It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:15 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I would say:

:g:: Jethro Tull. Anderson et al's work really resonates with me. It's not only its frequently pastoral subject matter, even its depictions of people are atavistic and primal. And everything in their music feels unimaginably old, as though it's tied to something primordial and eternal.

:w:: Johnny Cash. As an atheist, I think that listening to Johnny Cash's music has gotten me the closest I've ever been to being religious. It really conveys the sense of the omnipotent, the sense of moral weight, the idea that there is some universal, immutable force of law against whose will we are all helpless and to whom we are all beholden. Cash's music is about law and justice, about its goodness and mercy, but just as much about its frightful, inexorable power.

:u:: Bob Dylan. Dylan's songs are convoluted mazes of meaning that don't seem like they should make any sense, yet somehow do. His work is filled with double-entendres, allegories, symbolism, and surrealism, a piece of art within the broader art piece that is that character of Bob Dylan. You're left perpetually unsure whether you are understanding his work or interpreting it.

:b:: The Who. The music of The Who is a pure expression of desire and ambition, unadulterated by concern for others or even the self. It's reckless, selfish, indifferent, and, for good or for ill, unapologetic.

:r:: The Clash. That lyric about "I won't open letter bombs for you"? That's based on one of the members' previous jobs opening letters for British bureaucrats so that they wouldn't be the one blown up if someone mailed a bomb to them. The Clash's music is about freedom. Not, as in the case of The Who, to do whatever you wish without having to worry about the people you tread on along the way. Not freedom to be a tyrant, but freedom from tyrants.

What would you put as your five?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:35 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Green Phish, or Hottie & the Blowfish. Jam bands are about the community around them, and let their music flow naturally when playing.

Black Kanye West, the modern rock star, the apex of ego, the "greatest no matter what" mindset, and he's talented to boot.

Red (rakdos), Eminem. The man is just a giant furious ball of emotion.

Blue (Izzet), Beethoven, a creative mind with a tendency towards strange moments (constant revision of past songs, and much of what he did at the time was unorthodox)

White IDK. Some hardcore structural group, or maybe even a marching band.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:44 pm 

is pretty much anything, really. Its the colour of passion and emotion, so any song goes.

, and love pop music because its manufactured garbage.

loves ethnic music because it enjoys connecting to cultural heritage.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 pm 

:w:: Handel (and Classical music in general). Classical music has as much precision to it as complexity, and is a music born more of accuracy than of freeform expression. :w: would also appreciate the old, traditional, vetted nature of classical, the fact that it is associated with edifices and high culture. The orchestral nature of a lot of classical is also very :w:, rejecting the individual in favor of making something greater out of the group. I picked Handel in particular due to Messiah being one of his best known works.

:u:: Hatsune Miku (and Vocaliod in general). Artifice, novelty, and innovation without egoism. Miku represents futurist sensibilities, as well as the work of many minds abandoning to a degree the egoism of personal accomplishment and especially discarding the need for "Talent" (especially the idea of talent that can't be taught and replicated) in favor of a technological solution. By creating a digital idol singer that anyone could be able to use, power is moved away from the performer who does and to the songwriter or composer who thinks, which is essentially :u:.

:b:: Metallica (And a lot of Metal in general). Metal, including the work of Metallica, tends to have grim lyrics with themes that :b: loves, commenting on hopelessness and destruction. It's known for having a loud, powerful presence which fit's :b:'s pride, and to :b:'s Egoism, it may often seem like every Metal band has their own sub-category (or two) of Metal. Thrash Metal, Speed Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Power Metal, the list goes on... Artists carve their own personal space in the genre. Metallica is just one of the big names in a genre that speaks to :b:.

:r: Louis Armstrong (And Jazz in general). Music itself has a :r: element, in that it tends to express some form of passion, and technically the whole of the emotional spectrum is in :r:'s domain. Jazz, however, has some distinction of having a long-standing respect for improvization, rather than formula, which makes it a more :r: brand of music than most. Armstrong in particular was known for his improvisational skill.

:g:: Loreena Mckennitt (And Folk/World in general). Her songs include a lot of traditional material, and often times it seems like her lyrics are more a matter of "Voice as an instrument" even if there is a ballad story there. However, there's a soothing and peaceful element to most of her work, rather than it typically being an expression of 'hot' emotion. There's a palpable feel of :g:'s reactionary side here, even if in a pleasant way.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 pm 

I'm pretty sure and are goffs/punkz, and are preps and is a poser.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 am 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Brahms
Bach
Mozart
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Identity: Male
I don't have 5, but for :G: I pick Bob Seger and the Silver bullets. Old school, analogue rock focused on the past and especially the heritage of rock in general. He stands like a rock against the flow of time, because he likes the old time rock and roll and today's music ain't got the same soul. Many of his songs are framed as an older Bob Seger looking back on his glory days. It's just like old saying- Rock And Roll never forgets. And neither does Bob Seger.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post