It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm 

I got the summer job! Still need to formalize it with an actual contact, but I was offered the job and accepted. So I will spend my summer trying to convince people to become regular donors to the Red Cross.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:28 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I got the summer job! Still need to formalize it with an actual contact, but I was offered the job and accepted. So I will spend my summer trying to convince people to become regular donors to the Red Cross.

Congratulations!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 pm 

According to the Index page, Happy Birthday, Huey!

I hope you have (or have had) a fantastic day!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 pm 

Identity: Human
I give all my congratulations to everyone whom I'm supposed to. Because I'm not here often enough and it's been super-busy and my brain is kind of fried from a long day at the arcade.

So I had a day at a bowling alley/arcade today. It was a lot of fun, especially on the gimmicky Japanese machines like Gunslinger Stratos and Magicians Dead. My friends also forced me into a few rhythm games and I sucked. We also bowled and we found out one friend didn't know how to hold a bowling ball right. Because it never occurred to me that anyone would put their index and middle finger into the holes instead of their middle and ring fingers.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 pm 

Ack! Happy belated birthday, Huey! I hope that somebody treated you to the cake of your choice!

:party:

Aaarrrgh wrote:

Congrats, Aaarrrgh! I hope you enjoy it!

We also bowled and we found out one friend didn't know how to hold a bowling ball right. Because it never occurred to me that anyone would put their index and middle finger into the holes instead of their middle and ring fingers.

Hah, that used to be me! And now look at me! I own my own bowling shoes!

(I still suck at bowling. But I went to a wedding once at a bowling alley, and, while I'm not exactly the epitome of style and distinction, I do draw the line at wearing rented bowling shoes to a wedding. :) )

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:23 am 

So I've been dealing with a mean cough for over a week now. I'm a lot better, but now the wife and kids have it, which is bad for your sleep when you all sleep in the same room. Wife and I are basically taking turns sneaking out to the guest room to get some sleep while the other one stays on cuddle duty for when the girls inevitably cough themselves (or each other) awake.

And still I am in a great mood. You may remember that I did the Swedish equivalent to the SAT a month ago. We got the results back yesterday. I got the highest possible grade. Out of over 62,000 people who took the test, I was one of 36 who got top marks. So I feel basically invincible right now.

What is the coolest thing in your life right now?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:54 am 

I'm beginning to suspect my cat is secretly a dragon. There's a giant pile of change on my table and she refuses to sleep on anything else.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 pm 

Identity: Male
@Aaarrrgh- That is a good grade. It won't make you invincible, but it probably means you're a real smart guy.

The coolest thing in my life right now is that I just got all my appliances hooked up. I've been here a month and only now today do I have a working dishwasher, washing machine, oven and dryer. The fridge was yesterday. The kitchen sink was almost a week ago now.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:18 pm 

I think the coolest thing in my life right now is that I just yesterday found out that I do not, indeed, have scoliosis, despite my right shoulder resting an inch or more below my left. I do have a slight curvature of my spine, but it's only around 5 degrees and means I'm actually pretty normal.

I'm also surprisingly excited for the FLCL sequel. I didn't think I was, but now I probably need it.

I've been kind of torn up this week because of the passing of John Bain, AKA TotalBiscuit.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 pm 

Yay for standard deviations in spine curvature! (That's not a sentence I thought I'd ever use.)

I never personally watched TotalBiscuit, but I saw some tribute videos and such, so I know that a lot of people are affected by his passing. Cancer is the worst.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:24 am 

@Barinellos: Cats may just be dragons.
@Aaarrrgh: Congrats, man!
@TPman: Appliances are civilization.
@Luna: Not having scoliosis is... yes, a good thing I presume.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Yay for standard deviations in spine curvature! (That's not a sentence I thought I'd ever use.)

I never personally watched TotalBiscuit, but I saw some tribute videos and such, so I know that a lot of people are affected by his passing. Cancer is the worst.

I didn't think it was going to affect me. George Carlin kind of inoculated me against the whole "death of a celebrity" loop -- I think I've watched Carlin since I was 12 or so? Still, when I heard the news, it literally floored me. I just... sat on the floor, open-mouthed for a few minutes, trying to process it. I've even cried several times over the week as I watch tribute videos and such, which is definitely not something I expected to do.

But because of someone else doing some math, I realized I've probably spent upwards of 1,000 hours watching and listening to TB over the last... I think 5 years? That's a lot of time to "know" someone, even if I never had any interaction with him. That's longer than I've known some of my actual friends. Taken in that context, it's not unsurprising that I'd be affected by his passing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:38 am 

I've never understood how people get so upset about celebrity deaths, but described that way, I think I can understand at least some of it.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:05 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
I've never understood how people get so upset about celebrity deaths, but described that way, I think I can understand at least some of it.

To be fair, I think there's a distinction between the typical movie/TV celebrity and the new-age youtube/streamer celebrity. I can see someone spending years watching an actor or listening to a musician, but those 1,000+ hours would more than likely come from watching/listening to the same things over and over. With a youtube/streamer personality, you get those 1,000 hours across as if it's a day in their life a lot of the time. A lot of internet celebrities put themselves out there on display, and you begin to know them a lot more intimately than a traditional Hollywood star, almost like you're a friend.

And I know from a certain angle that parasocial relationship sounds incredibly creepy, but my point is that, when you follow these internet celebrities for years, they tend to integrate into your life a lot more like friends do than like art does, because of the nature of their work.

Like, when Robin Williams passed, a lot of people were sad because of all the movies or stand-up he would never do, all the wasted potential of what many would agree was a Really Talented Person. When TotalBiscuit passed, a lot of people were sad because he was a weekly staple in their life, just like meeting a friend every weekend (or perhaps even more often, after work sometimes).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:22 am 

So, speaking of celebs, we actually had one come in to work today.
Unfortunately, it's not a celebrity I would have generally noticed, but it was still kinda neat.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:47 pm 

I got a wrong number from Bob Barker once (well, my house did more than once but I only picked it up the one time). He sounded just like he does on TV* and was really polite.

*This was actually to the point of it being really surreal. When he introduced himself it was with that exact, practiced introduction he used for The Price is Right so I thought he was a pre-recorded message for a few seconds before he said why he was calling.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not a celebrity I would have generally noticed, but it was still kinda neat.

Okay, you've actually got me kind of curious as to whom it was.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:15 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Okay, you've actually got me kind of curious as to whom it was.

Trace Adkins
Not anyone that I have a particular interest in, but famous is famous

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:29 am 

I got a wrong number from Bob Barker once (well, my house did more than once but I only picked it up the one time). He sounded just like he does on TV* and was really polite.

*This was actually to the point of it being really surreal. When he introduced himself it was with that exact, practiced introduction he used for The Price is Right so I thought he was a pre-recorded message for a few seconds before he said why he was calling.

"Hello, I'm Bob Barker and you're listening to me call your house to ask if Stacy's available."
"Sorry for the misdial. This is Bob Barker hoping you'll tune in next time I call your house again"

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 pm 

This is the best story.

Barinellos wrote:
I'm beginning to suspect my cat is secretly a dragon. There's a giant pile of change on my table and she refuses to sleep on anything else.

All cats are dragons in their own minds. :)

Aaarrrgh wrote:
And still I am in a great mood. You may remember that I did the Swedish equivalent to the SAT a month ago. We got the results back yesterday. I got the highest possible grade. Out of over 62,000 people who took the test, I was one of 36 who got top marks. So I feel basically invincible right now.

Congrats, Aaarrrgh! That's awesome!

Aaarrrgh wrote:
What is the coolest thing in your life right now?

I built a frame the other day which I am particularly pleased with!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370 ... 375  Next