It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:36 am 

I remember the original GDS's Art Challenge had like no Green card arts. And this one has basically no white ones. Most likely color for each art:
A- Blue. It's a Merfolk using water magic on something.
B- Blue or Blue/White. The long stream of Blue means they'd definitely make this a Blue card but the fact he seems to be boosting his own weapon and the meantioned above likeliness of being from Bant makes me think a WU dual card could work.
C- Black as she's surrounding herself in the void. Though a colorless card also could work.
D- Green. It's a wurm lunging at something flying, this looks like an underwhelming 1990's Green card that would like deal 5 damage to one Flyer for too much mana compared to Plummet.
E- Blue because it's so goddamn blue. SOme sort of reading, probably would let you search top five cards for an Instant or Sorcery.
F- Red or Black. Giant demon in field of flames, it's Red or Black.
G- Green. This is obviously a fight card. I could see this being one of the enchantments.
H- Hard to tell for sure but looks either Green or Green/Black.
I- Red. It's flaming rain.
J- Green. It's an Ixalan Merfolk which means Green or Blue and the framing of crouching, looking at tracks makes me think Green. Probably with Explore.
K- I actually thought that was a construct before, but yes it is a DInosaur. Gonna be honest this art makes me think Ixalan reprint of Temple of Enlightenment for some reason. Just really strikes me as a WU dual land. Most likely to be used as White as it's the most color neutral.
L- U or UB, most likely some sort of control card and not a creature itself. Could work as an enchantment, probably that grants a Saboteur ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:37 am 

A looks more like a salamander to me (Amphin Cutthroat) which I think would put them on Shandalar.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 am 

I know I'm super late but does anyone feel that converge is a better flavored mechanic for Bigtopia than OGW? Maro thinks it isn't a good fit for a circus but I think is because the mechanic that we saw didn't have the feel that he wanted it to have in OGW.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am 

I like the idea of Converge, especially in conjunction with Gold tokens. I just am not sure the contestant did a great job of showing it off.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 am 

I still don't get Converge in OGW besides "How about we try pushing Colorless AND 5-color decks in the same Set! It's a genius idea, isn't it?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:32 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
For the record, converge was in BFZ and not in OGW, but yeah it felt pretty out of place regardless.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 pm 

I'm not too happy with it, but here's my attempt at the newest challenge:

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:19 am 

The winner is

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am 

I’m none too happy about Scott’s showing. He pushed some odd shard stuff for a set where everything was 2-color. No reason for the white Werewolf card or ue Human one besides shooting himself in the foot

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 pm 

Is there a way to see the final challenge designs without watching a video?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 am 

We're supposed to get an article about the finale next week.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm 

Article was posted up, I think yesterday, with the final challenges. Here's my take on the Challenges. Threw these together in 10 min. Didn't bother with names.

Seance-Replacement 1:
Enchantment | {R}
Non-Spirits you control get +1/+1 for each Spirit in your graveyard.

Seance-Replacement 2:
Sorcery | {R}
Search your library or graveyard for a creature with power equal to or less than the number of creatures you control and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

Seance-Replacement 3:
Enchantment | {R}
Whenever a Spirit is put into your graveyard from anywhere, scry 1, then you may reveal the top card of your library. If a Spirit is revealed this way, put it into your hand.

Grading these myself based on the comments from the judges, I would have to say that Seance-Replacement 1, as a Glorious Anthem-type card, would probably be the most liked of the submissions, with Seance-Replacement 2 and 3 being thrown out. #2 would be thrown out because of the hesitation on searching for stuff, somewhat off-colour, might be too risky this late in the process. #3 would be tossed because it's more like an Uncommon than a Rare. Congrats to the winners.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:13 pm 

1 feels way too dangerous to print at the last minute.

I found a bit weird that the winning submission used rules that weren't aviable at the time instead of the oblivion ring wording.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15