It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M:EM Exquisite Corpse
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm 

Shall we play a game?

I would like, if anybody is interested in playing, to play a version of Exquisite Corpse, themed to the M:EM.

My proposal is simple. Each contributor will post three words of a sentence, but they will do so by using the hide feature to cover them up, like this: [ hide]In the[ /hide] [ hide]beginning[ /hide]. This way, the first two words will be in one hide block, and the third word will be in another one. The next poster then ONLY looks at the last word, and writes three more words based on that, hiding them the same way. The next poster looks at ONLY the second poster's last word, and then writes three more. We go until everyone has had a round (or a predetermined number of rounds) and we see what fevered dream-inspired M:EM madness we create! (At which point, I can post the entire thing without hiding it, so it's there for all of us.)

Anybody interested?

[EDIT] - Updated Rules:
1. Each poster will write three sentences.
2. They will hide the first two sentences in one "hide block," and the final sentence in a second "hide block."
3. The next poster reads only the final sentence of the previous post, and bases their sentences in some way around it.
4. Each poster need only post their own sentences. There is no need to repost anything anyone else has posted.
5. There is no turn order, so jump in when you want! We will trust one another to no dominate the story.

Last edited by RavenoftheBlack on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:13 am 

I'm intrigued.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Never did anything similar, I'm curious.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 pm 

Identity: Human
While I'm interested, I don't know if I could keep myself from peeking.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I'm intrigued.

:woot:

Never did anything similar, I'm curious.

:dance:

Yeah, I can see where it would be a temptation. Obviously, we would need to run this on the honor system.

Conversely, I could organize the thing and not participate. We could do it over PM, and I could send each contributor the previous last word only. That way, there were be no way to peek.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him

Yeah, I can see where it would be a temptation. Obviously, we would need to run this on the honor system.

Conversely, I could organize the thing and not participate. We could do it over PM, and I could send each contributor the previous last word only. That way, there were be no way to peek.

I'm ok with whatever, public would give a chance for everyone to see the weirdness unravel, but PMs would save us from temptation, so to speak.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 pm 

I'm down to clown! And I can rely on my iron self-control to avoid peekage! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 pm 

Okay, well, we've got four or five interested parties, and it seems public is the preference, so I say let's do this! Should we make some kind of turn order, or just say whoever wants to go can go?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 am 

Identity: Human
Personally, I think we should let it flow freeform and rely on the honor system to not have one or two people dominate the thread. Some people may want to occasionally join in but may not be able to make a commitment for a turn-based game, and I wouldn't want the whole thing to ground to a halt because something big came up and one person disappears for a week or something of that nature.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:28 am 

Personally, I think we should let it flow freeform and rely on the honor system to not have one or two people dominate the thread. Some people may want to occasionally join in but may not be able to make a commitment for a turn-based game, and I wouldn't want the whole thing to ground to a halt because something big came up and one person disappears for a week or something of that nature.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:06 pm 

I feel like the 2/1 word division will cause endless non sequiturs. Could we make it so we at least have a shot at writing something that makes sense?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:03 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I feel like the 2/1 word division will cause endless non sequiturs. Could we make it so we at least have a shot at writing something that makes sense?

Yeah, this was created by surrealists, so making sense wasn't high on their list. However, not being much of a surrealist myself, I have no problem giving us more of a chance. How would you like to see it work?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:52 pm 

We could keep the 2/1, but with sentences instead of words?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
We could keep the 2/1, but with sentences instead of words?

I'd be fine with that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:23 pm 

I am arbitrarily kicking things off. WILD CARD! WOOOOOOO!

:D

My exciting story begins with me getting punched in the face. The minotaur laid me out cold before I even had a chance to apologize. I honestly had no idea that gesture was considered offensive out in the Waste.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:18 pm 

I thought about apologizing...briefly. Then I doubled down and repeated the gesture with considerably more emphasis. "You should be more polite, little lady," the bandit leader told me as she lifted her gun.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 am 

Identity: Male
The OP should be updated to reflect the change to sentences. And to make clear that we aren't reposting the whole text each post.
I can read the last sentence of the previous post, but can I read posts from before that? Or can I read the last word of the last post exclusively?

I knew what came next was going to hurt like the dickens. I was right. The 'lil lady sprang forward and clubbed me between the eyes with the butt of her pistol.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:03 am 

I merely laughed. "Did you think I was that fragile?" She looked at me with equal parts confusion and apprehension.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 am 

TPmanW wrote:
The OP should be updated to reflect the change to sentences. And to make clear that we aren't reposting the whole text each post.

Done.

TPmanW wrote:
I can read the last sentence of the previous post, but can I read posts from before that? Or can I read the last word of the last post exclusively?

Good question! We should decide this. I'm inclined to say only the last sentence of the previous post, but that begs the question of "How do we know when we're done?" What do other people think?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 pm 

Well, if someone feels like they have been set up for an ending they could request to make their post the last. Or someone could volunteer to read everything and let us know how we are doing.

Also, I don't want to know what other people are writing. I have already formed a picture of our protagonist which I probably incompatible with everyone else's idea, and I want to hold on to my image for as long as possible.

my ego sig

Like this post