It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:34 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
rag

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:12 am 

JV

i have one more card to grade

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:37 pm 

These grades better be novels.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:46 pm 

Identity: Rubik
Grizzle Bear
Bear — Creature
Grizzle Bear has 2 power and toughness and converted mana cost and parents and eyes and ears.
"Grrrr...."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 pm 

Rag - :1:
Artifact
:t:, Sacrifice an artifact: Create a Treasure artifact token with ":t:, Sacrifice: Add one mana of any color."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 am 

Dudibus vs JV:

Dudibus' "Si'thelek, Simic Visionary" - This is pretty interesting. If you
keep on using its +1 then its harder to kill it than it is a normal planeswalker, since it can't ever be attacked. (but can still be removed, unless you're copying it onto an evasive creature). I don't think this is innately problematic but it could pose some balance issues in the right environment.

JV's "Phi, Eidolon of Avarice" - This has a pretty good a e s t h e t i c to it. I feel like the ult could be stronger considering how long it takes to get off (5 turns or 6 if you want to get what is probably the more ideal usage out of it). Losing 7 life in late game will also sometimes just kill you, so there's that. It does protect itself and only costs 2 mana though, so maybe it is better where it is.

Dudibus vs JV

Mata vs Malikot:

Mata Hari's "Eyes of the Curfew" - I always liked the atmosphere around a spooky community with a curfew and the name of the card sort of evokes that image but then there are homunculi which are presumably eyeball people which makes it both spookier and adds that little bit of wit/wordplay so i like the flavour here. The card itself promotes pretty interesting gameplay I think. I feel like more often you're going to want to put it on yourself since the drawback seems kind of easy to work around and at the stage of the game this is coming down getting a 2/2 every turn is probably worth more than having to bounce/recast your cheapest creature every turn, although the utility is still there. Its sort of weird that its "nontoken creature they own to their hand" rather than "nontoken creature they control to their owner's hand" although the gameplay is the same in 99.99% of cases so it doesn't really matter.

Malikot's Prone to Insanity - This card gets me pretty excited personally although it might be hard to balance because it is stormish and storm is hard to balance. It feels like you'd almost always want to cast this on yourself since it gives you more control over when it triggers and it affects both players evenly whenever it triggers so its not really a drawback. To this end I feel it may as well just be an enchantment that triggers off your spellcasts. I'm trying to work through when it would be better to cast it on an opponent, and the only obvious answer is "when you don't want them to play a lot of spells and so threaten them with the damage trigger" but if they don't want to take damage then i feel like it'd be better on you anyway, so instead of threatening them with damage you could just deal damage to them. I guess the actual answer is when you can't trigger it as well as your opponent could and you want everyone to take damage, which probably is going to be a rareish scenario in a deck where you're purposefully including this in it but not so rare that it doesn't gain some gameplay from being an aura as opposed to an enchantment.

Mata vs Malikot

Parad vs Razor:

Parad's "Sealed Envelope" - This is very similar to a 2-card cycle which already exists in the form of mishra's bauble and urza's bauble. I don't think zero mana cantrips are a great design space because thinning a deck and doing nothing else isn't really conductive to any sort of gameplay and tends to just be part of min-maxing a deck's efficiency. The delayed gimmick is decent even though it has been done before because it does introduce some form of deckbuilding decision but i think its generally a slight one. This implementation is better than the baubles because it has some counterplay in the form of the artifact being destroyed, although i think that drawing one card is perhaps not a significant enough effect that it is generally worth spending a card destroying this. I think that zero mana cantrips (the baubles, street wraith, gitaxian probe, manamorphose i guess) have typically not produced very healthy gameplay although I might see the point in them in the right environment.

Razorborne's "Gift of the Whisper Child" - I like this card and don't have a lot to say about it. Its an interesting way to have black draw cards and I like the reminder text. There might be some ambiguity over the timing in situations where people aren't rules-savvy but I am guessing that won't be a significant enough problem to matter.

Parad vs Razor

Confused vs Mown:

Confused's "Whispers of the Fae" - I feel that this is a strange card and probably causes a lot of rule issues. I don't know whether or not it actually does because I'm not great with rules. My first concern would be that I'm not sure if you can respond to blocking the way you're doing although i could probably look up the timing of combat to figure it out. Tentatively I'm just going to assume it works out roughly how its written. I think this is probably jumping through a few too many hoops to really be worth what it does, though. Considering the complexity of the effect as is, i'm not sure why you also opted to put in the weird fairy tribal stuff. It does aid in evoking the flavour, I suppose. The effect itself is kind of neat although its hard for me to work out in my head what kind of effect it would have on combat math.

Mown's "Festering Parasites" - its a mostly worse mind control in black but mind control can stand to be a lot worse and still be good and i like this a lot. Nice flavour too.

Confused vs Mown

Shaz vs Curious Heartless:

Shaz's "Hunting Ogre" - I really like this and although i think i probably have a soft spot for cards of this nature that are aggressively costed and have the opponent make a choice i think that this specifically probably strikes a nice balance and has an effect that generates interesting gameplay and interacts with different board states in different ways, and can probably actually make the opponent think about what they want to choose which is a lot more than cards like vexing devil generally do.

CuriousHeartless' "Demand Tribute" - I feel like the wording is awkward to read, it took me a few parses to figure out what it did. In single player this card is pretty underwhelming because it just ends up being a convolutedly worded and extremely undertuned cruel edict. I don't think its necessarily problematic for cards to only be viable or even only functional in multiplayer formats, though. I don't play a lot of EDH nor have i spent much time considering the headspace but I imagine this card would be pretty interesting there as one would haev to consider the decisions that would be made by each player respectively. I also the sort of pseudorandom nature it has. There are potentially a lot of different viable outcomes to playing this card and your gameplan might progress differently depending on the outcome that emerges and that is something that promotes interesting gameplay I think.

Shaz vs Curious Heartless

Useless vs ELC:

UselessCommon's "Clock Tower of Cartesian Alignment" - Wow what a mouthful. I think that in practice the kind of gameplay this card will usually generate involves cheating or ramping it into play and then using tap effects to keep the opponent completely locked down while you grind towards whatever win-con you have that isn't disrupted by having all your stuff tapped. I don't think this is healthy gameplay. I don't know enough about large formats to know how oppressive this would be in them but its possible that the answer is "too oppressive". In a smaller environment it can presumably be balanced by making it too hard to get into play to be suitably competitive, which downgrades it to more of a fun combo piece. I like the flavour because it reminds me of the sorts of settings I used to dig a lot and I feel like the mechanics do a good job of evoking that flavour.

ELC's "Isolde, Herald of Cleansing" - the one-sided wrath effect is kind of weird. I feel like most of the time it just removes all their creatures (although in multiplayer there is probably somewhat more shenanigans) but its hard for me to really conceptualize what kind of different impacts this can have when you play it. The symetrical lifegain is also kind of weird and feels a little tacked on. The flavour is kind of hard for me to grasp. She's called the herald of cleansing and she exiles a bunch of stuff so it feels like she ought be be cleansing those people but the flavour text implies that she is actually rewarding the people that she exiles in which case cleansing just refers to the 4/5 whooping she's going to deal to the rest of the remaining creatures? IDK. I think the ETB effect is probably strong enough that it warrants an anti-reanimation clause or an "if you cast it from your hand" clause, especially because any deck that can recur this some number of times is going to be pretty oppressive.

Useless vs ELC

Jo vs Q:

Jo's "Geyeser Elemental": it feels weird that in order to make it unblockable you need to give it a bunch of toughness that won't matter because its unblockable. The toughness boosting still has utility for blocking and for attacking sometimes as well so that's fine.

Q's "Messenger of Fiery Justice": I imagine in practice that a deck that is running this card will probably win the game very soon or even immediately after playing it, as that seems to be the simplest way to play around the symetrical effect. This is fine though, since it requires you set up a board/hand that allows you to drop this and then win. I guess there could be some degenerate combos in large formats but that is nothing new. I can think of a lot of hands with this in it that can win on turn 1 or even before that. It does feel weird that it has 5 toughness when for all intents and purposes 5 toughness is always going to be the same as 1, although nothing wrong with sticking a few more 5s in there to make things more fivey. I like the 0 power thing because it kind of reinforces the image the card has as a messenger of armageddon, flying off in the background with her trumpet while everything goes to ****. The flying rarely does anything, although sticking flying on things for flavour reasons is largely fine. All in all I think its a moderately interesting combo piece and it makes me brainstorm about what the most efficient way to win with it is, so its probably doing its job alright. In commander it plays a lot differently because its drawback is both more of a danger, and its a lot harder to kill all of the remaining players as soon as you play it. I feel like its probably too splashy to be fun in commander though, since it very significantly warps the gamestate in a way that will feasibly result in one or more players losing the game soon, which I think is a little too much considering how easy it is to cast.

Jo vs Q

Yarium vs Azure:

Yarium's "Desperate Impulse" - Neat. I wonder if the gameplay this generates is really in line with red's playstyle though. I feel like I'd rather see this in mono-blue or red-blue or maybe red-green. It would be awkward to cost it as a multicoloured card though. I also feel like it might be a little too pushed. In a deck where you won't mind casting most of the cards you'll draw into, this is a lot of card quality for one mana. I wish I knew of a card more similar to this to compare it to, but currently i'm looking at the ponder line of cards, which have a lot of differences to this.

Azureshade's "Sunmote Seal" - I really like this and don't have a lot to say about it. Its elegant and it fills its niche really well.

Yarium vs Azure

Congratulations to those of who who have moved on. The next round should be up in less than two weeks.

If you have any contestions/comments/whatevers i'm all ears

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:17 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Good match UC.

@ Ragnarokio: the flavor is supposed to be reminiscent of Christianity's Rapture. However I didnt want to explicitly state 'Rapture' anywhere on the card, so I tried Cleansing instead. Any suggestions for better nomenclature would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:31 am 

Identity: Male
I'm going to hold off on CotW until this evening so I (and all of you) can go through these.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:54 pm 

Mouthful... ?
ELC's card: 48 words. (Including 2 keywords and a term "devotion")
My card: 32 words. (also, two sentences are almost completely similiar.)

You said pretty much nothing positive about ELC's card.

Your critique about my card:
"Mouthful (not),
Too oppressive when cheated into play, and abused".

Your critique of ELC's card:
"Flavor is off,
In 1v1, "devotion" ability will be redundant most of the time,
Symmetrical lifegain is out of place,
Too oppressive when cheated and/or recurred."

"I guess there could be some degenerate combos in large formats but that is nothing new." - Rag, about other member's card. (That costs 5 mana.)

Yeah, I'm losing in a weakest (second weakest ???) bracket...

(note to self: never enter contests of any kind because I'm too much of a sore loser. T_T )

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:57 pm 

Good match UC.

@ Ragnarokio: the flavor is supposed to be reminiscent of Christianity's Rapture. However I didnt want to explicitly state 'Rapture' anywhere on the card, so I tried Cleansing instead. Any suggestions for better nomenclature would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

But rapure =/= purification. Kind of opposite, isn't it ?
One is about removing the impure, other - about ascending the pure...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:59 pm 

This triple-post is sponsored by people who don't answer my PM's.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:19 pm 

Mouthful... ?
ELC's card: 48 words. (Including 2 keywords and a term "devotion")
My card: 32 words. (also, two sentences are almost completely similiar.)

You said pretty much nothing positive about ELC's card.

Your critique about my card:
"Mouthful (not),
Too oppressive when cheated into play, and abused".

Your critique of ELC's card:
"Flavor is off,
In 1v1, "devotion" ability will be redundant most of the time,
Symmetrical lifegain is out of place,
Too oppressive when cheated and/or recurred."

"I guess there could be some degenerate combos in large formats but that is nothing new." - Rag, about other member's card. (That costs 5 mana.)

Yeah, I'm losing in a weakest (second weakest ???) bracket...

(note to self: never enter contests of any kind because I'm too much of a sore loser. T_T )

the name is a mouthful, not the card text. the card text is fine, and long names are fine too. My biggest issue with your card was that iit was essentially exclusively a lockdown engine, which is largely anti-fun. Even assuming its balanced in its environment I still don't think it produces fun or interesting gameplay. As a combo piece there's really only one way to use it and it pretty much wins you the game once its turned on. ELC's card on the other hand could produce interesting situations and positive gameplay more feasibly, although it did still have a variety of issues.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
good match, Parad!

bring it, Mown.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:43 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Congrats JV! I couldn't have lost to a better designer.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Dudibus wrote:

wow rude I'm right here

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:43 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Alas. Well played, Jo.

Now to post my card except with 1 power in my card dump so Parad nominates it.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am 

With, I think the shortest positive review (maybe rivaling Mown's), I was really hoping for good news when I clicked on that spoiler block. Oh well, good luck with the rest of the contest Yarium. I'm counting on you to win this for us!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:02 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
razorborne wrote:
Dudibus wrote:

wow rude I'm right here

razor's got a point :duel:

i feel like the matchup between me and dudibus was a little stilted because judging our cards came down to a bit of a referendum on whether or not static abilities (other than "X can be your commander") belong on planeswalkers. man this bracket is brutal

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Hey now, my response was a social cliche designed to show acceptance of my judgement based on societal norms. I meant only I am happy to lose to JV because I know how good at this he is. I would have said the same to Razor :).

It was a brutal bracket but those are the best kinds of contests.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm 

I will Azure. I will.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next