It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Core Set 2019 Flavor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:56 pm 

First, a bit of news:

Quote:
There Are Five Core Set 2019 Planeswalker Decks

I've seen a number of people guess this might be the case, and well, gold stars to you. Core Set 2019, and core sets generally, are great on-ramps for newer players, so we're making Planeswalker Decks a bit friendlier to new players. Core Set 2019 will have five Planeswalker Decks, one for each color. Most sets will only have two Planeswalker Decks going forward. Here are the other changes coming for Core Set 2019:

We're dropping the suggested retail price to $10.99 (down from $14.99. All suggested prices apply to North America only.)
We'll be including one booster pack instead of two.
They've been designed to better integrate with Welcome Decks.

Additionally, we'll be allowing Wizards Play Network stores to sell Planeswalker Decks at the Open House one week prior to the Core Set 2019 Prerelease, much earlier than before. That way new players can get a deck with the most current cards (future cards, even) right from the start.

WeeklyMTG launches on Twitch.tv/magic in June!

It's been a long-time coming, but Magic is finally getting its first official weekly Twitch show! The current plan, though plans may shift between now and then, is to air episodes on twitch.tv/magic on Thursdays from 2–3 p.m. PT (5–6 p.m. ET/9–10 p.m. UTC). We'll be sharing news from inside the building, talking with the people who make the game, and doing fun things like opening a Limited Edition (Beta) booster pack on air. Mark Rosewater will, naturally, be our first guest, and we'll also be chatting with the author of the Core Set 2019 story arch (whose name we aren't announcing just yet). For our second episode, we'll be joined by Bill Rose and Charlie Catino, two of the longest-tenured employees at Wizards of the Coast who have been here basically from the beginning. They'll be reminiscing over 25 years and looking forward to the birthday celebrations we're holding.

The Core set is getting five 'Walker decks and a real story arc. Bets are high among story fans that the green deck will be Vivian and that we will be introduced to her there as Nissa is no longer part of the Gatewatch.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Core Set 2019 Flavor
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:14 am 

Looks like it might pick up a bit on Shandalar.
Heavens know we have a fair few plots for that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am 

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018 ... nd-tarkir/

Colour me disgusted.

Not only did they axe the second set that Dominaria would have desperately needed for a random core set, it's also about bloody Tarkir and its fake Elder Dragons. I swear, they've lost their marbles. Like, all of them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Maybe we can learn what's up with Ugin finally.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:26 pm 

If Tumblr can be believed, he dated Bolas for a while and has since suffered a bad break-up.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:01 pm 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018/06/mtg-m19-core-2019s-story-will-feature-ugin-nicol-bolas-and-tarkir/

Colour me disgusted.

Not only did they axe the second set that Dominaria would have desperately needed for a random core set, it's also about bloody Tarkir and its fake Elder Dragons. I swear, they've lost their marbles. Like, all of them.

Not those Elder Dragons!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:03 pm 

WotC_Ethan wrote:
https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018/06/mtg-m19-core-2019s-story-will-feature-ugin-nicol-bolas-and-tarkir/

Colour me disgusted.

Not those Elder Dragons!
I do look forward to finding out Ugin's Elder Dragon status, if nothing else.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 pm 

WotC_Ethan wrote:

Colour me disgusted.

Not those Elder Dragons!

Well, THAT'S definitely a positive note.
Seriously and sincerely.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 pm 

Honestly, I hope he is an elder dragon, even if it retcons the survivor count. It would streamline flavour and it makes the whole thing slightly less asinine.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:27 pm 

WotC_Ethan wrote:

Colour me disgusted.

Not those Elder Dragons!

Ethan, have we told you lately that no matter our differences with the current direction of the story, your presence is much appreciated?

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 pm 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
You're too kind!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 pm 

Identity: Male

Colour me disgusted.

Article just makes it sound like we're finally getting the full scoop on the Ugin/Bolas conflict. I wouldn't mind finding out more about Tarkir's deal either. What's with the dragon storms for starters?
Thanks for linking to that site by the way. It's full of good stuff.
#ImTHeOne GuyWithoutAProblemWithTarkir
#ExceptTheQuoteEldersThing #ReallyWOTC?

WotC_Ethan wrote:
You're too kind!

You heard the man Tevish! Start throwing around some invectives!

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 pm 

Okay... Ahem.

"Bile Urchin."

In fact, I wonder if it would be possible to have a site profanity filter replace profanity with an autocard to Bile Urchin rather than with ****.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 pm 

Identity: Male
THat sounds hilarious. It might make swearing too tempting however.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 pm 

Speaking personally, I never want to read, hear, or play a single other thing ever involving Tarkir. Seriously, nothing MTG has EVER done has cost more good will with me personally than that block and its "story." I would take Nissa as our primary protagonist for the next three years more than I would ever support Tarkir.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:27 am 

WotC_Ethan wrote:
Not those Elder Dragons!
Okay, thanks for the clarification. That's a bit weird, given all real Elder Dragons except for Bolas were already dead by the time Fate Reforged takes place and people like Yasova are around, but I guess there could be flashbacks to earlier events.

Dragging the real Elder Dragons into this whole mess is potentially even worse than featuring the fake ones, though. That's a corner of Magic's canon I really don't need to see vandalised. Granted, if Kelly was still involved with this, there might be a remote chance that it doesn't turn out completely awful, given that Kelly was the only person on the story team who had a clue. But the other story threads that are connected to Bolas and Ugin's feud have been handled exceptionally poorly (Tarkir's "time travel", everything that has been established about Azor and the Immortal Sun on Ixalan, the repeated inaccurate portrayal of pre-Mending Bolas and his absolutely world-shattering power...), so I don't think anything good will come fom this.

AzureShade wrote:
I do look forward to finding out Ugin's Elder Dragon status, if nothing else.
For what it's worth, Bolas' planeswalker bio on the website technically confirms that Ugin isn't an Elder Dragon, and neither was Piru: "Witness to countless wars, cataclysms, and rivalries, Bolas is one of only five elder dragons to survive the Dragon War", emphasis mine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Ugin is Bolas's Raven Man

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:45 am 

One thing I never really liked about the story is how little consequences there are for the actual planeswalkers. Bolas died and came back, Ugin died and came back, Tezzeret died and Bolas revived him, Karn got his spark back. The "destruction" of the gatewatch consisted of Bolas slapping them around a little bit but not too much. Sorin is basically just impaled, Garruk is basically just M.I.A. I think only Venser is the only dead planeswalker but I am sure he will eventually be revived too. lol Xenagos is sort of on the fence but probably dead (I highly doubt it though). Is Urza even dead? I find it hard to care when nothing of actual consequence ever really happens or is eventually undone. Bolas, Phyrexians or Eldrazi are not real threats unless you are a civilian of a plane. heck they were even too scared to kill off the Eldrazi completely. :/ I am sure the story in Ravnica will end with Bolas saying “you foiled my plans yet again you meddling kids!” while he shakes his fist before planeswalking away. Lol

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:26 pm 

For what it's worth, Bolas' planeswalker bio on the website technically confirms that Ugin isn't an Elder Dragon, and neither was Piru: "Witness to countless wars, cataclysms, and rivalries, Bolas is one of only five elder dragons to survive the Dragon War", emphasis mine.

Maybe, and to be clear this is full-blown tin-foil hat talk, Ugin didn't survive the Dragon War in a traditional sense. He is a Spirit Dragon after all who also happens to be a planeswalker.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:15 pm 

Also, Dominaria confirmed that line as false by acknowledging Piru as an elder for the history of the Blackblade -- so at the very least, six survived.

Like this post