It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: DOMINARIA Flavor Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 pm 

PAX is happening and some Dominaria arts are being revealed... one woman got A LOT buzzing...

Discuss?

(p.s. Is this a bit premature or what not?... Do tell...)

Attachments:
IMG_20171118_012143.jpg
IMG_20171118_012143.jpg [ 149.42 KiB | Viewed 6836 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm 

If this is what I imagine this has to be, this is awesome. I absolutely love seeing something like this out of Wizards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:37 pm 

I can't imagine this being anything other than Jaya Ballard PW. We're 60 years post-mending so I guess she'd biologically in her 80's? Checks out.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:38 pm 

I'll take grandma Jaya.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm 

After looking at the art for the Jaya Ballard, Task Mage I think that is fully what they are going for here! And they have been dropping flavor hints here and there about her.

Still, there is going to be a lot of older magic lore fans (or at least those familiar with it) who will want to know how she is here...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:03 pm 

I suspect there are some folks that will be pissed she's still around solely because that means she's been around and we've had Chandra instead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:35 pm 

I suspect that she's going to make an appearance ala "Grandmother Toph" in Avatar: LoK and be awesome, but old and ready to let the newer, younger generation of 'Walkers deal with all this world-saving crap.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm 

Most likely. Unless they plan to get rid of Chandra, which is unlikely.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 pm 

Let me be clear, I'm cool with Chandra (though they've been writing her poorly as of late) but I know there are people that have been complaining about her for years.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
More pieces of art from the panel.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 pm 

A stained glass sword seems ill-advised...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
you could use various gemstones of high quality to get that sort of look and still have a functional sword. Also magic.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 am 

I love the quality of art here. The elves look bad*** and the wind Mage on the bottom has works well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 am 

1) The heck is that dome!?
2) So... New Benalia confirmed?
3) Just intensely curious which elven culture that is.
4) Tolaria West confirmed. Also possibly another in the line of Zephy mages?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 am 

I have to say, it seems very healthy compared to Time Spiral.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 pm 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
Things have changed a lot in the last sixty years.

#WOTCstaff

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am 

I was kinda disappointed when Nahiri wasn't super old in SoI so I'm glad that Jaya is super old here because man nothing else would've made sense. Except for like... magic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
grimdark llanowar

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 pm 

Dominaria means a lot to me, so for now I mostly just want to wait and see in order to keep it fresh when the set comes out. On the other hand, I have a couple of things to say about that Jaya thing...

I can't imagine this being anything other than Jaya Ballard PW. We're 60 years post-mending so I guess she'd biologically in her 80's? Checks out.
She was about 40 when she ascended, so it would actually be closer to 100 years. But speaking of biological age, there is a huge catch to this whole thing, and that's the fact that her age should have caught up with her after the Mending unless she was in some sort of stasis like Nahiri. It's what happened to Bolas and probably to Liliana, though Lili's story in Origins phrased that part somewhat ambiguously. My point is, they can't just bring back random Oldwalkers without providing an explanation for why they didn't age out and die. The rapid aging that was established for Bolas comes from Alara Unbroken, and since that was written by Doug, they can't simply dismiss it by saying it was written by a freelance writer and Creative didn't have full control over it or some nonsense like that. So...
Still, there is going to be a lot of older magic lore fans (or at least those familiar with it) who will want to know how she is here...
...this. An elegant and very nostalgic way out would be to say the planeswalker(s) she was battling didn't kill her (as Jodah thought) but put her in an Amber Prison. You know, like in Mirage or the Planeswalker War storyline. If someone busted her out of the amber about 20 years after the Mending, she would have aged normally from then on, making her about 80 now in terms of biological age. But since Creative don't care anymore how anything works in their universe (time travel, instant planeswalking, gorgon death gaze, the Meditation Plane...) and aren't really into providing explanations where they would be needed, I have no reason to be optimistic about it. Oh, and Jaya totally owes Jodah an apology for not picking up the phone in a century or so.

One thing I noticed when I first saw the image was that her clothes look vaguely Keralian and that she's wearing the goggles that are supposed to be on a pedestal at Keral Keep (which never made much sense in the first place, but let's not go there). Then I found this article: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles/49 ... rd-returns
Jay theorises that Jaya was Mother Luti all along, plus some other weird stuff about Heliod that I'm not really a fan of. The article also gets the pre- and post-Origins layers of continuity mixed up and thus isn't really accurate in some places. But the Luti part I could see being a thing. It's not even that out there; it's certainly something that involuntarily crossed my mind when reading TPF and that I remember joking about on this board a while ago. I've always liked Mother Luti, and she is one of the few recurring characters from the novels that have been well written and felt consistent with the books in Uncharted Realms, so her being Jaya wouldn't even be that bad if the execution isn't terrible.

Barinellos wrote:
I suspect there are some folks that will be pissed she's still around solely because that means she's been around and we've had Chandra instead.
Since I already said that exact thing at least two years ago, yeah, count me among 'some folks'. On the other hand, at this point there's hardly anything that could make me loathe Chandra even more than I already do, so Jaya being around wouldn't even do that much additional damage. Of course there's still the problem that we're probably going to be stuck with Chandra again rather than Jaya after Dominaria, but since this might very well be my last Magic set for a very long time, it doesn't really concern me. At the end of the day, there are so many planes, characters and story arcs (pretty much anything really) that I would have rather followed than what we actually got in the last couple of years, so it hardly matters anymore.

Those other images look... kinda weird? Like, what's up with those rocks behind Tolaria West? And I really didn't want to see painfully digital looking styles like in that last image. It just doesn't fit Dominaria. The Llanowar elves are probably going to look okay at card size, but I hope not all of them have hipster haircuts instead of proper mohawks now. At least they captured the slightly bestial look of their faces that originally defined them and that's described in the Encyclopedia Dominia, and I'm excited to learn how their culture has changed, if it has changed at all.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:52 pm 

No wonder why I can't really tell who those elf guys are.

No, not really. There were several different factions that have elves in Time Spiral that I don't know which of those they are.
What elf factions are alive in Dominaria right now?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next