It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:14 pm 

Identity: Female
Hmm, seems to discourage long hair more than anything. Three turns is pretty steep, and the game would probably end before they're up, but on the other hand it fits the original short story really well, so I can't fault you there.

Dai Li Agent |
Creature - Human Warrior (R)
: Tap target creature.
: ~ deals 1 damage to target tapped creature.
: Destroy target tapped creature that was dealt damage this turn.
2/2

Criteria: Design a card that encourages emptying your hand.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 pm 

Identity: Male
While I'm not familiar with the source material, I like the flavor of the multiple abilities and how this card synergizes with other copies of itself. That being said, I think this card is way too pushed, even at rare. There has to be a better way to convey the same flavor. 6/10

Rakdos Courier Express

Creature - Goblin (U)
4/3

Haste
Play with your hand revealed.

They'll get the word out, one way or another.

Criteria: Design a card or mechanic that encourages you to play your cards in a specific order.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Comments: While I like the interpretation of the criterion and the synergy this obviously has with a rakdos deck, I feel like (a) this is much too powerful -- the drawback is really not enough to justify 4 power with haste at 3 cmc monoR, and (b) the drawback doesn't feel very red, though it's not clear to me what colour it should be in.

Quality Inspector
Creature -- Human Advisor
Players can't play spells with converted mana cost X or less, where X is the highest converted mana cost of a spell played this turn.
4/4

Criterion: There are plenty of cards that are in a sense two cards -- split cards, transform, meld, etc. Create a card that is three or more cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:07 pm 

Hm, this is an interesting design. It requires players to sequence their turns and changes the flow of the game in some ways. I have a legendary creature I've been meaning to design who would benefit from a similar effect. Part of me wants this to be green, maybe Bant? Also, the flavor works!

Mark of Evolution -
Sorcery | U
Choose one -
  • Draw two cards, then discard a card. You may pay . If you do, copy this spell without this mode and choose a new mode.
  • Create a 2/2 red and green Beast creature token with haste. You may pay . If you do, copy this spell without this mode and choose a new mode.
  • Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Those creatures gain hexproof until end of turn. You may pay . If you do, copy this spell without this mode and choose a new mode.

Design a member of the Orzhov Syndicate who joins the Simic Combine. Mechanically, what does this look like?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 am 

Identity: Male
That mana cost makes my eyes cross. As interesting as the multi-spell concept is, there has to be a cleaner, better way to format that. 6/10

Yearning Thrull

Creature - Thrull (U)
1/1

Lifelink
: If Yearning Thrull isn't a Mutant, put three +1/+1 counters on Yearning Thrull, and it becomes a Mutant Thrull Bird Turtle with flying and vigilance.

Abandoned by its former masters, it found with the Simic a way to spread its wings.

Criteria: Make a card you want to put in your deck, but don't want to have in your hand.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:36 am 

Okay, low-CMC card that becomes an overcosted 7-mana+ card. Flavor is okay, since what I wanted to do would be a lot harder, but the function is terrible and there's typos in its name.

You never want a card with a high CMC in your hand unless you're some kind of ramp deck.
Hm... exception clause. I'll try something else then.

Ashsteel Marauder :1::r:
Creature - Troll Pirate
As an additional cost to cast ~, discard a card.
:r:, Sacrifice a nontoken artifact: return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/1
"Conflict defined my life. Everywhere I looked, there was flames. Hatred. Torture. I can't leave this life, I can't have peace. Every trophy I collect is a reminder of this. Every kill I make with them, bliss."

Last edited by preadatordetector on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:36 pm 

Predatordetector, can you provide us with a criterion please?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:36 pm 

I'm so sorry! I forgotten about the criteria.

Make a red pirate for a plane that didn't have any pirates yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:39 pm 

Critique: I don't think you don't want this in your hand, tho it is better cast from the 'yard. The flavor is a little heavy-handed. Think this could be a tad more powerful - maybe a 3/2 or 4/1?

Shipwrecked Savage -
Creature - Zombie Pirate | R
Menace
, Exile an Island or Swamp card from your graveyard: Return Shipwrecked Savage to the battlefield tapped.
Once the mists subside in the drownyard, old friends become new enemies.
2/2

Criterion: Design a card that plays well alongside scry.

Just realized this requested a red pirate, please critique both?

Rowdy Passerby -
Creature - Human Pirate | U
Haste
Whenever a player casts an Arcane spell, Rowdy Passerby gets -1/-0 until end of turn.
Ye see a spark from corner eye, ye 'ave t' fight or ye will die.
4/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am 

Shipwrecked Savage is cool. Innistrad really was set up very well for pirates, not sure why we didn't get any. Anyway, I like the return cost. You have to keep feeding it lands if you really want to take advantage of its reanimation effect, which helps mitigate the fact that it's a really hard to kill, low-cost, evasive creatures. I like it. Rowdy Passerby is a fine card for draft or sealed. I'm not sure how likely we are to ever get arcane as a subtype, but within a Kamigawa-style set this sort of effect could be interesting. 8/10 and 5/10

Voidveil Seer |
Creature - Zombie Wizard (R)
, : Choose a number, then reveal the top three cards of your library. If the total converted mana cost of cards revealed this way is equal to the chosen number, put them into your hand. Otherwise, put them on the bottom of your library in any order and you lose life equal to the chosen number.
1/1

Criteria: We've had Elder Dragons and now Elder Dinosaurs. Design another Elder thing using a different creature type.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm 

EDIT: Feedback: I think it's too swingy. The lifeloss won't be small, and drawing three cards is a lot when it happens.

The Tree of Justice
Creature -- Eldar Plant
Other creatures you control get +0/+2.
Whenever a creature you control blocks a creature an opponent controls, it deals damage equal to its toughness to that opponent.
0/7
It is easy to punish, but hard to punish the right person.

Criterion: Before the existence of equipment, weapons were often enchant creatures (e.g. quicksilver dagger). Make a card that isn't literally its card type, e.g. a creature card that isn't literally a creature, or a planeswalker that isn't literally a planeswallker.

Last edited by arathinius on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:40 pm 

Indestructible Aura

Tree of Justice should be hanging people. It seems like it almost instantly wins games too, especially against green. I don't really like the card for these reasons. If it had "whenever ~ blocks, you may destroy target creature; you gain life equal to that creature's toughness" I'd like it a lot more even though it seems more powerful on paper.

Instant Noodles
Artifact
:1::u:, Sacrifice ~, Tap an untapped creature you control: Draw two cards.
The most popular food in the Tolarian Academy is something that can be prepared in a pinch and doesn't cost much.

Criteria: Make orange juice.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:16 pm 

Seems fine. Can't really set off until turn 3. No less mana than Divination but spread out, with a tap needed. It seems perfectly fine, could easily be an uncommon in any set.

Liquid Rations
Artifact
When ~ enters the battlefield, gain 2 life.
, , sacrifice ~: Gain 4 life.
Every sailor is assigned rations to prevent scurvy on the seas.

Criteria: 1-drop Legendary Blue creature. No X costs allowed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:33 pm 

Critique: You did the best you could with such limiting criterion. Simple card.

Kinshou, Master of Origami -
Legendary Creature - Human Monk | R
, : Destroy target creature token you control. If that creature had base power and toughness 1/1, create a 2/2 colorless Origami Bear creature token. If that creature had base power and toughness 2/2, create a 3/3 colorless Origami Elephant with trample. If that creature had base power and toughness 3/3, create a 4/4 colorless Origami Rhino creature token with trample and vigilance. If that creature had base power and toughness 4/4, create a 5/5 colorless Origami Dragon creature token with flying and haste. Otherwise, create a 1/1 colorless Origami Bird creature token with flying.
0/1

Criteria: 1-drop Mythic Rare red creature with base power and toughness 1/1.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 am 

Love the flavor of the mechanic. It can work by itself, but rewards you for playing bears, grey ogres, or other equal power/toughness cards. I'm am curious how it interacts with indestructible creatures. Probably too much text for a textbox, but it's cool. 8/10.

Lightning Seer |
Creature - Human Shaman (M)
Whenever an instant or sorcery source you control deals damage to a permanent or player, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
Atop storm-wracked cliffs we find answers amidst flashes of death.
1/1

Criteria: How about a mythic enchantment with cmc 1.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:45 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Lightning Seer has the potential to be so deadly. Likely to deadly. In standard you could control its power level, but this build around would be banned at the kitchen table pretty damn fast. Makes a good chase mythic. 9/10 simply because its potential to be busted in the right deck.

Ancestral Evolution
Enchantment ─ Aura (M)
Enchant creature with power 7 or higher.
Enchanted creature gains trample and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw three cards."

Criteria: Lets go with a card that has the flavor of extreme wealth.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I don't think this is flashy enough to be a mythic, or even much good. If you're connecting face with a guy that big, you've probably won anyways.

Gozag's Coffers :2::u::b:
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
Sacrifice X treasures: gain control of target creature with power X or less.

Criteria: Make a planeswalker or creature that hates magic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:17 pm 

Seems decent. Accelerates you a little, and the second ability gives you something else to spend treasure on. I'm very fond of Treasure Cove and this fits the bill. Flavor matches the criteria as well. Solid. 7/10.

Lesha, Magebreaker |
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric Knight (R)
First strike
Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, look at that player's hand and choose a card from it. The player discards that card.
"At the first utterance of incantation, cut out their tongues."
2/3

Criteria: Design a card that likes lands.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:56 pm 

Critique: Solid design. Embodies the criterion. I would limit the discard to instant/sorcery cards. It seems more in line with hating magic. This hitting everything may be too powerful.

Treehugger Timberkind -
Creature - Giant Shaman | C
Trample
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under any player's control, if Treehugger Timberkind is untapped, tap Treehugger Timberkind. Otherwise, untap Treehugger Timberkind.
"Even the mightiest treefolk began as a sapling. Love them both." - Mirth, God Timberkind.
4/4

Criterion: Design a creature that scales as the game progresses.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 pm 

Critique: I like the ability a lot. You can disincentivise land drops from your opponent if this guy is tapped, or try to give him pseudo-vigilance. On the other hand, I don't understand the flavor, or why it's red. And I feel like the complex gameplay should put this at uncommon.

Amnesia's Shadow
Creature - Avatar
Amnesia' Shadow gets -X/-X, when X is the number of cards in your library.
13/13

Criterion: Create a card that's the opposite of Grizzly Bears, whatever that means.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next