It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 pm 

Greetings, all! Below you will find three stories. It's "highly" unlikely that these stories are in any way connected to each other, or to anything else in canon. I, as you know, am not known to post random, one-off stories just to have them connect to some other storyline at some point in the future. That never happens. So clearly, these are just three stories, apropos of nothing, that we will "probably" never touch on again.

:shifty:

Anyway, feel free to read these stories in any order, as they are not presented in a specific one.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Strictly Forbidden

Promises of Power

A Cataclysm in Repose

Last edited by RavenoftheBlack on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:37 am 

The title alone makes me suspicious... :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 pm 

I can't imagine why...

:plot:

Huh. That was supposed to be a shrug. Not sure why my hands just kind of do that...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 pm 

I can't imagine why...

Huh. That was supposed to be a shrug. Not sure why my hands just kind of do that...

WELL NOW I'M EVEN MORE SUSPICIOUS!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 pm 

Update: I have read these three clearly unrelated stories, and now I don't know what to believe anymore!

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:10 am 

Update: I have read these three clearly unrelated stories, and now I don't know what to believe anymore!

Well, hopefully you enjoyed them! I certainly had fun working with these totally unconnected, not at all creepy stories.

I would be remiss if I didn't give a quick shout-out to famous writer Gabriel García Márquez. The title of the third of these three short pieces, "A Cataclysm in Repose," was lifted directly from a translation of his short story "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings," which I recommend to anybody interested in good (if strange) short fiction. The moment I read that line, I knew I wanted to write something based off of it.

I really like these little pieces, but I think the longest of them, "Strictly Forbidden," is probably my favorite. Hopefully it sparked people's interest, even if the end was a bit shocking.

:paranoid:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:53 pm 

Well, hopefully you enjoyed them! I certainly had fun working with these totally unconnected, not at all creepy stories.

I did! Very much! And it's an interesting thought experiment, wondering how much my reading experience was shaped by being consciously on the lookout for connections, versus what I might have noticed or not noticed if I'd gone into the stories without that extra piece of context.

I really like these little pieces, but I think the longest of them, "Strictly Forbidden," is probably my favorite. Hopefully it sparked people's interest, even if the end was a bit shocking.

:rimshot:

"Strictly Forbidden" was my favorite as well, I think, albeit by a slim margin. I love the recurring theme of the title throughout the piece, and Dugwald's interactions with the little girl are wonderfully creepy. I am also a big fan of "A Cataclysm In Repose" as well, and particularly the sort of sharp pivot it takes about halfway through, when The Tender ends up being rather different from what you're expecting. That's a very Raven touch, if I may say so. :) The line about the racks having room for more is particularly chilling.

Thank you -- as ever -- for sharing!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 pm 

I did! Very much! And it's an interesting thought experiment, wondering how much my reading experience was shaped by being consciously on the lookout for connections, versus what I might have noticed or not noticed if I'd gone into the stories without that extra piece of context.

I can't imagine why you might have been looking for connections. I mean, the title of the thread practically tells you that there is no connection, so...

"Strictly Forbidden" was my favorite as well, I think, albeit by a slim margin. I love the recurring theme of the title throughout the piece, and Dugwald's interactions with the little girl are wonderfully creepy.

Yeah, I was really happy with the way the Nameless Girl turned out. What little we know about her and the way she speaks with Dugwald are, certainly, all kinds of creepy. I think my favorite thing is when she says, "I never understood the habit of dividing up time into small increments, only to then count them up again.” I love that sentiment.

I am also a big fan of "A Cataclysm In Repose" as well, and particularly the sort of sharp pivot it takes about halfway through, when The Tender ends up being rather different from what you're expecting. That's a very Raven touch, if I may say so. :) The line about the racks having room for more is particularly chilling.

Thanks! Yes, I do love to play my little games of narrative hide-and-seek with my readers. Of course, because these stories are completely disconnected from one another and from everything I have ever done or ever will, we clearly won't be seeing the Tender or any more of its kind again (seriously, though, four knuckles on a finger? What IS that thing?!?).

:paranoid:

Thank you -- as ever -- for sharing!

And thank you for reading! I always appreciate it a great deal!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Unsuspicious as always, Raven :roll:

Unfortunately it's a time of low energy for me, and even reading feels heavy sometimes. That's to say, I didn't read your stories yet, but I plan to do it. Hopefully I'll come back to them before the inevitable sequels make short and grisly work of some innocent character :D

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 am 

Unsuspicious as always, Raven :roll:

Unfortunately it's a time of low energy for me, and even reading feels heavy sometimes. That's to say, I didn't read your stories yet, but I plan to do it. Hopefully I'll come back to them before the inevitable sequels make short and grisly work of some innocent character :D

Well, when you get to them, I hope you enjoy! And don't worry, I'm clearly not up to anything. Here, I'll show you my innocent face:

rats.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:41 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
1st story: I'm a bit of a contrarian myself, but that's extreme :D Liked the levity of the overall tone before the POV enters the cave, and for some reason I pictured the bindings keeping the "girl" there were physical (as physical as ideas can be in myths), and they decayed naturally leaving their "soul" behind to keep her there.

2nd story: I liked the second part more than the first one. While one can suppose the temple's pull was part of the POV's rush, there are so many questions left unanswered. The idea of impossibly half-understood words is quite interesting.

3rd story: I kept thinking about the Mender through the first sentences of the piece, and the juxtaposition was more than a little confusing. The atmosphere makes basically impossible to think "well, I'm sure this won't go in horrible places", but the trickling of increasingly disturbing hints is managed very well.
Quote:
(seriously, though, four knuckles on a finger? What IS that thing?!?)

This made me want to write Ungar summoning a couple of his friends... beyond that, I even missed the fourth knuckle thing, but the act of deliberately bending a knuckle after another really conveyed the weirdness of its movements. Together with a sentient being with the "it" pronoun, to be honest.

Is there a third counterpart to the Bloodbringer/Broodbringer couple? If there is, I must have missed it.

Thank you for sharing!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 pm 

1st story: I'm a bit of a contrarian myself, but that's extreme :D

Yeah, Dugwald has some issues. I mean, more so now, but still...

Liked the levity of the overall tone before the POV enters the cave, and for some reason I pictured the bindings keeping the "girl" there were physical (as physical as ideas can be in myths), and they decayed naturally leaving their "soul" behind to keep her there.

It's just a pity that, owing to the fact that these stories are completely disconnected from everything else, we will never learn what keeps Her locked up. Probably not ever...

2nd story: I liked the second part more than the first one. While one can suppose the temple's pull was part of the POV's rush, there are so many questions left unanswered. The idea of impossibly half-understood words is quite interesting.

Yeah, while I think the other two offer their share of unanswered questions, I think this one has even more. I mean, we don't even know the protagonist's name! And of course, never will. In all likelihood...

3rd story: I kept thinking about the Mender through the first sentences of the piece, and the juxtaposition was more than a little confusing. The atmosphere makes basically impossible to think "well, I'm sure this won't go in horrible places", but the trickling of increasingly disturbing hints is managed very well.

Maybe the Mender went through some extreme changes since the era of the Dominia Cabal. The Nender and the Oender didn't last very long, and the Pender really never got going (the change was just, sort of, pending...) The Qender didn't work at all. Things got dark when she became the Render, but she got REALLY into correspondence when she became the Sender. And then she wound up here...somehow...

Of course, that can't be, seeing as how this is completely unconnected...

Quote:
(seriously, though, four knuckles on a finger? What IS that thing?!?)

This made me want to write Ungar summoning a couple of his friends... beyond that, I even missed the fourth knuckle thing, but the act of deliberately bending a knuckle after another really conveyed the weirdness of its movements. Together with a sentient being with the "it" pronoun, to be honest.

Yeah, this was very intentional.

Is there a third counterpart to the Bloodbringer/Broodbringer couple? If there is, I must have missed it.

Not that we've seen yet...

I mean...

:huh:

Thank you for sharing!

And thank you very much for reading and commenting! I very much appreciate it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:52 pm 

I think my favorite thing is when she says, "I never understood the habit of dividing up time into small increments, only to then count them up again.” I love that sentiment.

It's such a good line!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 pm 

I think my favorite thing is when she says, "I never understood the habit of dividing up time into small increments, only to then count them up again.” I love that sentiment.

It's such a good line!

I feel it says a lot about what sort of being this Girl is...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:26 am 

"Strictly Forbidden" reminds be of Erik and the Wishmonger. Something about the matter-of-fact tone, and the repeated phrase. Meanwhile, I love the term "Child of the Spark." Not only does it make sense for her to use a different term than normal, but if focuses on a different aspect of planeswalking, and fits what we know about this Girl.

"Promises of Power" reminds me of Uncle Ben's line. Except that the responsibility in this case appears to be one of service to the source of power. It's most interesting, then, that the protagonist pauses after getting a hint of the doom to come, before accepting the gift anyway.

The amazing part about "A Cataclysm in Repose" is that it never quite sets aside its tone of quietly gardening, even as you realize what's being farmed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 pm 

Brentain wrote:
"Strictly Forbidden" reminds be of Erik and the Wishmonger. Something about the matter-of-fact tone, and the repeated phrase. Meanwhile, I love the term "Child of the Spark." Not only does it make sense for her to use a different term than normal, but if focuses on a different aspect of planeswalking, and fits what we know about this Girl.

I would not have made that connection myself, but it's a very interesting parallel. And hey, that got me thinking about what would happen if this Girl is the girl from Imagine a Room

I'm glad you like the term "Child of the Spark." I really enjoy coming up with these different phrases for planeswalkers, and thinking about what those phrases reveal about those who use them. This Girl seems to have a very unique relationship with 'walkers, so it made sense that she would have a unique term.

Brentain wrote:
"Promises of Power" reminds me of Uncle Ben's line. Except that the responsibility in this case appears to be one of service to the source of power. It's most interesting, then, that the protagonist pauses after getting a hint of the doom to come, before accepting the gift anyway.

If only we knew more about our protagonist, maybe we would know more about his decision here...

Brentain wrote:
The amazing part about "A Cataclysm in Repose" is that it never quite sets aside its tone of quietly gardening, even as you realize what's being farmed.

I really wanted to run with the "in repose" theme. This story is slow, contemplative, introspective...

...or something.

Thanks for reading, Brentain!

Like this post