It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 am 

Identity: Human
Some few of you may remember, many years ago now, a short time when a forum-goer of the old mothership who went by emrakulpunk and later by diamora, who was very keen on this whole M:EM thing. After the fact, we learned from a friend that he had taken his own life. At least one other project of his, Trypticha, I have taken up myself and chipped away at from time to time as a dedication project.

Well, for years now I've had this sitting in my files: a short world dossier, which I had found in his profile page, up for "adoption" as it were to anyone who had bothered looking at it. I recently read through it and... well, I was saddened. I think I can almost see his frustrations with his life expressed here, and it frustrates me that I didn't see it. I don't know that I could take this up as another dedication project, because it is just too deeply associated with that sad event, so I leave this here for others to consider. Perhaps it will make a cameo appearance in someone's story, somewhere.

What follows is the original, unaltered entry by emrakulpunk/diamora:

Salva Materum.

A world of sad skies and dark hearts. The Mountains are lain low, so as to seem like small hills. The oceans are stagnant and shallow, with islands that have no real life. The forests are few and far between, with little to nothing much bigger than a fox. There are no places of rot, nor are there caves. None on this sad, desolate world can remember if there were happier days, nor will they ever see better days. This world is crushed beneath the power and tyranny of the Church.

The Church.

The Church is a religion which dominates the world of Salva Materum. Its main worship is in the city what was known in older days as the city-state of Coreon, with wide, sprawling cityscape consuming hundreds of miles. Not even this massive city can contain the ever growing populace, which is why they are always expanding the city. Pilgrims from all across the world travel here to behold the great Triconicos, ziggurat of the Apostalites.

The Apostalites.

They are the highest branch of the Church, consisting of the 20 High acolytes, the 10 Grand Prelacies, and the 3 Holies. These leaders are themselves lead by the Apostle, the greatest of all powers on Salva Materum.

The Apostle.

All information about the Apostle is merely rumor, but it is as close as any mortal can get to knowing what secrets are contained in that great leader, and his/her position. The Apostle is one chosen by the previous Apostle to lead the Church ever onward. It is rumored that the Apostle has power to call upon the powers of light to purify those that are deemed unworthy. It is also rumored that the Apostles have a great tome which contains all of the collective knowledge of each predecessor in the Church. There is still so much that is not known about the Apostle, or even powers inherent in the position.

Secrets.

There are a few places which the Church has no hand or idea. The first being above the eternal cloud covering. A city which soars above the clouds, filled with such wonders as never beheld by man, woman, or child. This city was inhabited by strange and mysterious beings which created many mechanical wonders. No name is given them, or even recorded anywhere within the city, but a description of the people is there in some anatomical sketches. They were tall and forbidding in stature, and possessed of an extra set of arms, with hands that were extremely deft. Their faces were impassive, stony even, but intelligent. Their skin was of an odd color. A blue which was very intense. What little is known about them is inconclusive at best. The second place being beneath the earth, a cavern system that was sealed up many millennia ago. It contains a wide variety of runes and paintings on the wall of a vivid and intense coloring, which says a lot about the inhabitants that once lived there. The inhabitants were of a race known as Dracaena, a lizard-like species with fiery tempers, great appetites, and intense emotionality. They were ruled by a great Chieftain, who fought for the right to be leader. They always competed in bloody sports and contests, but were united as a people by one belief: that they made their own paths, and should always love those traveling with them. They met a tragic end, of which little is known. The third place is through a simple ancient stone archway. A mighty forest, at the center of which lies an enormous tree city. The inhabitants are still there, but they are naught other than bones. They are known as Elves, according to the writings found on ancient scrolls. But all else that is known about them is the fact that they appreciated and protected life wherever it was. Sad that they could not protect themselves. The fourth place is just barely noticeable, but it is there. It is a side pocket of reality, with only one way to gain entrance: through a bloody sacrifice. This side pocket is a wasteland of death and great stone fortresses. There are only horrendeous monstrosities and madmen here. What little was gleaned from the madmen is truly tragic. The original inhabitants had originally made this place as a paradise, where they could remain in peace, undisturbed by the ravings of the rest of the world. But unwittingly, they carried a disease with them. The disease was slow, but deadly. It caused complete heart failure in 80% of those living there, madness in 10% of them, and complete mutations for 9%. The final percent emerged with great power, and a single great appetite. Flesh. This 1% was not numerous, but they held immense power in their grasp. They could bring back the dead, but only physically. They could manipulate the bodies, or whatever was left in most cases. They had massive armies which could do their bidding, and would not question their authority. They warred constantly for dominance over the whole pocket. They eventually killed each other off. The last place is beneath the soles of the Apostle. Beneath the vaults of the Triconicos, a doorway lies. No soul has ever entered this doorway and returned. The doorway leads to a vast subterranean chamber, filled with life, death, and everything in-between. There is, at the heart of this place, a simple altar. The altar holds a massive tome of all that was, is, and will be.

The Tome of All.

The Tome is a great Grimoire of all secrets in this world. Everything from the City in the skies, to the Pocket world is included in this great record. It also includes the future within its pages.

The Future.

Within the Tome is a single passage “Seasons come, and Seasons go. Wheels turn, and Wheels stop. So shall the World meet its end. Those from ages past shall meet their makers, and all from ages to come will be ordained. None shall stop this great time, nor will any stop this world’s end.” This world is doomed.

If any want this sad world, then please take it. It is freely given, without any obligation.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:58 am 

Having joined the M:EM after the tragedy, and having no personal connection to it, I would consider using this at some point.
it certainly seems like a place Tey'von would be interested in. And I am intrigued by the idea that the Apostle, and no one else, would recognize him as a vedalken. That would certainly create a good starting point (although somewhat similar to the device I used in Pilgrim and the Pharaoh, but oh well). I would have to put it earlier in his timeline though, because It wouldn't go along with where he is headed with the Wanderer. But I will definitely keep this in mind.

Thank you for sharing, Luna! The dossier (and the story behind it) has this melancholy beauty to it which really speaks to me. I wish I could have been around while Diamora was.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:35 pm 

Identity: Human
I probably should have commented before, but I'm glad you've taken an interest. I've taken a few of Diamora's projects on myself as kind of memorial projects to him, but this one is too heavy for me. I'm glad to see his legacy, whatever little it may be, lives on around here. Thanks, Aaarrrgh.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:03 pm 

Identity: Male
You should put in line breaks between the descriptions of each place.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post