It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm 

The time has come to tell the dark secret around the origin of "Tales of the Dominia Cabal: Lucien." Prepare yourselves, for this will be a disturbing look into my twisted writer's psyche.

So, as many of you know, I occasionally write stories or create characters based on songs, or puns, or strange references. What can I say? I'm not a well man. Jade was created because of a typo Keeper made. The entire Thorneau Revolution storyline came around because I wrote "Unmasking at Midnight" as a reference to the song "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet. Antine was created in "Showdown" as a reference to the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon."

This story, believe it or not, was also based on a Beatles song. For those of you who are knowledgeable about the Beatles, I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler block, so that you can puzzle out which song it is before reading the rest. :D

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 pm 

Hello, everyone, and Happy New Year! Another Sunday has come, and tomorrow, another year. It's time, therefore, for another Highlighted M:EMory.

New Years is a time for resolutions, the little promises we make to ourselves that we rarely keep. This is appropriate because this week, we will be looking at "The Lies We Tell," by OrcishLibrarian.

"The Lies We Tell" was originally posted on July 7th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on August 25th, 2014. This story features two conversations had by Beryl the Heart-Scarred, one with her sister Astria, and the second with a mysterious man who appears in her shop. This story serves as something of a turning point in Beryl's story, where the truth of what is going on with Aliavelli begins to reveal itself, and Beryl's world opens up. "The Lies We Tell" is the sixth story in Beryl's arc, following after "Small Magic," "A Bet on Kindness," "To Walk Across Fire," "Reclamation," and "Friends and Killers," and is followed by "Complications," "Between Two Worlds," "A Name in a Book," "The Fire," "Climb Every Mountain," and "Paid in Full."

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:11 pm 

The time has come to tell the dark secret around the origin of "Tales of the Dominia Cabal: Lucien." Prepare yourselves, for this will be a disturbing look into my twisted writer's psyche.

So, as many of you know, I occasionally write stories or create characters based on songs, or puns, or strange references. What can I say? I'm not a well man. Jade was created because of a typo Keeper made. The entire Thorneau Revolution storyline came around because I wrote "Unmasking at Midnight" as a reference to the song "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet. Antine was created in "Showdown" as a reference to the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon."

This story, believe it or not, was also based on a Beatles song. For those of you who are knowledgeable about the Beatles, I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler block, so that you can puzzle out which song it is before reading the rest. :D

Spoiler

*head e'splode*

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:49 pm 

*head e'splode*

:D

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 pm 

*head e'splode*

:D

Spoiler

DED.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:20 am 

Hello, all! A new year is upon us, and I think it's time to celebrate with a little dance.

And so, this week, we will highlight "Dance," by Barinellos.

"Dance" is a microfiction that features The Shifter, an ever-scheming, ever-changing source of chaos for the Multiverse. This story was originally posted on August 22nd, 2014, ironically on the same day as both "Reflection," and "Check and Checkmate," two stories that feature The Shifter's eternal nemesis, The Duchess. "Dance" was voted into the Archive on January 10th, 2015. This short piece demonstrates how The Shifter relaxes and relieves a little stress.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 pm 

Let's start this week off swinging, shall we?

This week, we will be reM:EMbering the dossier of Pendulum, by RuwinReborn.

Pendulum was first introduced with the short story "Pulse of the Pendulum," and both the story and the dossier were first posted on August 18th, 2014, and voted into the Archive on September 4th, 2014. Pendulum is an utterly unique being in the Multiverse, and his alterable form and nature leaves him as a being that almost defies description. Pendulum has been featured in "Monster," part of RuwinReborn's microfic collection "You Are Not Alone," and the character is also notably the winner of the non-canon VITAL tournament.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:42 pm 

Another week has come, and now it is time for us to look back on one of the classics in the M:EM.

This week, we'll be taking a look at: "Planetaria," by chinkeeyong.

"Planetaria" was originally posted on October 1st, 2015 and was voted into the Archive on October 12th, 2015. It is an excerpt from what is considered one of the greatest operatic works of the plane of Solphos. The work tells the tale of when calamity came to Solphos, and the world and its magics rise to its defense. Lyrical and metaphorical, this opera hints at a dark history of the alchemical plane, and a connection to one of the great forces of nature to ever wander the multiverse.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm 

Greetings, everyone! Another week has come, and another M:EMory demands to be Highlighted!

This week, we will reM:EMber "Scale," by Tevish Szat.

"Scale" was originally posted on June 5th, 2015, and voted into the Archive on June 21st, 2015. It is the first story to feature Ygraine of Segovia, and serves as both her introduction and her ascension story. Throughout Ygraine's life, she has always been a giant among the smaller people, trusting on her size, strength, and skill to keep her alive. But when the bounds of her (very) small world are broken and she is thrust into the great, wide multiverse, even a giant can learn how small they truly are.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm 

Another week, another M:EMory, and we once more return to the realm of poetry!

The time, we take another look at "Belfry Spirit," by RavenoftheBlack.

"Belfry Spirit" was originally posted on the old boards on July 22nd, 2013, and voted into the Archive June 28th, 2015. The poem takes its name from and is an exploration of the card Belfry Spirit. It describes the spirit in question and the lonely, disconnected world in which it lives.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:56 pm 

So, I think we should have a conversation. Basically, I'm considering retiring this thread.

We're on a five M:EMory streak with no comments, which is leading me to believe that this thread has perhaps outlived its usefulness. The purpose of this thread was to have a way to bring up older works for new discussion, because we understandably tend to mostly talk about the new stuff that comes out. And there has been some great conversation about these older stories. We've covered, by my count, 137 different works in the over two and a half years we've been doing this, and I think it's been a nice celebration of what we've produced as a group.

If people want to see this thread continue, I have no problem with that, but after going so long, and with things quieting down so much, I think we should ask ourselves whether or not it's worth it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pm 

I like "Belfry Spirit." I first posted it back in the old Poetry Plane thread, where my usual modus operandi was to go to Gatherer and hit the "Random Card" button until I found something that sparked some inspiration. I've always thought that there was a certain solemnity to most non- spirits, and Belfry spirit fits that description for me. The Haunt mechanic is an interesting one flavorfully, because they specifically haunt other creatures, not locations. So here you have a sort of paradoxical situation where the spirit haunts the belfry (as the name suggests) but is, essentially, looking to haunt a person.

So, for my poetic rendition of the card, I wanted to give the spirit a sense of loneliness, of longing to rejoin a world from which he has been cut off. I spend the first four stanzas trying to set the tone, and I'm really happy with that way it turned out. I'm particularly fond of the line "Within those cold and rust-encrusted tones," which I think both sounds really cool, and paints an interesting picture of the bell tower. In the last three stanzas, I try to paint a picture of this spirit as a lonely one, just hoping to interact with the living again. But of course, the only living things he can be near now are the bats, which is one interpretation of the last two lines: that the only ones who ever climb up to the top are the bats themselves.

One last note. When I originally posted this poem, it had some additional spaces in front of many of the lines. These were not essential to the poem, but I always liked the effect, and I felt it sort of added to that sense of distance I was attempting to convey in the poem. At the time I posted it on NGA, I didn't really know about EM spaces or EN spaces or anything, and NGA automatically deletes extra normal spaces, so I basically just went with it. Here is how the poem originally looked, and the way I personally prefer it. Enjoy!

Belfry Spirit

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
So, I think we should have a conversation. Basically, I'm considering retiring this thread.

We're on a five M:EMory streak with no comments, which is leading me to believe that this thread has perhaps outlived its usefulness. The purpose of this thread was to have a way to bring up older works for new discussion, because we understandably tend to mostly talk about the new stuff that comes out. And there has been some great conversation about these older stories. We've covered, by my count, 137 different works in the over two and a half years we've been doing this, and I think it's been a nice celebration of what we've produced as a group.

If people want to see this thread continue, I have no problem with that, but after going so long, and with things quieting down so much, I think we should ask ourselves whether or not it's worth it.

I'm in an all-time low as far as my life goes, so in this period I make little to no use of this thread, but even in my active periods, I think I only comment about 20% of the highlights; I even missed the occasion to comment on my own work because I wanted to do a good job and eventually procrastinated too much.

That, coupled with the low creative activity of the forum in this period, makes me amenable to the idea to suspend this thread, but it may be a thought spawned by my current bleak mental state so take this for what's worth :V

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 am 

I know there have been some weeks when, much like Huey, I put off commenting to order my thoughts correctly and consequently missed my chance. But beyond that, I think we've, as a group of individuals, been in a bit of the rough lately. There's certainly merit in discussing if this endeavor should be put on hiatus, but much of the contribution to its lack of activity probably falls upon the issues regarding the time of year and stress our respective members have been under lately.

I think it's still in our best interest to keep the thread, but until each of us get a bit more of our **** sorted, it might be wise to table things for now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 pm 

I'm in the same boat of "Oh, that! I'd love to talk about it just let me get my thoughts straight" and then the next sunday rolls around...

Maybe, rather than abandoning it, we change the schedule? Instead of doing it every sunday, we could pull up a new M:EMory on the 1st and 15th of each month

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Maybe, rather than abandoning it, we change the schedule? Instead of doing it every sunday, we could pull up a new M:EMory on the 1st and 15th of each month

What about grouping them together, like 2/3 highlights in a single monthly post? It would align this task with the Voting reminders.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:31 pm 

Hello, everyone! It's Sunday, so I thinks it's time for another Highlighted M:EMory!

Why does I think that? Because this week, we will be looking back at "I," by Barinellos.

"I" was originally posted on August 27th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on September 14th, 2014. The story is a first person account, and introduction to, a character known simply as "I" (or occasionally various homonyms thereof, such as Ei, Ai, Aye, or Eye). "I" was created as a thought experiment regarding what kind of existence an ooze planeswalker might have. This story features I's experience from the day I first ascended to planeswalkerdom, and through the first few months as I struggled to learn of I's new reality. This eponymously titled story is thus far I's only tale in the Archive.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 pm 

I have really enjoyed this thread, even when I don't manage to catch up with the story of the week, and so I want to thank you for all the time and effort which has gone into selecting and sharing the M:EMories!

I kind of like Tev's suggestion that maybe we do one M:EMory a month, instead of one per week. Hopefully that'd slash the effort required to keep it all running, and might give people more time to read each piece, too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 am 

Agh! It's Thursday and I've spaced on commenting again!
Uhhhh... After work tonight. Believe me, I've got stuff to say about this one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 am 

Okay, so a day late but...
This piece is probably one that I like least. Because I had to write the bloody thing and it's a headache.
I don't regret anything about this undertaking, but if ANYONE ever asks you if xenofiction is easy, do awful things to them.

In an earlier project, I'd started construction of a mermaid (who happened to be gay... odd that lgbt overlap) and it quickly became obvious that certain aspects of life would be impossible to translate. Indeed, there were totally new considerations to take as granted. I'm sure Raven can attest to that.

Now having imagined that, remove all familiar biology, culture, and psychology.

THAT'S what I ended up signing myself up for. "I" as a thought experiment is fascinating, if for nothing else that it divorces our sense of empathy from the actual humanity of the emotion. "I" is from a hive minded species that share an immense gelatinous body while existing with an autonomy of self only in how it relates to the group. "I" is a single celled organism that forms a tissue of being.

Or at least it's what it thought. The actual self of the creature is the nucleus core rather than the body and the story begins in a very human place despite how inhuman the creature is. We all know how terrible it feels to be lost and alone.

In that regard, I think the most interesting possibility "I" gives us is the chance to see a creature discover humanity in itself from absolutely nothing, no preconceptions, not even a concept of shared context. That's why "I" was such a mentally exhausting thing to write. There are no shortcuts. You can't take anything for granted. What you and your audience know, or assume, all that goes out the window.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next