Post subject: A good article
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm 

http://oldschoolron.blogspot.ca/2018/02 ... r.html?m=1

An interesting read. I dont think many will agree but I do and its interesting

Like this post

Post subject: Re: A good article
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 am 

Identity: Male
Is old school magic art better because because the artists back then took into account how small the reproduced images would be?
It's an interesting argument, but I can't buy into it unless he gives me examples- either specific cards/art descriptions, or general trends. I can't say he's right or wrong just off the art I have memorized in my head. I suppose artists today might be hoping to get their art printed on a playmat or featured in the promotional material. I don't actually know if they get payed extra for that though. (When Mohrbacher quit I'm pretty sure that was one of his complaints)

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm 

Examples? imo the proof is in the pudding. compare mark tedins old art to mark tedins most recent art. compare dan frazier to raymond swanland. compare anson maddocks to alecksi briclot. compare doug shuler to clint clearley

yeah new magic art is impressive from a technical standpoint, but it mostly fails as card art imo
cluttered, busy mishmashes of color and texture
the amount of truly simple, iconic art nowadays is eclipsed a thousandfold compared to sets like ice age, ABU, or the dark

whereas i can easily recognize old school cards from tables over, i struggle to differentiate cards my own opponent is playing with anything from... lets say... 2009 on

im not saying all modern art is like this... but there is a visible trend, and to deny this (not targeted at anyone as nobody has outright denied it yet) is either blindness or lunacy imo

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:51 am 

Reviving this discussion because I missed it was it happened.

The article fails to take one thing into account: the physical cards are not the only place the art is seen. That was the case with the early art, which is why the artists accounted for that, but modern Magic art is seen in previews, on Oracle, and in digital versions of the game. All of those contexts allow to viewer to see details not noticable at card size.

Also, with thousands of cards in existence, there are only so many ways to make a Human soldier or a burn spell look unique without adding detail. There is more iconic early art because less of the creative space had been used.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:00 am 

The more complex a piece, the better it is for me, so no, old magic art is not necessarily better.

Plus, it just makes seeing the full pic all that more full of surprises.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post