It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 am 

I feel that these days magic story is basically an exercise in checkbox writing, where the writer in question is just ticking of the plotpoints and the characters that need to appear. This makes the stories often feel bland and uninventive. Character development often feels slow and jarring; only rarely do we see the gatewatch go through profound emotional experiences (Jace's journey in Ixalan being an exception, and one rightfully applauded). I know it's meant in part for a teenage demographic, but i read the old magic novels in my teens and they didn't play it as safe as the story does these days, yet i loved many of them.

Just my 2 cents :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:19 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): RETURN TO DOMINARIA: EPISODE 12

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 am 

"You really should have read the details of your pact more closely, Liliana. You seem unaware that with your demons dead, your contract defaults to its broker. Me."

I'm not gonna lie, the story was just fine until that line. Yeah, we saw it coming, but what a rotten ending for Dominaria is it to have followed Liliana's arc for ten years only to be slapped in the balls like that by Magic Origins after all? Add that to the fact that we still don't know who the goddamn Raven Man is. What was even the point of making Lili native to Dominaria, she doesn't seem to know **** about it anyway. I'm adding Liliana to my deathlist along with the rest of the Origins Five like I should have done years ago.

Oh, and for a creative direction that supposedly doesn't like "handwaving the deepest details of how their universe works" or whatever, there were definitely too many 'walkers looking at aether trails from inside a plane.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 pm 

About the interview: whether you like the changes or not, hiring someone whose primary job is to manage the production of the story and liaise with the authors and creators is a major investment and a recognition of how much value the story has been providing since its renaissance. This is vastly better than the writing and management having to be crammed in and around the Worldbuilding team's other massive responsibilities.

If only this hadn't come after they spent the last couple of years losing or firing three-quarters of the people responsible for that renaissance.

This is the story that suffered the most from the crunch. You can feel that they wanted to do more with Radha, in particular, but didn't have the space. All told, I think this whole installment ended up a little scuffed and bruised by the massive back-end changes. We'll have to see what the next arc is like come Core Set 2019.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 pm 

I'm sad-faced that first Radha was in the Cabal Pits in Urborg of all places with no real explanation as to how or why the Cabal was able to nab the effective leader of the Keldon Horde and nobody know about it....and then, after all that mess we get no interaction banter between her, Jhoira, and Teferi? Nothing?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:41 pm 

Also, final comic image:

Quote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Episode 12, the one with the unnecessary name drops.

For wanting things to feel more "organic" a lot of this sure felt forced as hell. Radha, Urgoros, Yargle, they seriously didn't need to be mentioned in the story at all. Just keep them on the cards.
Part of the wonder of Magic used to be that the multiverse felt so BIG. Not that way anymore, for sure. That ending was a little rough too, and I fully expect Liliana and at least 2 between Karn, Teferi, and Jaya to die next block in rather letdownish ways to "up the stakes."

After Ixalan being so good this went south real fast. I can only assume the decision to have Core 19 story (why was that I wonder) really did serious damage.

But the last thing I would ever call this storywriting is "organic." Maybe compare it to Stevia instead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:36 pm 

I'll be honest, I kinda checked out the week after the Teferi back story.
As much as I thought it was a good story, it didn't belong anywhere in this arc. It devastated the story momentum.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 pm 

I absolutely detest the lack of characterisation of Belzenlok. He was supposed to be the main villain, but neither he nor the cabal (who we are assured time and time again form a threat to the entire plane) feel like chumps. If a hero is only as good as its villain, the heroes must be poor indeed! Such a missed oppertunity. Belzenlok got some 10 lines in total? Preposterous. The first story's intro about the cabal and the blackblade gave us more exposé on the cabal than the rest of the story combined. Really, really bad plotting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:14 pm 

Did the Gatewatch forget about Garruk?

Did Bolas forget about Garruk?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:19 pm 

Did Creative forget about Garruk?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:27 pm 

Did the Gatewatch forget about Garruk?

Did Bolas forget about Garruk?

... when did Bolas even know about Garruk?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 pm 

Surprise twist: Liliana lures Garruk to Ravnica to kill Bolas.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:37 am 

I'm super pissed to read that Liliana didn't even read her contract(s) properly. I'm left with either taking her for a complete trash character, or taking the creative team as complete trash, or both. If it had been something like her memory of the details was erased somehow, as part of the deal with Bolas to hide her secrets from Jace or something, I'd be okay with it, but not even reading her contract(s) properly? That is beyond stupid for a magically enforceable contract. If she hadn't properly read it, why would she assume she could kill her demons in the first place?

I'm actually kinda hoping they kill her off now so we can get a half-way competent black mage to replace her among the face focus walkers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:08 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Surprise twist: Liliana lures Garruk to Ravnica to kill Bolas.

That made me crack a smile.

After some time digesting this information, I agree that a lot of this stuff is disappointing because a lot of things were forced into the story. Not to mention how incompetent Liliana was and how that dragged the story down even further.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:13 pm 

I'm super pissed to read that Liliana didn't even read her contract(s) properly. I'm left with either taking her for a complete trash character, or taking the creative team as complete trash, or both. If it had been something like her memory of the details was erased somehow, as part of the deal with Bolas to hide her secrets from Jace or something, I'd be okay with it, but not even reading her contract(s) properly? That is beyond stupid for a magically enforceable contract. If she hadn't properly read it, why would she assume she could kill her demons in the first place?

I'm actually kinda hoping they kill her off now so we can get a half-way competent black mage to replace her among the face focus walkers.

They are trying to play into that trope of "demonic contract that person gets tricked by the fine print" but they did it in such a sour way.

The more I read everyone's complaints, which are almost all completely founded, the more I feel cutting out the second Dominaria set so they could.... tell Core Set story??? .... really ruined a lot of this story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:51 pm 

I don't know that it ruined a lot of this story. The character development pieces at the beginning---Liliana and Gideon facing Josu, initial vignettes of Tiana and Arvad and other crewmembers, the rebuilding and recruiting of the Weatherlight, Teferi's post-Mending life---were quite lovely. I'm glad they decided to keep them as it would have been very easy for the team and/or Ms. Wells to justify scrapping them in favor of trying to fit in more of the plot they'd planned for the two sets of the block. It definitely shortchanged the climax and the arcs of the Cabal, Belzenlok, and Radha.

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 am 

The ending REALLY soured the story for me. I was very much enjoying it until we got to the points you could tell were truncated, and now that really effects my view of the story as a whole.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am 

Fair enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 am 

Today's not-UR (Magic Story): Alison Luhrs takes us on a tour of Kylem!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279  Next