The poll will remain open until Sunday, November 11. I will be reserving my vote for tie-breaking purposes. Best of luck, Shaz and CuriousHeartless!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
alright so the fairest way to do this I think is to compare like with like and see what comes up.

legendary lands

cycle land

conclusion

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:04 am 

Identity: Male
Shaz's legendary land has much more exciting mechanics. Even if it were balanced to be weaker than the other card, I think I would enjoy playing it more. As a standalone card CH's Mausoleum has more evocative flavour (text).
The cycle lands are a reversal. Shaz's card has better flavour but CH has the better mechanic. I don't even really know what CH's card says about the world or even why it's the colors it is. They have markets on this plane but all the exciting stuff happens elsewhere. CH's mechanic immediately makes me want to jam the card into a specific sort of deck. Shaz's Traitor's Gallows pairs a potentially exciting variable to a target that doesn't care when I make that variable super huge. That makes my Timmy sad. And it requires not just a specific tribe, but for them to be in a specific zone- not necessarily a bad thing, but it puts the card into unexciting development workhorse territory.
That doesn't really give us a winner, does it? Let's take a broader perspective. I like the flavour throughline between Shaz's cards, but CH's cards give me an outline of the set's mechanics.
Still no winner here. Going of of more personal-feely stuff I can't break down so very good, I'm going to give it to Curious Heartless.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:03 pm 

Shaz:
The Fortress has a very strong ability, provided you can keep ahead (which this card can help with). Sort of wish it wasn't a targeted ability so that it couldn't be countered by killing the targeted creature or by making a different creature suddenly stronger, which would make this ability a lot more interesting and risky.

I really enjoy how Traitors' Gallows ask you to check Rebels for a whole different purpose. Might have been fun to count each graveyard, but keeping it to your own is probably the better choice. I do wish this land tapped for Red instead. I don't like that both of the cards you're putting up for your set are colorless mana producers only.

CuriousHeartless:
That's a potentially very powerful repeatable effect, but it's also potentially very useless, and unlikely to do much after the first use. Still, at a high mana cost, you can keep graveyards empty of creatures all game long. I would hope this land is correctly telling me that the set is about graveyard shenanigans and legends so that this is one of the few in-set ways of dealing with those shenanigans.

I like the simplicity of Bustling Street Market. It's a green/blue producer that enters tapped. If you have a green or blue Legend, you get the bonus of making that legend stronger. Great. Nice and simple, and gets across the set's themes very well.

Vote: CuriousHeartless

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:48 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
bumping this since it fell to the 2nd page

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm 

Yeah I'll fully admit my designs were a bit messy, especially on what connects Bustling Street Market to being Green. I was just totally blanking on any designs ideas or themes mechanical or flavorful until near deadline. I still put in an earnest effort but it was hard for reasons that maybe shouldn't have been.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:34 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

We haven't had any new votes in the last 24 hours, so I'm going to call this one. Congrats to Shaz for making it into the semifinals!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 am 

Congrats Shaz and best of luck!

Like this post