It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm 

has anyone, anywhere, ever made a sixth colour that was kind of maybe alright

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:17 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Flopfoot is probably the guy who has spent most on a sixth color so I'd say maybe his version is alright.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 am 

was a pretty good execution of a "sixth colour"

various colour pie redesigns seem alright but they generally aren't properly backwards compatible

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm 

Identity: Male
Reading the spoilers I came across Muldrotha, the Gravetide, and immediately flashed back to Wanuranti, Lich of the Lost from Starstill.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Crap, this forum is not looking good.
We have THREE card of the week threads in the first page now.
I was not here during the NGA's golden age, but, you know... it had PROJECTS a year ago. Plural.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm 

Yeah and back in the gleemax days we had tons of contests and threads would actually leave the first page in a day or two

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:19 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
honestly forums in general are in trouble, modern social media has somewhat pushed them out of the public conscience. but more than that, this place is suffering the same fate basically every offshoot forum does: it has no influx of new users. Gleemax worked because it was attached to the official site, which meant it had consistent natural foot traffic. people kept showing up, because they were looking for another thing and wound up on the forums. NGA doesn't have that: we tried a front page but it didn't work because we don't actually have the personnel to run that sort of operation, so we have no real way to get new people to join, and whenever someone leaves, they don't really get replaced. they may return, but overall we're definitely trending downwards.

that said... so what? I don't need this place to be crazy active. my friends are here, and it's a good place to hang out with them. I don't see the point in losing that just because that friend group is small. plus a lot of my friends who aren't here anymore still know this place exists, so they know they can come back and maybe see me here. it's not gonna be a self-sustaining major forum like Salvation or SCG. that was the dream years ago, but at this point it's pretty clearly failed at that. but I don't think that's really all that bad: NGA still has what I come to NGA for, and I suspect that's true for most of us who're still around.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 am 

No Goblins Allowed more like No Users Around

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Mata Hari wrote:
No Goblins Allowed more like No Users Around

reported

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 am 

Gleemax is probably the most active forum I've been active on. NGA is probably still more active overall than most of the forums I've been on, and i've been foruming for probably 15 years now. Typically the forums I'd be active on had about 20 active users tops, and everyone knew everyone else.

I haven't felt like forums in general have been dying, although it could be that the effects can be felt more on the larger forums than they can on the small community forums.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm 

Yeah, without artsy and technical minded people to put together a frontpage, we were doomed to a slow decline. That and/or advertising.
I guess I'm okay with it though. Mind you, if anybody with the capability does want to take another stab at it...

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 pm 

Someone may write a TVtropes article ?..

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
The forum is dead because there's no reason to be here except for the people that are already here. First of all, we'd need a niche. NGAC was a good idea; if it didn't just end up as an unmanageable broken mess that nobody played, it could have been a real draw. We'd be the forum where people host tournaments with magic cards, and other designers might dream of their cards being a part of our format. I think our main draw right now is the MTG Arena community, or at least it was. We lack a reputation, so nobody comes here except people who want to shill their kickstarters.
Secondly, the site probably needs to be more mobile friendly. It's not the most pleasant browsing experience.
And third, we just need more people.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
hi mom

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm 

If we had more people like cky, passionate about ngac and ported it to discord it would be so nice. I would totally stream games of that and stuff.

But yeah just the shear time cost of managing the thing is bleh

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

i don't think the time commitment is too unreasonable. the bigger part is the administrative finesse and finding the card base, i think. NGAC basically just used every NGA set and then did ongoing balance for cards people thought were bonkers. I don't know if that sort of model will be successful in the way mown is imagining. I think to better fulfill mown's vision you'd want to be more discriminating in what cards you accept into the format, and then manage things like events and balancing in the right way.

Marketing is sometihng you could probably spend a lot of extra time on and get returns from. Fantasy fantasy card design seems way larger now than it was in the gleemax days, but they're splintered over a lot of communities. I know the one other community i lurk in regularly does playtests but i don't know if they have a constructed format. If there isn't a big constructed format, or even if there's only a big constructed format, then there's potentially a lot to be gained by forming strong connections to those communities and collaborating to make a sort of cross-community constructed format, which i imagine would be a bigger timesink.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
ebb and flow of this forum is natural and organic. diaspora of mid-2000s era Gleemax YMTC posters will roam the internet until the planet turns to dust. if NGA itself dies we'll go somewhere else although i do feel that the phpbb-framework is important to to our tradition. forums generally whip sack and it's a shame that good things fade

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:49 pm 

CKY's every set gets in approach made the format too unwieldy and unkempt. Huge power level and design quality discrepancies. And just too many cards to keep track of. I think getting in should have require at least hosting a shakedown playtesting event.
As I understand Cockatrice, you can now plug in any number of custom sets in addition to the official card database. That would make testing with people on other forums easy. Just install one plugin and go. That leaves communication as the only hurdle. Eventually some sets will catch on as the ones everybody uses, while others will be niche.
Putting together all those sets into a cohesive format would require power balancing. Since people like different power levels, but they don't interact too well, that necessitates a tier system.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 am 

Perfection.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:39 pm 

Why are you posting 2 year old memes

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next