It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 pm 

I actually straight up forgot this was a thing

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:46 am 

Scott Wilson wrote:
Easily Excitea-Bull (rare)
2RW
Creature - Beast
2/2
Haste, lifelink
Whenever a player's life total changes, put a +1/+1 counter on CARDNAME.
Using this with something that lets you pay 1 life at a time (e.g. Wall of Blood) overshadows any possible 'fair' use of it.

Scott Wilson wrote:
Tomarin Blair, Lord of Time (mythic rare)
2WU
Planeswalker - Tomarin
+1: After this main phase, there is an additional upkeep step, followed by an additional main phase.
-3: Target opponent skips his or her next combat phase.
-8: Create a colorless Paradox artifact token with T, Sacrifice this artifact: End the turn.
I like how he found three abilities in a narrow mechanical & flavorful space for this planeswalker. In a context free zone the +1 is hard to build around and he is underpowered overall, might be nice in superfriends though?

Scott Wilson wrote:
Draft Chaff Blast (rare)
XUR
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals X damage to target creature or player. You may choose an artifact, instant, or sorcery card with converted mana cost X or less you own from outside the game, reveal that card, and put it into your hand.
It's weird to pay more to tutor a more expensive card to your hand, because then you have to pay more again when you cast it. I know that already exists on Citanul Flute, but with other card types the cheaper ones are often the most powerful, e.g. this can easily find Lion's Eye Diamond.

Scott Wilson wrote:
Blood Requirement (common)
1UB
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller sacrifices a creature.
There's a big difference in power when the opponent has a creature and when they don't. This probably couldn't cost 2 mana because of being an unconditional counter in constructed, but at 3 there are many better options like Cancel. And it wouldn't get played in Limited either where everyone has creatures.

Scott Wilson wrote:
Poisonous Prison (uncommon)
2WB
Enchantment
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield.
When CARDNAME leaves the battlefield, each opponent loses 4 life.
O-rings almost never get destroyed (except when Maelstrom Pulse could kill two at once), enchantments are the second hardest type to remove and people don't even sideboard enchantment hate against them, so there's not much point in adding this ability that discourages destroying them.

---

Ryan Siegel-Stechler wrote:
Indiscriminate Slaughter (rare)
2BR
Sorcery
Choose a creature at random. Destroy all other creatures.
To influence the randomness to choose you, you'd need lots of creatures. But then you wouldn't want to play a mass removal spell. This is a Timmy card only.

Heart's Desire (mythic rare)
3GGUU
Enchantment
If you would search your library for a card or cards, search for twice as many cards that fit the search criteria instead.
Combo decks don't need incremental advantages and this is too slow even as the win con of a control deck. I get the sense that this guy is an EDH player.

Alacrity (common)
(g/w)
Sorcery
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains vigilance until your next turn.
The wording threw me on this one, till I realised you can use it on another player's creature in a multiplayer game (but he didn't want to make it an instant pump spell). Yep, definitely an EDH player.

---

Linus Ulysses Hamilton wrote:
Feint Strike (uncommon)
2BR
Instant
CARDNAME deals 1 damage to target creature. Target player sacrifices other target creature.
This is weirdly worded (though I can't find a better way of doing it) but also I don't understand the point of this flavorfully or mechanically.

Linus Ulysses Hamilton wrote:
Red Rover (uncommon)
1RW
Enchantment
Your opponents must attack with exactly one creature each combat if able.
I don't think the first ability of Dueling Grounds would be printed on a permanent that's not easily removed these days. It just locks the game up.

Actually, most of this guy's cards are crap, I won't go on with more examples. How did he make the top 8?

---

Jeremy Geist wrote:
Pick Your Poison (rare)
3BG
Sorcery
Choose any number of modes that add to exactly <4> You may choose the same mode more than once.
<1> Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
<2> Create a 1/1 black Snake creature token with deathtouch.
<4> All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn.
I was recently thinking of designing a land that could spend different numbers of counters to power different abilities (Fivestone Mine. ETB with 5 charge counters. Tap and use 1 counter: Add :c:. Tap and use 2 counters: Add one mana of any color). This is similar but for modal spells, and I like it. Hopefully becomes real one day.

Jeremy Geist wrote:
Remember Your Charlemagne (uncommon)
WU
Instant
Target artifact or non-Aura enchantment you control becomes a 5/5 creature in addition to its other types until end of turn.
This is cool design space, letting things that you used to do to artifacts be done to either artifacts or enchantments. Though I don't know how many other effects like this there are.

---

Jay Treat wrote:
Lure of Treason (rare)
3RG
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. All creatures able to block it this turn do so.
Make all your creatures unblockable and destroy a bunch of enemy creatures sounds blue black, so it's cool how this does it in red green.

Jay Treat wrote:
Bucket List (rare)
1UR
Enchantment
Whenever you cast a spell of a type showing on CARDNAME, put a counter over that type and draw a card. If all five types on CARDNAME have counters over them, sacrifice it and draw one more card.
[ ] artifact [ ] creature [ ] enchantment [ ] instant [ ] sorcery
This seems too silver bordered for this contest, but also I don't like how the reward for completing the full quest is so weak. May as well go all in on these sort of cards - Search the City gave you an extra turn.

Jay Treat wrote:
Bought the Farm (uncommon)
1GW
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant land you control
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield.
Enchanted land has T: Add GW to your mana pool.
I dig the name and related flavour, though isn't ramp + removal strong at three mana?

Overall this guy's cards were a little bit of fun but not highly impressive.

---

Chris Mooney wrote:
Kwil, Spell Lord (mythic rare)
3UR
Planeswalker — Kwil
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put two loyalty counters on CARDNAME. Then you may activate one of his loyalty abilities.
-3: Choose target instant or sorcery spell. If that spell is blue, draw a card. If that spell is red, CARDNAME deals 2 damage to any target.
-5: Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
The rules are funny. I think that first ability lets you ignore timing restrictions but not other restrictions. So, even if he had another ability that could be used at sorcery speed, you wouldn't be able to use two abilities in one turn by casting an instant or sorcery. But would you be able to use an ability on your turn and again on an opponent's turn?

Overall I wasn't that impressed with this guy's cards.

---

Ari Nieh wrote:
Mugai Creation Saga (mythic rare)
5GGUU
Sorcery
Do both of these, in either order -
* Draw a card for each creature you control.
* Create a 2/2 green Bear creature token for each card in your hand.
This is a clever design, even if I think some here would declare it to be "too ymtc".

Ari Nieh wrote:
The Raven Lord (mythic rare)
4WU
Legendary Creature — God
5/5
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Bird tokens with flying.
Flying creatures you control have 1, T: Draw a card.
As long as you've drawn two or more cards this turn, CARDNAME has indestructible.
This is cool, but how is a card named The Raven Lord not black?

---

Alex Werner wrote:
Swiftblade Pikeman (common)
RW
Creature — Human Soldier
3/1
CARDNAME enters the battlefield with a blade counter on it.
Remove a blade counter from CARDNAME: CARDNAME gains first strike until end of turn.
One shot abilities don't often get used because of threat of activation, but since the toughness is 1 I could see the opponent throwing away a small creature to get rid of the counter. Maybe raise the mana cost and the power to make this more likely.

Alex Werner wrote:
Zyym, Mesmeric Lord (mythic rare)
1UBB
Legendary Creature — Vampire Wizard
3/4
Flying, deathtouch
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, target opponent chooses an order for the cards in his or her hand, then reveals them one by one, until you say stop. That player then discards the most recently revealed card.
There is actually a mathematical theorem that tells you the best way to use this sort of effect, but that's assuming that the order of the cards is random and that knowing what cards are in hand doesn't affect the evaluation of the others. It's a cool mini game, though I think people will often put their strongest card first to avoid having to reveal the rest of their hand.

A lot of the other cards aren't that good on second view. Why am I going for this guy? I guess I can hope he gets better as the tournament goes on. Actually, I think I'll cheer for Jeremy Geist.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am 

Alacrity - it gives vigilance. You are supposed to pump your own creature, attack with it and then still have it pumped for blocking.

Feint Strike - I don't think I will ever agree with targeted sacrifice effects. It should just be "destroy" or "Exile" let the player choose another creature to sacrifice.

The Raven Lord - I assume this would be "Odin" in a cycle of gods in a viking set. There are blacker gods in Norse myths.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:36 pm 

Oh reposting from other thread:

Quote:
Jeremy Geist (finalist!) is part of our draft playgroup!

He's a really cool guy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am 

Maro writes about 11 cards from designers who just missed the top 8
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-03-19

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 pm 

Identity: Male
I didn't find time to go over each entrants 10 cards, so a TL;DR version is quite welcome. Now for my TL;DR opinions on each contestant:
Scott Wilson - Playing in risky territory with little benefit. Single card nonbos.
Ryan Siegel-Stechler - Sometimes obtuse but always fun. People would have fun with these cards (except when determining things randomly) but may not be enticed enough to play them. That last one not being an instant is Scott Wilsonesque- convoluted to little benefit.
Linus Ulysses Hamilton - Those 2 cards aren't just below the bar, they're actually bad. And not interestingly bad either.
Jeremy Geist - 1 awesome offbeat card and 1 safe but solid card. I'm liking it. (and Flopfoot, your design sound nice too)
Jay Treat - Fun and inventive, what a Treat! :D Some rough edges though. Bought the farm enchants a land but exiles a creature? Why not have it tap itself for mana? (I don't care that enchantments tend not to tap) I get that Bucket List is more about exploring design space, but I can think of a much less Un version.
Chris Mooney - Assuming this works as Flopfoot thinks it can't, then it's a fun and original design.
Ari Nieh- Mugai Creation Saga leverages something I've never seen before to create player choice. The other card is less elegant, but pretty cool.
Alex Werner - Alright.

There's a couple of these guys contending for my favourite. I think I'll jump on the Geist bandwagon though.

Now my take on a card:
Bucket List (rare)

Enchantment
Whenever you cast a spell of an artifact, creature, enchantment, instant or sorcery spell, if ~ hasn't already exiled a card of that type you may exile that card. If you do, draw a card. Then, if 5 cards have been exiled this way, sacrifice ~ and it deals damage to target creature or player equal to the total converted mana cost of each exiled card.

The payoff was hard to figure out.
cast each card exiled by ~ without paying its mana cost. ?? - amazing combo/storm potential, and getting things back is fun. Hard to use normally.
extra turn?? - Eh, sort of red.
Draw a bunch - Less red. Although discard all and draw # is ok.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:07 am 

They showed all ten cards from each contestant in that article, I just picked a few out to comment on

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:11 am 

Identity: Male
I figured as much.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm 

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:51 pm 

Yeah, reading through the comments now. There's some really fun looking cards in this.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
The blue text judge is
NAUSEATING.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:33 pm 

Quote:
Design 7

Bucket List (rare)
1UR
Enchantment
Whenever you cast a spell of a type showing on CARDNAME, put a counter over that type and draw a card. If all five types on CARDNAME have counters over them, sacrifice it and draw one more card.
[ ] artifact [ ] creature [ ] enchantment [ ] instant [ ] sorcery

Quote:
MaRo:
This was my favorite design of all 94 design tests. It is an interesting "build around me" card that makes use of the frame in an all-new way. This is the kind of card that inspires me to make a whole mechanic. (And it's clear from Eli that we'd want to make use of this on enough cards to justify the effort to make it work.)

Oh goody.....

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:11 pm 

I mean, I know MaRo is a good designer, because he's been at this for so long, but it's comments like this that make me wonder if he knows how to design Magic. The answer is yes, but then I read that again, and I ask "Really? You're sure?".

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:16 pm 

It's likely his favorite design because it reads like an Un-card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:48 pm 

All it's missing is 6 different colored tokens and you make an infinity gauntlet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:32 pm 

The best comment was Maro on the search-doubling card saying "wish I thought of that!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 pm 

I hate Ethan Fleischer’s comment on Ryan Siegel’s first card. Basically nothing related to creature-based life gain actually makes sense. Explain to me how Baneslayer smacking stuff with a sword revitalizes me and then you may bitch about that flavor transgression.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:14 am 

i mean, cards that creatively use the cardspace have been in vogue for a while now. Transform, Level up, Fusion, Split (which is older but recently saw a resurgence that uses the space in different more interesting ways), etc. I think its probably a good thing, and bucket list's execution is a lot less burdensome than things like transform and fusion.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:19 am 

I hate Ethan Fleischer’s comment on Ryan Siegel’s first card. Basically nothing related to creature-based life gain actually makes sense. Explain to me how Baneslayer smacking stuff with a sword revitalizes me and then you may bitch about that flavor transgression.
On black and white cards, life gain can be waved away as (un)holy magic, but green cards are usually more literal. This card was partly black, but flavored in a green way. Though, Doomgape is pretty similar

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 am 

The flavour on the original spirit link and lifelinkcards themselves are a little tenuous, and thus probably the entire mechanic by extension. What exactly are these enchantments making the creature do? the flavour text is all pretty abstract. Even for pretty obvious examples, like a vampire with lifelink, you have to wonder why you, the planeswalker, gain the life that the vampire drains from its victim. sengir vampire effect has a pretty obvious connection between the flavour and connections, but lifelinking vampires don't quite hit the mark.

the only "lifegain" which is really flavourfully on the point in my opinion are healing magic. A lifelink creature that's flavoured as harvesting the damaged creature's lifeforce and transferring it to you by some means would make sense, although i think that's probably not the vast majority of lifelink cards, and even the cards that could be justified as doing that probably don't spell it out, since cards generally seek to be ignorant of the context in which they're being summoned i think. A samite healer can cast protective magic on you only because that's something it would normally do for its buddies on the battlefield on its original plane. something like a vampire or a demon that siphons life for people will usually be using that life for itself and not for the benefit of whoever is in charge of it.

although there are still a lot of contexts in which lifelink is usually used, flavourfully speaking. Angels or other creatures which wield holy magic are one of those contexts.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next