Make fblthpt a walker and everyone would be ecstatic

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:46 am 

Someone managed to get a bit of blurb about Vivien from the survey:

Quote:
Vivien hails from a tribe of forest dwellers whose homeland was already threatened by encroaching civilization. When her plane itself was destroyed, Vivien managed to escape with the Arkbow, a piece of advanced magical technology capable of “storing” the essence of any creatures Vivien encounters. After seeing the impact of civilization on her home, Vivien now travels the planes, seeking out the essences of new creatures on her mission to ultimately restore balance to the Multiverse.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
The idea of going around and collecting creatures sounds familar...

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 pm 

I can't take the survey, or was too late, it registers as "Temporarily closed" and has since I tried.

That said, I don't know if I would have given Wizards good feedback anyway or if I would have just gotten troll-y and tried to rickroll them with their demographic data or spark the design of a planeswalker based on a mash-up of Queen lyrics. I'd like to say I'd play nice but there's always a temptation to just slip something in there just to make the world a weirder place.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:48 pm 

I'd like if Vivien ends up being some sort of planar ecologist who goes around "rescuing" creatures from doomed worlds by trapping their essence in her bow. I wonder if she has some sort of sancuary on some backwater world where she lets the animal spirits roam occasionally.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:10 am 

It seems to be working again, at least when you click the link on the website. That survey is reeeeally long, but I'll gladly take any opportunity to make my voice heard, it's not like a Vorthos can be picky with those things.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:01 am 

Is it still working now? I can't find a link.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 am 

My last check said they had all the feedback they wanted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:57 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Skimming over, just want to mention something:

Either Digges or Fleischer said on Twitter yesterday that these aren't hard and fast descriptions of these walkers.
Considering they didn't mention the fact Karn can move through time, I think that's fair.

Ashiok, based on that description, sounds like a Dementia Sorcerer. Would make sense.

But yeah, the Vivien thing just screams "chick Garruk without story baggage" to me. Not enticed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm 

I like the idea of Vivien; there are parallels to Garruk to be sure, but also interesting nuances. Even before being cursed, Garruk was always themed around the primal strength of green and forceful assertion of dominance. Even leaving aside her description, the image of Vivien suggests absolutely nothing like that. Considering the blurb (which may or may not turn out to be accurate anyway), there's a significantly different flavor to her motivations and goals. So I don't think its correct to lump her and Garruk into the same "green people who hunt stuff" pile.

She may turn out to be a badly-written character in a boring story that goes nowhere, but she's definitely going to be different.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:27 pm 

looks like it's open again:

Quote:
wizardsmagic

Planeswalker Survey

Hey there! We’re still looking for a bit more feedback on our Planeswalkers in this survey! If you haven’t taken it already, check it out. The survey will close later this afternoon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I'm not sure how I was supposed to answer the whole "Tell me how well this description fits this character". Was I supposed to divorce my established knowledge?
also I submitted a kithkin that throws around spell bombs while trying to learn what it's like to have a distinct personality, but I'm not expecting much.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:38 pm 

I still like the power-set for Teferi the Timelord...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm 

I like Teferi, but man, I hate any character description that starts out "The most powerful ______ in the ______." It just reeks to me of insecure writers trying to artificially inflate the perceived importance/strength of their characters. It's like a kid making up a character and calling "dibs" on it being the "best" character, like "My time mage is the MOST powerful! I called!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm 

I like Teferi, but man, I hate any character description that starts out "The most powerful ______ in the ______." It just reeks to me of insecure writers trying to artificially inflate the perceived importance/strength of their characters. It's like a kid making up a character and calling "dibs" on it being the "best" character, like "My time mage is the MOST powerful! I called!"

Look Teferi did not go through decades of time trapped in a time explosion and lifetimes after studying time magic and experimenting with chronological conjunctures.....and then lifetimes more being the 'Walker who phased out a whole country in time and space....to not be constantly referred to by his earned honorifics...as Dr. Teferi Timington the 1st, Lord Arcane Chronologist and Master of all things Timely. :V

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:01 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Teferi is the most powerful time mage though, and that little blurb is really nice and fitting.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:59 pm 

LilyStorm wrote:
Teferi is the most powerful time mage though, and that little blurb is really nice and fitting.
Agreed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:59 pm 

Actually took the survey. He's not the only one who got that mark on my chart. At least one other did (Trying to remember who), and chandra got a qualified "Possibly the most powerful" for pyromancy.

I took my sweet time telling them why Nissa was a bad character, why I liked Dovin Baan, and that they should have a shiny new character I realized about two thirds of the way through the pitch was pretty much me re-creating the M:EM's Ellia by deriving the hole that "We need a grand, scheming villain who's different than Nicol Bolas"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:58 pm 

I dislike descriptions that state "X is the most powerful Y in the universe/multiverse" because it is likely to be wrong. Considering how mind-bogglingly infinite the multiverse (or any fictional universe) probably is, there is almost certainly someone out there that beats character X when it comes to Y.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 pm 

Blitzer wrote:
I dislike descriptions that state "X is the most powerful Y in the universe/multiverse" because it is likely to be wrong. Considering how mind-bogglingly infinite the multiverse (or any fictional universe) probably is, there is almost certainly someone out there that beats character X when it comes to Y.
Sure, unless the character in question is that proverbial individual that would beat all other comers in a given field. Even in a supposedly infinite area, there's usually a determinable "best" in any given explore-able space.

Like this post