It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 pm 

Critique: I like the Death's Shadow variant. It's more balanced to use your library as a resource than your life total, I believe. Could see this being played in some self-mill type deck. Still strong, but doesn't appear to be as easy to satisfy as the Modern powerhouse.

Shadow of the Bear -
Instant | C
Target attacking or blocking creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Add to your mana pool.
Its grizzled shape's the last you'll see.

Criterion: There are no hydras in Dominaria. Create one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:13 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Critique: Definitely fits the criteria. I don't know if I like how you put a red/white restriction into black and green, but I understand you had to make it weaker than straight -2/-2 to anything in order to justify giving the mana back. I would have rather it been a different restriction, though, like target nonblack, nongreen creature. (I love Death Rattle.) Except then it wouldn't really fit the criteria anymore because it can't target Grizzly Bears. Oh well, you see my concern. Comparing it to Disfigure and Last Gasp, the extra color requirement may mean you might have just been able to drop the "attacking or blocking" altogether, if only for color pie reasons.

Kaarjiblaq, Terror of Karplus
Legendary Creature — Hydra (U)
Kaarjiblaq, Terror of Karplus enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Kaarjiblaq enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
0/0

Next criterion: "Impress me." Whatever that quote means to you.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm 

Critique: Not a fan of the name. Pretty basic execution of a hydra. Like the legendary status at uncommon to fit into Dominaria. It actually scales really well without being too strong as an uncommon. Kudos.

Wicked Impressionist -
Creature - Human Shapeshifter Rogue | MR
Flash
You may have Wicked Impressionist enter the battlefield as a copy of any planeswalker an opponent controls, except it has "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a loyalty counter from target planeswalker an opponent controls."
2/2

Criterion: Create a Phoenix with a set-specific keyword that hasn't been done IRL. (Example: There are no phoenixes with exert.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Cool take on the criterion! But I don't like how narrow it is. I wish it could also copy a creature for the myriad of times when there aren't any planeswalkers to target. That would get pretry wordy tho. Even just a Clone that can also target planeswalkers would be pretty cool. Also needs a nonlegendary rider to prevent them both from just dying.

Phoenix of the Sunborne Arch
Creature — Phoenix (R)
Ascend
Flying, haste
When Phoenix of the Sunborne Arch dies, return it to your hand if you have the city's blessing.
2/2

Next: Make a nonred card with haste

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

critique: definitely could have been a better inclusion than rekindling phoenix in rix since it showcases one of the set mechanics. i like the triple red mana cost. this card is strong without being too oppressive. i like that this fits a niche in rdw type builds (it's a late game threat that gets turned on when you flood out).

Hurried Explorer -
Creature- Human Scout | U
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, if Hurried Explorer is tapped, search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle Hurried Explorer into your library.
2/3

criterion: design a desert.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:59 am 

Identity: Female
That's pretty neat. It has fairly good mechanical flavor, with the creature disappearing into a new land. I also like the trigger condition, and that you can work around having to attack with it using something like Springleaf Drum. Fun stuff. 8/10.

Seviaht, the Shifting Sands
Legendary Land - Desert (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, search your graveyard, hand, and/or library for a land card that doesn't have the same name as a card exiled with ~ and exile it. ~ gains all activated abilities of that card until your next turn. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

Criteria: Every so often we get a new land subtype (Locus, Gate, Lair, etc.). So design a land with a new subtype.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm 

Critique: This card creates interesting deck-building options. It helps thin, but also can be a liability if your goal is to ramp or play expensive cards. I'd like to see this in an Awakened Amalgam deck. I'm not sure this could be printed in an actual set given the amount of time it would require in tournament play (a lot of shuffling and consideration when searching your deck). Overall, like the concept.

Mount Scraggity
Legendary Land - Unclaimed | R
Whenever you deal combat damage to an opponent, if Mount Scraggity isn't claimed, put a claim counter on it.
: Add .
, : Add to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if Mount Scraggity is claimed.

Criterion: Make another Unclaimed land.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:55 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Critique: I like level-up for lands, and I think it's appropriate to have a subtype so that other cards can refer to it and interact with it specifically. There are a few nit-picks with the execution of the subtype, though. First, is a land has an 'unclaimed' subtype and then gets a claim counter, is it then a claimed unclaimed land? That feels a bit wonky. Second, 'unclaimed' makes me think that an opponent could lay claim to it, but they can't. I like the particular claim condition -- dealing combat damage to your opponent -- but I think this is OP. Producing 2 mana in a land is very very powerful, and red has lots of ways to deal quick damage to your opponent.

Borders of Heaven
Land - Territory
Whenever a creature with flying enters the battlefield under your control, you may settle Borders of Heaven. (If it doesn't have a settle counter on it, put a settle counter on it.)
: add
, : Add or . Activate this ability only if Borders of Heaven is settled.

Criterion: Create a non-land card that interacts with territories

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 am 

Identity: Female
I like it. It has cool flavor, and I love the trigger. Would love a full cycle of 10 each with an interesting and flavorful requirement for settling. Cool stuff. 8/10.

Horizon Vanguard |
Creature - Elf Scout (R)
Whenever you settle a Territory, choose one —
• Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
• You gain 2 life.
• Draw a card.
2/2

Criteria: Make a card that's both an artifact and an enchantment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 am 
YMtC Champ '12

You were kind of pigeon-holed by settling, but regardless, I'd cut down to two choices, maybe even just one good one. New mechanics want focus.

Raid the Ruins
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top two cards of your library and you gain 2 life. Then if you have 10 or more life than your starting life total, transform Raid the Ruins.
-----
Forbidden Idol
Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw two cards and you lose 2 life.

Criteria: Design a card with the flavor text "Not quite." You may attribute it to a character if you wish.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:00 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I think I'd flip the artifact and the enchantment. I'm also not sure how exiling cards from the top of your library fits in with the rest of the card.

Close, But No Cigar
(Art: Everything blowing up around an unscathed Squee)
Sorcery (U)
Choose a creature. Close, But No Cigar deals 2 damage to each other creature.
Not quite
-Squee, Goblin nabob

Criteria: Make a Farmer

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:57 pm 

Test User (1)
Oashra Irrigator
Creature - Human
: Put an Irrigation counter on target land. If there are no it is the first Irrigation counter on it, it gains "Whenever you tap this land for mana, add one mana of any type produced for each irrigation counter on it."
0/2

make a card about holiday or vacation.

Last edited by theatog on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:43 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Doesn't "If there are no irrigation counters on it" make the card not do anything? Seems slightly UP either way.

Otherside
Enchantment
Flash
When Otherside enters the battlefield, exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield with an ethereal counter on it.
Creatures you control with ethereal counters on them can't be blocked.
In an instant, she was gone. The next, she was back, but Garkk didn't know that.

Make a card with the same name as its creature type line. (eg Skeleton Archer)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:17 pm 

Test User (1)
I like the card. It's very practical in a sense that I would totally play it in my EDH, but somehow seeing as a design doesn't excite me very much.

Giant Wall
Artifact Creature - Giant Wall
Defender
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, it becomes blocked by ~.
~ may assign combat damage to creatures with haste equal to its toughness rather than its power.
So... how do we get around it?
0/8

Criteria: Design a card with "logic" theme

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:43 pm 

Makes me think of a certain large orange man. I'm not sure how much utility there is in a haste hoser though.

For whatever reason, logic seems to manifest itself as counterspells. I think logic makes more sense as tutoring.

Baffle with Logic
Instant
Counter target spell. Search you library for a card with the same card type as that spell, reveal it, shuffle your library, and put that card on top of it.

Make a card that gains a -1/-1 counter on each of your upkeeps.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:57 pm 

Critique: Fits the criterion well. At first, I thought this said "card with the same name as that spell" and I really liked that concept (but would prefer if it put in hand, if that were the case). Then, I reread and realized that it's the same card type - so putting it on top of the library is a bit more balanced. I do feel that you could build your deck to optimize this counterspell (fewer copies of the creature, planeswalker, etc. that you want). Overall, I'm a fan.

The Mindscarrer -
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Horror | MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on The Mindscarrer.
When The Mindscarrer dies, if its toughness was 0, target opponent loses the game.
6/6

Criterion: Create the blue green draft uncommon for a set whose theme in blue is library shenanigans and green is expensive fatties.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 pm 

Wasn't exactly what I expected (expected more on the front end and less on the back end), but an interesting card nonetheless.

Beryl Sculptor
Creature-Merfolk Wizard (U)
Creature spells you cast cost less to cast, where X is the number of cards you've drawn this turn.
1/3

Make a Split or Afterlife card with the titles "If You've Got the Time // We've Got the Beer" (one half being to time and the rest after we've). Sorry but that jingle has been stuck in my head for a couple of days. MtG has several cards that reference wine but not enough that reference beer.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:28 am 

Just drawing cards seems more blue's usual staple and less library shenanigans (not sure what I expected - stacking it somehow? Panglacial Wurm in UG?), but the card sure is solid. Combos with itself since you're likely to have creature spells to cast as you draw cards.

Alright, here goes something mechanically awful and stupid.

If You've Got the Time
Sorcery
Tap all creatures. Skip all of your next combat and main phases this turn and your next end step.

// Split card with Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

We've Got the Beer
Sorcery
Gain control of all tapped creatures until end of turn. They gain haste.

(Unlike every other card, this one doesn't say "Untap those creatures.")

I don't know how to cost this well.

Criterion: Make a card that has the name of an existing card except one letter of your choice is removed or any one letter is added in a place of your choice.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 am 

Identity: Unqualified
Critique: I like the idea behind it, but my problems are: I can't think of any situations you'd ever cast the first half by itself, and even if you manage to cast both, how much mana do you have left to take advantage of a bunch of tapped creatures?

I'll use Slippery Bogle then for the criteria

Slipper Bogle
Creature - Bogle
Hexproof
Slipper Bogle costs less to cast as long as a player controls an artifact with converted mana cost 1 or less.
"For a bunion, a squeeze; for a bogle, a breeze!"
-L'aramont nursery rhyme

1/2

Criteria: Design a solid first pick draft card that is not a mythic bomb or removal.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28