It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Quote:
“Don’t worry,” I said. “My morals have improved since then. On the margins, at least.”

Ha! That and the "I'd just pull left" are my favorite lines :D Neat little piece, I like it!

@Raven: aw, it's nice to see Donagut have a whiff of luck sometimes! Interesting way to combine all cards again, I'm impressed.

@Brentain: nice, more from Lawrence! There's hope for him yet *crosses fingers* I just have a small question:
Quote:
“Not a clue.”

So what prompt have you used, exactly? :D

Thank you all for sharing!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

@Raven: aw, it's nice to see Donagut have a whiff of luck sometimes! Interesting way to combine all cards again, I'm impressed.

Thanks for reading! I was really happy with how it came together. And as for Donagut's luck, well, every dog has his day!

@Brentain: Has Blink finally bitten off more than she can chew? Is Lawrence the man to stop her murderous rampage? Is Oswyn going to find a way to get them all killed? Find out next time, same Blink time, same Blink channel! :D

I'm really liking how this story is developing, and it will be interesting to see what Lawrence and Koltar put together for her. It's interesting knowing what we know (or what we think we know, at least) because the logical assumption for the bodyguards are that their charge is her target, but our suspicions suggest otherwise.

Thanks for posting!

@Orcish: I like this piece a lot. I think my favorite part was trading the horse for the blade. That made me smile. I thought for a while that this might have been set on Thorneau, but "Drakeston" sounded more like Fiora than Thorneau. The captain's mental notes to chastise Kett reminded me a lot of Jackie, specifically in "Mistakes of the Past" when she makes a mental note to speak to Saris and Noraa about reloading simultaneously. I like it!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm 

More cool stories this week! I'm really enjoying what everyone has been sharing!

@ Raven -- I love this quasi-origin-story for our dogged detector, and his gruff-yet-lovable captain! :D There are a ton of great moments, but I especially love Donagut's line about the difference between show magic and real magic -- my mind immediately flashed to Nasperge, trying to imagine his reaction. And the whole story put me in mind of one of my favorite episodes of Columbo -- the one where Johnny Cash guest-starred as the killer. It ends with Columbo confronting Cash alone in the forest, at night, and, after he confesses, and Columbo is about to take him back to the station, Cash kind of looms over him, and says something to the effect of, "aren't you at all scared, being alone out here with a killer?" Something about Nallry's performance put me in mind of that, for some reason. Anyway, I always love watching those two play off of each other -- thanks so much for sharing!

@ Brentain -- I love how this story is progressing, too! This scene puts me in mind of a different moment, which I also love -- in this case, the one at the beginning of "From Russia, With Love," when SPECTRE Number 5 is explaining the plan to use James Bond to steal the cipher machine to Blofeld. Blofeld says, "What makes you think that the British Secret Service will go along with a plan that is so obviously a trap?" And Number 5 says, "Precisely because it is so obviously a trap. My reading of the British mentality is that they always regard a trap as a challenge." And that was the line that I heard in my head as soon as our bodyguards -- veteran or otherwise -- started discussing the notion of accepting Blink's invitation. DON'T GO, FELLAS! DON'T GO! :)

(Apologies to you both for my weird, associational brain. These tangents are just how my mind works, I swear! :face:)

Anyway, again, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Brentain wrote:
@Orcish: That's a beautiful moment, and ties in fabulously with the flavor text.

Thanks for reading, and for the kind words! I definitely did try to use the flavor text as a bit of a jumping-off point.

Quote:
“Don’t worry,” I said. “My morals have improved since then. On the margins, at least.”

Ha! That and the "I'd just pull left" are my favorite lines :D Neat little piece, I like it!

Thanks for reading, and for the kind words! I like those parts, too. I love the idea that the captain has become so habituated to the off-balance blade that she'd swing a balanced blade wrong after all these years. :)

@Orcish: I like this piece a lot. I think my favorite part was trading the horse for the blade. That made me smile. I thought for a while that this might have been set on Thorneau, but "Drakeston" sounded more like Fiora than Thorneau. The captain's mental notes to chastise Kett reminded me a lot of Jackie, specifically in "Mistakes of the Past" when she makes a mental note to speak to Saris and Noraa about reloading simultaneously. I like it!

Yeah, apparently Drakeston is on Fiora. Funnily enough, I just swiped the name off a card, since it seemed like the sort of run-down place where you might find a pawnbroker, and it turned out -- from consulting the wiki after the fact -- that the name is actually Drakeston, not "Drakestown," as it appears on the card, so I had to go back and fix that. Also, it turns out that, apparently, Drakeston was totally destroyed in some Dack Fayden comic, so maybe it wasn't such a good choice, after all. If I had the story to do over, I'd change the location reference. I agree that Thorneau would be a good fit! Or Dammerdall, maybe.

And, yeah, I like the part about the horse, too. :)

Somehow, I suspect that the unnamed captain is more bark than bite when it comes to enforcing proper protocol for the squires. So I kind of doubt that whatever she eventually does about those "note for later" sort of things will be too harsh.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading, and for the kind words!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm 

@Brentain: nice, more from Lawrence! There's hope for him yet *crosses fingers* I just have a small question:
Quote:
“Not a clue.”

So what prompt have you used, exactly? :D

Why, Koltar's blade, of course! (Okay, so it too barely shows up...)

@Brentain: Has Blink finally bitten off more than she can chew? Is Lawrence the man to stop her murderous rampage? Is Oswyn going to find a way to get them all killed? Find out next time, same Blink time, same Blink channel! :D

:) I wish I knew, too. Let's see what the cards have to say about it...

@ Brentain -- I love how this story is progressing, too! This scene puts me in mind of a different moment, which I also love -- in this case, the one at the beginning of "From Russia, With Love," when SPECTRE Number 5 is explaining the plan to use James Bond to steal the cipher machine to Blofeld. Blofeld says, "What makes you think that the British Secret Service will go along with a plan that is so obviously a trap?" And Number 5 says, "Precisely because it is so obviously a trap. My reading of the British mentality is that they always regard a trap as a challenge." And that was the line that I heard in my head as soon as our bodyguards -- veteran or otherwise -- started discussing the notion of accepting Blink's invitation. DON'T GO, FELLAS! DON'T GO! :)

:cool:

That's not entirely off the table, of course. But will curiosity get the better of them? Are they overestimating their own chances? Would Blink even let them go that easily?

Anyway, again, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to see what comes up next!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:55 am 

WHY DO I FORGET THE PROMPTS ON FRIDAY? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?

Anyway, here are this week's prompts. Just not very... you know... promptly. *sighs*

Glimmerpost
Canal Courier
Sixth Sense
Soldier of Fortune

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sat May 19, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
*Glimmerpost, I think

Looking forward to read what you'll come up with this time! :D

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:22 pm 

The Road to Gilmmerpost

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:23 pm 

*Glimmerpost, I think

D'oh!

Looking forward to read what you'll come up with this time! :D

Hrmm... probably something like this:

Soldier of Fortune

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm 

@Soldier of Fortune: See, if those prospectors had grown up on Oregon Trail like I (and I presume you, Orcish) did, they would have known to bring everything they could possibly need with them ahead of time. You just cannot trust to find what you need once you get there.

I like the simmering mob mentality working the crowd up to what is approaching a frenzy, before our concerned citizen Hiss decides, for the good of everyone, I'm sure, to step (slither?) in and calm everyone down. You gotta love what passes for law in Jakkard. Granted, the Bowlertons aren't really the law, but from the apparent ineptitude of the deputy, Hiss seems to be about the closest thing to it. Of course, not enough lawmen in a mana-rush town? That's a mistake. Sort of Fortune's Folly, if you will...

:D

Thanks for the story, Orcish!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 pm 

The Road to Gilmmerpost

I love that you took my stupid typo and ran with it. You're a prince among men, Raven. :D

I love the callback to the flavor text on Soldier of Fortune, here. And I confess to being totally deked-out on which direction the story was going. Once you mentioned that there were five princes, I kept trying to figure out how a sixth one would arrive on the scene -- probably named something that sounds an awful lot like "sense." YOU'VE MADE ME PARANOID FOR PUNS, RAVEN. I SEE THEM AROUND EVERY CORNER! :)

(Also, I confess that I shiver a little each time Valk takes a drink from the canal. I've seen too many pictures of Venice. :gross:)

Anyway, I feel like the lesson -- as Jackie would put it -- is don't get greedy. When you've got a nice little scheme going, just keep it going! It's when you try to grab that little bit extra that things always start to go wrong. Feels like Landa could have used that advice.

Thanks so much for sharing, Raven! I continue to marvel at your ability to use all the cards. :D

(Semi-related tangent time: Something about the image of the courier passing Valk on the way back from the council reminds me of the story about Dionysius the Elder, Tyrant of Syracuse, and his death. When he wasn't busy being the tyrannical ruler of a city-state, Dionysius fancied himself something of a playwright, and apparently wasn't half bad. According to legend, Dionysius's death was precipitated by the fact that a play he'd written -- "The Ransom of Hector" -- won the top prize at the Lenaia festival at Athens. One of the extras in the play -- realizing that whoever was the first person to bring Dionysius the news of his victory would likely receive a considerable reward -- rushed from Athens to Syracuse as quickly as possible, getting ahead of the official news. When Dionysius learned about his victory, he threw a celebratory party which lasted for multiple days, during which Dionysius -- flush with triumph -- quite literally drank himself to death. So, good news travels fast, but not always for the best.)

@Soldier of Fortune: See, if those prospectors had grown up on Oregon Trail like I (and I presume you, Orcish) did, they would have known to bring everything they could possibly need with them ahead of time. You just cannot trust to find what you need once you get there.

Confession time: I was *terrible* at Oregon Trail. My wagon train died every single time. We never made it!

I like the simmering mob mentality working the crowd up to what is approaching a frenzy, before our concerned citizen Hiss decides, for the good of everyone, I'm sure, to step (slither?) in and calm everyone down. You gotta love what passes for law in Jakkard. Granted, the Bowlertons aren't really the law, but from the apparent ineptitude of the deputy, Hiss seems to be about the closest thing to it. Of course, not enough lawmen in a mana-rush town? That's a mistake. Sort of Fortune's Folly, if you will...

:rimshot:

Thanks for the story, Orcish!

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Once it occurred to me that we already had a town named Fortune, I kind of ran with the idea from there, and, while I had maybe a larger story in mind at first, I sort of ran out of time and puff. But I at least like this as a sort of glimpse into Hiss's formative years -- it's not hard to trace the line from her here to the Bowlerton chief in Red Sky who casually suggests shooting all the homesteaders as a practical solution to the mayor's problems. (Which reminds me that I really do need to finish Red Sky one of these days...)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 pm 

I love that you took my stupid typo and ran with it. You're a prince among men, Raven. :D

Typos are like a muse to me. Here's some food for thought (which contains story spoilers for a few random stories, so I'll toss it in a spoiler block):

Spoiler

I love the callback to the flavor text on Soldier of Fortune, here. And I confess to being totally deked-out on which direction the story was going. Once you mentioned that there were five princes, I kept trying to figure out how a sixth one would arrive on the scene -- probably named something that sounds an awful lot like "sense."

Funnily, I had originally made Gilmmer the fifth out of six sons, but I didn't like the way "King's six sons" sounded, so I changed it to fourth of five. I actually hadn't thought of turning it all into a sixth sense pun. Of course, if I had, I'd have slipped it right in there, because that's golden, right there.

YOU'VE MADE ME PARANOID FOR PUNS, RAVEN. I SEE THEM AROUND EVERY CORNER! :)

Wanna know why the protagonist is called Valk? It's because the art on Soldier of Fortune reminded me of Madmartigan from Willow. Madmartigan, as we all know, was played by Val Kilmer. Val K. Valk.

I should also point out that, while not a pun, the name of the capital city, Kraakas, is a play on the Magic land Karakas, with two letters transposed, like Gilmmerpost-Glimmerpost.

:)

(Also, I confess that I shiver a little each time Valk takes a drink from the canal. I've seen too many pictures of Venice. :gross:)

I had debated lampshading this after Valk dumps Landa's body in the canal, but opted not to. I suspect that this canal is a bit cleaner than those in Venice, but not necessarily. Either way, it's probably not the best option available to our hero.

Anyway, I feel like the lesson -- as Jackie would put it -- is don't get greedy. When you've got a nice little scheme going, just keep it going! It's when you try to grab that little bit extra that things always start to go wrong. Feels like Landa could have used that advice.

Funny how many of the bad guys fall prey to this. It's almost like they haven't read the other stories or something!

Thanks so much for sharing, Raven! I continue to marvel at your ability to use all the cards. :D

Thanks! Lucky draws, so far. It was only the typo that let me fit this one in, though. I have no idea what I would have done with Glimmerpost!

(Semi-related tangent time: Something about the image of the courier passing Valk on the way back from the council reminds me of the story about Dionysius the Elder, Tyrant of Syracuse, and his death. When he wasn't busy being the tyrannical ruler of a city-state, Dionysius fancied himself something of a playwright, and apparently wasn't half bad. According to legend, Dionysius's death was precipitated by the fact that a play he'd written -- "The Ransom of Hector" -- won the top prize at the Lenaia festival at Athens. One of the extras in the play -- realizing that whoever was the first person to bring Dionysius the news of his victory would likely receive a considerable reward -- rushed from Athens to Syracuse as quickly as possible, getting ahead of the official news. When Dionysius learned about his victory, he threw a celebratory party which lasted for multiple days, during which Dionysius -- flush with triumph -- quite literally drank himself to death. So, good news travels fast, but not always for the best.)

Interesting! I don't believe I have ever heard that story.

Confession time: I was *terrible* at Oregon Trail. My wagon train died every single time. We never made it!

Naw, Oregon Trail is easy! I beat it just now (well, just before I started typing this message - Thank you, Archive.org). I brought you and some other M:EMbers along. Brentain got three different broken arms, and you got Typhoid right near the end, but we all made it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 pm 

Interesting! I don't believe I have ever heard that story.

The details are open to debate, since first-hand accounts have mostly been lost to history. But the fact that he died after his play won is established, and I like to think that the story's true. :)

Probably moving further into the realm of myth, I love Mary Renault's account that Dionysius had been warned by an oracle that a great victory would precede his death, and that this was why he never attempted to totally conquer Carthage, fearing that this would be the foretold victory. But, in the same way that oracles often spoke in riddles, the "great victory" which eventually sealed his fate wasn't one won on the battlefield, but instead on the stage, when his tragic play took the prize in Athens.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 pm 

Technically, it's still Friday, so -- for once! -- I remembered to post the prompt on time!

Anyway, this week's prompt cards are:

Propaganda
Flickerform
Fortune Thief
Scalding Tarn

I, for one, have no idea what I'm going to do with these, but we'll see! :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 pm 

I didn't expect to write quite this much with this one (about 3200 words) but I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. I hope everyone enjoys!

To Prove Them Wrong

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am 

I, in contrast, am not known for anything long.

Spoiler

@To Prove Them Wrong: Lovely story. There's no way it'll go well for these two thieves, though. Propaganda like that tends to have some powerful figures behind it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm 

Well, at least Lawrence has a flicker of hope as he rolls toward his fate. I have an idea of where I might go with this story were I writing it, but I don't want to mention it on the off-chance it's where you're going to go. Suffice it to say, I'm looking forward to see what the future holds for these characters.

Brentain wrote:
@To Prove Them Wrong: Lovely story. There's no way it'll go well for these two thieves, though. Propaganda like that tends to have some powerful figures behind it.

Thanks! I think both Vhara and Tikori are fairly young, and neither one really has a great sense of what they're trying to tackle here. But they proved something, at least.

Thanks for reading.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:00 pm 

Well, at least Lawrence has a flicker of hope as he rolls toward his fate. I have an idea of where I might go with this story were I writing it, but I don't want to mention it on the off-chance it's where you're going to go. Suffice it to say, I'm looking forward to see what the future holds for these characters.

It's in an interesting space; so far, it benefits greatly from not being Blink's introduction story, but doesn't want to depend on prior knowledge, either. We've already seen her get interrupted thrice, once too late, so where could this story distinguish itself? I'm not set on his survival, but a satisfying death would be hard to pull off, and I strongly doubt Lawrence would let himself be tied up.

As far as future plans go, I have two short paragraphs that could be the beginning of the next scene. (Not dialogue this time, which is probably why I haven't gotten any further; I clearly need more practice in that area.) At one point I considered asking you what she would do with a resistant mark, but hadn't gotten to that point yet. So, would you prefer to wait for individual installments inspired by the random cards, or watch me fumble my way through your undoubtedly superior idea?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:17 pm 

Brentain wrote:
It's in an interesting space; so far, it benefits greatly from not being Blink's introduction story, but doesn't want to depend on prior knowledge, either. We've already seen her get interrupted thrice, once too late, so where could this story distinguish itself? I'm not set on his survival, but a satisfying death would be hard to pull off, and I strongly doubt Lawrence would let himself be tied up.

Yeah, Blink being interrupted did sort of become a running theme there, didn't it? Of course, what we haven't seen yet is her falling into some sort of a trap...

As for not letting himself get tied up, he probably wouldn't. Unless, of course, he knew he could get out of it...

:plot:

Brentain wrote:
As far as future plans go, I have two short paragraphs that could be the beginning of the next scene. (Not dialogue this time, which is probably why I haven't gotten any further; I clearly need more practice in that area.) At one point I considered asking you what she would do with a resistant mark, but hadn't gotten to that point yet.

I think your dialog is fine. I've been enjoying the back-and-forth between the bodyguards here.

As for what Blink would do with a target not falling for her wiles, I haven't thought a lot about it. I'm no expert on serial killers, but I know that they are excellent - amazing, even - manipulators, and that one way or another they get people to do what they want them to. Of course, there comes a time when that's not possible, like when they've been made as a threat, I would imagine. I suspect that she would keep her cool the first time or two that he refused her, would try to come at it from different angles, but ultimately, serial killers love control. When she realized that she was not in control the situation, she would likely do whatever she needed to do to gain "control," which would probably be dangerously violent.

On the other hand, though, we've seen Blink flee when cornered and confronted. She did make an attempt at stabbing Gale before she found out, fairly quickly, that she was overmatched. A pugilist, she is not, nor did she try to bring any magic to bare against Gale. So it is quite possible that Blink is not very dangerous when her victim knows she's coming, which makes this situation with Lawrence very interesting.

Brentain wrote:
So, would you prefer to wait for individual installments inspired by the random cards, or watch me fumble my way through your undoubtedly superior idea?

Hey, I said I had an idea. I never said I had a good idea. :D

Anyway, I'm enjoying seeing this develop as it goes. As always, if you ever wanted to do a story, either this one or another one, and want my feedback in one way or another, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:48 am 

I didn't quite manage to get my Saturday piece to the point where I was happy with it -- it's unfinished, and the second section is going to eventually need a rework. But I like the first part, and I'll try to finish/fix the rest.

Bad Beats

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:56 am 

I don't know why - some sixth sense, I suppose - but I don't imagine things will go well for our friendly neighborhood crook. Tale remains to be told, of course...

:D

Thanks for posting!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next