It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

They are more flexible to design (as Hydras often have to deal with +1/+1 counters or variable power/toughness), probably easier to stick into settings (giant lizard should be easier to put in than mythological greek monster), and are much more popular than Hydras (no source but really).

Emrakulsaur

Creature -- Eldrazi Dinosaur
9/6
Emerge
When you cast Emrakulsaur, destroy up to three target noncreature permanents. For each permanent put into a graveyard this way, its controller creatures a 3/2 colorless Eldrazi Horror creature token.

Ulvenwald Rex

Creature -- Dinosaur
6/6
Reach, trample
Morbid -- At the beginning of your end step, if a creature died this turn, you may have Ulvenwald Rex fight target creature an opponent controls.

Vastwood Tyrant

Creature -- Dinosaur
5/7
Trample
Landfall -- Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, destroy target colorless permanent.

Sidisi's Ravager

Creature -- Dinosaur
7/7
Delve
Trample, reach, hexproof

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 am 

Identity: Male
I think that a lot of people would take issue with dinosaurs. Giant lizards people are okay with, but call it a "dinosaur" and suddenly it only belongs in niche settings within the fantasy genre.
Personally, I'm alright with it.
Vastwood Tyrant should probably specify nonland. Green isn't huge on land destruction.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 am 

Green gets Land destruction though usually more within a general "Noncreature" than specifically Land.

I think this is a smart idea and Hydras really aren't that great a choice for "Should have one or two a block and try to be pushed". Also yeah people who get hung up on Dinosaur because it sounds cheesy or specific or something are incredibly weird.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 pm 

green gets a decent amount of land destruction yeah

i don't think dinosaurs represent a very different fantasy than wurm, especially when you're focusing entirely on big green dinos

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:20 am 

Quote:
planeswalker-princess asked:
Were dinosaurs seen as a success? Could we see them more regularly, even in worlds that aren't about dinosaurs?

markrosewater said:
Dinosaurs are now something we consider for every world.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:55 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I love colorless destruction in green, and I really think there should have been a "Destroy target colorless permanent" Sorcery for in Rise of the Eldrazi, but isn't Vastwood Titan, like, spectacularly unfun? Nobody likes repeatable land destruction.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 am 

some people like repeatable land destruction

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
i don't want to associate with those people.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
but in regards to the point of the topic itself, rio you're absolutely right that dinos should be green's iconic. i figured that making them such was the entire reason for introducing them in the first place and so was surprised when there was any debate on the matter

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Objection 1: dinosaurs come in all sizes equally, and iconics are supposed to be BIG 90% of the time.
Objection 2: We have already established that some dinos can fly.
Objection 3: Too similiar to dragons.

Also, "nonland" is overrated. Repeatable LD is cool when it's balanced. BUT the Vastwood Tyrant in question can be quite oppressive with stuff like Scapeshift or Azusa...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm 

I don't think Hydras are more difficult to fit into a setting than Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs need a certain look or they become Wurms, Lizards, etc., whereas Hydras have a variety of phenotypes. They can be serpentine, botanical, draconic, arthropod-like, etc. They have demonstrated they are okay with Hydras with set power/toughness too. Hydras also better embody green's value of innate potential and growth, imo.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:49 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I'm OK with ditching Hydra as the iconic type, but I'd replace it with either Wurm or Beast.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'm OK with ditching Hydra as the iconic type, but I'd replace it with either Wurm or Beast.

I think the problem with those is that they're just not very evocative. Angels, Demons, and Dragons have a lot of cultural resonance tied to them, and they carry a certain awe-inspiring connotation. (Sphinxes do too, kinda, although not as strongly.) "Beast" is too generic a term for that, and I don't think Wurms are a popular enough trope to have that effect. Dinosaurs, on the other hand, are. there's an inherent cachet to the Tyrannosaurus that just isn't there for a really big worm.

of course, it has the problem that, unlike all the other iconics, Dinosaurs aren't particularly intelligent, but hey it's green what are you gonna do.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:53 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
treefolk for green president

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 pm 

razorborne wrote:
of course, it has the problem that, unlike all the other iconics, Dinosaurs aren't particularly intelligent, but hey it's green what are you gonna do.

:duel:

Fun fact about Wurms: They aren't particularly intelligent either.

Like this post