It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Now, please join me in welcoming our esteemed judges! This year, we are joined by Rumor, the third winner of YMTC Idol; Mown, the ninth winner of YMTC Idol and the second winner of Pro Tour YMTC; Dudibus, the third winner of Pro Tour YMTC; and razorborne, reigning champion of Pro Tour YMTC and former host of this contest!

This contest begins with seven week-long open entry rounds. Each round is separated by a week for at least three of our judges to rank the submissions. Should we only get two lists of rankings, I will step in and judge as needed. After those seven rounds have passed, the top seven contestants will secure their place in the quarterfinals. Then, a wild card round will be held, in which all users who participated in all seven open-entry rounds will have an opportunity to clinch the last slot. After that, it's a single-elimination tournament to decide who will be come the fifth champion of Pro Tour: You Make the Card!

As this is the fifth iteration of the Pro Tour, I thought a fitting focus would be the five colors of Magic. LilyStorm did a wonderful job conveying that theme in the beautiful banner up top. Now, allow me to present this year's first criteria!

Round 1

In Mark Rosewater's most recent Storm Scale column, he evaluated the mechanics of Mirrodin and Scars of Mirrodin blocks. Among these mechanics, he discussed the shortcomings of the Sunburst ability, which cares about the number of colors of mana used to pay for the spell. This mechanic proved to be unpopular and rigid, with very little design space.

Your task this round is to first read the Sunburst section of that article. Then, design a card that highlights the direction you would have taken with the five-color theme of Fifth Dawn. Ideally, your direction should overcome the shortcomings of Sunburst.

You have until 12 July 2018 at 22:30 CT to post your submissions. Best of luck to you!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:50 pm 

Raze the Reliquary
Sorcery
Converge - Destroy up to X target artifacts where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast Raze the Reliquary. You may draw a card and discard a card for each artifact destroyed in this way.
"There is no more room in this world for old ideas. Melt them down so that we may forge a new future." - Koth

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 pm 

Fifth Dawn's chromatic theme is justified in the flavor as the green sun being created, bringing a fifth dawn. As such, I feel the most suitable way of expressing that flavor is by showing reactions to the five suns. Listing out different effects per color is too unweildly and rigid, so I opted for novelty as a trigger.

Sunrise - Whenever you add a mana of a color you didn't add this turn, <effect>

Suntouched Rootwalla
Creature - Lizard [C]
Sunrise - Whenever you add a mana of a color you didn't add this turn, Suntouched Rootwalla gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1
Unlike reptiles on other planes, mirrodin's lizards have no need to bask at all. There is always at least one sun shining down on them at any given moment.

Last edited by YingLung on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 am 

Note on solar - a sun can only become dominant if a permanent with solar is on the battlefield.

Witness of the Suns
Creature - Elf Shaman (C)
Solar (The first type of mana produced each turn rises that color's sun to zenith. makes all sun not be in zenith.)
Witness of the Suns gets +1/+1 and has vigilance as long as a nongreen sun is in zenith.
2/2

Scratchpad - if it's in here, it's not my submission

Last edited by Knight Otu on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Ha, glad i used some fifth dawn art

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 am 

Thanks to the hosts and judges again for this! You folks are awesome! Ignore the browning of my nose, it's unrelated.

Quick question - are we required to create a card with Sunburst that tries to fix it? Or are we being given the freedom to explore "five color theme" in any way we wish?

Current Submission:

Sunrise Myr |
Artifact Creature - Myr | {U}
New Dawn — If five different colors have been added to mana pools since your last turn, Sunrise Myr has +3/+3 and flying.
"With so much energy from a new sun, the Myr will be sure to achieve new and exquisite forms."
[2/3]

Thoughts:
Okay, so I think this is really cool, and a MUCH better way to show off "five colors matter" without it affecting Limited QUITE as much. As you can see, you track the color of mana produced by all players. Once five different colors have been added, the New Dawn triggers. So, if there's fewer than 5 colors between you and your opponent, you can't trigger New Dawn at all. This means that you probably want to have 5 different lands in your deck anyways in Limited anyways, if you want to reliably trigger New Dawn, or you can risk it and go three or four colors instead. Savy opponents can trigger them early, but the effects do linger until your next turn. Importantly, since it counts ALL mana pools, you'll likely be setting off each player's New Dawn! If you can reliably get 4 colors of mana out, so long as your opponent has the 5th color, you'll be able to get it off very reliably. In multiplayer, New Dawn will be going off even more frequently, as it's much more common for your opponents to have all 5 colors between them. At the end of the day, you're rewarded for going 5 colours, will still be able to play a normal draft without it, and will have a blast during multiplayer!

workspace

Last edited by Yarium on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:08 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

You are not required to make a card with Sunburst. It could try to fix Sunburst, but MaRo suggested that there were a fair number of problems with it. You are welcome to go any direction you see fit as long as it supports the five-color theme of Fifth Dawn.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:56 am 

Bitter Demise
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target creature.
Prismatic - If you cast this spell with no colorless mana and no duplicate colors you may destroy two target creatures instead.
It’s not just about killing them, it’s about doing it creatively.

I wanted to reward people for casting a card using the maximum amount of colors possible while still allowing the card to be playable and functional in multiple formats (such as draft where 3 to 5 color decks can be difficult to build). It's a flexible mechanic that can create any desired effect and works with many different card types. Prismatic also has some fun interactions with Cascade and Expertise type cards since you still meet the casting requirements.

Last edited by OlahZep on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:19 pm 

Solar Flare (You may pay :w::u::b::r::g: rather than this card's mana cost to cast it) This could also be named "Sunburst" in the alternate universe where the Sunburst we got didn't exist. It can be used as a cost reduction, or...)

Zenith of Insight
:u:
Sorcery
Solar Flare
Scry 1, then draw a card. If Zenith of Insight's Solar Flare cost was paid, instead Scry 3, then draw three cards.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:04 pm 

Just as an aside; are we supposed to design a card that uses Sunburst but better than it was used in Fifth Dawn, make a card with a new "Sunburst-like" mechanic, or make a card that would have gone well with Fifth Dawn's 5-color theme that may or may not have any relevance to Sunburst.....or a fourth thing that I'm not getting?

Nevermind.

You are not required to make a card with Sunburst. It could try to fix Sunburst, but MaRo suggested that there were a fair number of problems with it. You are welcome to go any direction you see fit as long as it supports the five-color theme of Fifth Dawn.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:02 pm 

Dew Collector -
Creature - Human Shaman | R
Synthesize (When Dew Collector enters the battlefield, if you control a basic land of each type, draw a card. Otherwise, you may search your library for a basic land card that you don't control, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.)
: Add one mana of any type lands you control couldn’t produce.
3/3

Synthesize vs. Sunburst:
  • Sunburst only existed on artifacts. This limited design options.
    Synthesize has the flexibility to exist on artifacts, creatures, enchantments, lands, etc.
  • The function of Sunburst was two-fold: +1/+1 counters for artifact creatures and charge counters for noncreature artifacts. This prevented the mechanic from having a strong identity.
    Synthesize has a singular function across all permanents which helps with its identity. The power
  • Sunburst required resources ( mana) without providing you with a method to get those resources. This required a specific deck constraint.
    This is the part that I think Synthesize contributes the most. The mechanic itself allows you to fetch the basic lands necessary to enable other cards with Synthesize as well as their other abilities.
  • Added benefit of Synthesize: It uses similar design space as Explore in a way that's flavorful for the Mirrodin block as well as flexible enough to promote interesting designs such as the Dew Collector (note that is has the reverse Naga Vitalist ability).

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:29 pm 

Test User (1)
Refract X - This permanent has this ability when you have X different colors among permanent you control.

Arcane Kaleidoscope
Artifact
Refract 2 - , : Draw a card.
Refract 4 - : Untap this.
With every turn reads a unique spell.

Question: Do we just want a simple design to highlight the mechanic? coz I can crank the creativity up a notch if need be.

I understand it will be busy if you have a bunch of Refract at different number. But i really don't want to sacrifice its "scalability". I love the "level up" feel to it.

Last edited by theatog on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
The quality of the card itself will factor into the submission, make of that what you will.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Mown wrote:
The quality of the card itself will factor into the submission, make of that what you will.

to balance out Mown's ridiculous "consider the quality of your designs" judging policy, the only thing I will be evaluating is the name of your ability. all other factors will be ignored.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
It's ridiculous to judge the quality of a card in a card creation contest? :thinking:

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:20 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Does it have to be artifact-related too, or just 5-color?

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:08 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

It has to support the five-color theme of Fifth Dawn. If making your card artifact-themed helps your submission feel more like it fits in Mirrodin block, by all means go for it, but you are not required to design an artifact-themed card.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:54 am 

Hmm, kinda wip I guess.

Since Wiz is printing those misc cards like the exert, emblem markers, might as well make one with markers of 5 diff colors.

Sun Seeker -
Creature - Elf Druid
Zenith (Whenever you cast a spell, you may put a sun counter of any color of the mana spent to cast that spell on this creature if it doesn't share the same color as a sun counter already on this creature.)
: Add or one mana of any color of the sun counters on ~.
: Add . Activate this ability only if ~ has reached zenith. (A creature with five different colored sun counters on it has reached zenith.)
1/1

I will just go with this one. Yea, this mechanic gives a lot more things to track but I still like it enough. Maybe it is time to print the opposite of poliferate in the set.

Last edited by Confused on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:13 am 

Why are there five judges?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:47 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Q's not a judge (that I'm aware of)

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next