It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shandalar Catch-Up
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm 

I want to have some kind of information as to what a Shandalar block would look like if it was set in the current timeline.

However I'm a bit weak regarding keeping tons of information in my head so I would like some help with this concept.

-PD

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Shandalar Catch-Up
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:37 pm 

Thune seems to be in a stand off against other countries.

The Onakke ghosts seem restless what with the veil at play.

(fake)Slivers are stirring up a lot of concern as an invasive species establishing itself.

And Talrand is rallying the oceans to make a move against the surface dwellers.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Shandalar Catch-Up
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm 

I guess there'd also be more of Yisan, the Wanderer Bard and Jalira, Master Polymorphist adventuring together. Riku of Two Reflections has also been confirmed to be from Shandalar, which means there might be a cool plotline with whoever set up the Command Beacon. Sadly, whatever was going on with that Xathrid Gorgon and her quest was rendered completely meaningless when they retconned how the gorgon gaze works (she accidentally petrified the dude she was going to sacrifice, which clashes with Creative's new approach).

There is also the open question of how Ob Nixilis got rid of the Chain Veil and how it ended up back in the Onakke catacombs where Liliana picked it up (not a big deal, could be dealt with in one flashback scene). And to be honest, I'm pretty sure the Raven Man and the spirits in the Veil are just waiting for Lili to finish off her last demon before they fully take control of her, planeswalk back to Shandalar and kick off whatever "Root of Evil! Vessel of Destruction!" plot they have in store for her. Or they might start hunting down whoever was behind the Onakke's extinction in the first place. And I still have this random headcanon that Sorin's sword is an Onakke artefact that he got from them when they were still around, but that's neither here nor there.

However, the thing that I would want the most out of a visit to Shandalar would be for it to reconcile the old Shandalar from the comics and the Microprose game with the new Shandalar from the Core Sets and the Chain Veil storyline. They should bring up Shandalar's special mana a bit more, and we finally need an explanation why the Great Barrier is gone, or what happened to Arzakon, or whether the guilds are still active in some shape or form, all that stuff. Ideally we'd get a map with all old and all new locations. Turning Eloren Wilds into a card was a step in the right direction. Also, a mythic cycle of those big old dragons (Astral Dragon, Faerie Dragon etc.).

Like this post