It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372 ... 377  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Life has been something of a slog lately.
How're the rest of you holding up?

A sister-in-law visited, and we took her (among other places) to a natural history museum, where I discovered that ramps suspended over two stories of air are absolutely terrifying right after an elevator has disrupted my balance.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm 

Brentain wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
Life has been something of a slog lately.
How're the rest of you holding up?

A sister-in-law visited, and we took her (among other places) to a natural history museum, where I discovered that ramps suspended over two stories of air are absolutely terrifying right after an elevator has disrupted my balance.

I feel that there is a lot of story potential in that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:55 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
today has been... a day.

so to start, I was on a panel at VidCon with Sarah and John Green (and some other lovely people!) talking about arts and humanities education on YouTube. then when I was done I ran into Michael Stevens (of Vsauce) who remembered me from an earlier conversation, asked how my panel went, then brought a friend over to introduce them to me. then I went to hang out in one of the lounges for a bit and Emily Graslie (of The Brain Scoop) came up to me to tell me she really liked what I said on the panel. all of this happened before noon.

after that I'll skip ahead to the evening where I wound up hanging out with Tom Scott at the featured creator party, including running an 800-foot inflatable obstacle course with him, which we both beat although we agreed that we wish we hadn't. then we caught up with Sarah and John again (who I am apparently on a first-name basis with now?) and I got to watch Tom and John geek out about meeting each other, which was adorable. then Tom went off to catch up with Dodie and I left to go back to my room and lie down, after which Tom tweeted at me to apologize for losing me. also he posted a picture of us hanging out, for which he checked like three or four times that I was ok with him tagging me, since I don't usually publicize my face. for those of you who know his work, he is absolutely as wonderful as you'd expect in person and also he follows me on twitter now.

so yeah. a day.

:duel:

PS: none of that is a complaint, obviously, but holy **** am I tired right now.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 am 

Identity: Male
Uncertain which person in the pics is you, so I'm just going to assume turtle.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 am 

You know John Green? I have possibly never been more jealous of anyone, ever.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:45 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Aaarrrgh wrote:

I mean, we're not best friends or anything but John knows of me, which is more than I ever expected to happen.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 am 

Identity: Human
Aaarrrgh wrote:

For me, it's Tom Scott. Also Michael Stevens. But really the only names I don't know are Emily Graslie and Dodie.

I'm kind of left in awe.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:37 pm 

So back in... by Yawgmoth, was it really March? Back in March I mentioned that I was looking for early/test readers for a story my wife & I have been putting together with the intent of making a web serial of it, and/or a novel I was very close to completing.

Well, it's the end of June, but both items are now READY. Well, sort of -- for the Serial, while a lot of work has been done what's ready now are the Prologue Scenes, which took so long because a) they weren't getting 100% attention and b) "minor edits" turned into "near total rewrites". The first and second acts (of nine) are also in decent places, though not quite polished. (in case you're wondering, all of them are mostly written with several previous drafts, but the "outstanding issues" in 3-6 are more numerous while 1&2 have been getting a good deal of polish). I will shortly be sending out a google docs link that should come with full comment privileges to everyone who said they were in. It's short!

As for the Novel, a lot of folks said that while they could take a look at bits of a serial, a full novel would be a little too much Time & Effort to look over (I can't say I blame them, 157,000 words is a lot of words). As such, I will only work on getting a PDF of that to anyone who asks for it explicitly, even if it was implicitly requested before.

If anyone wants to look at either, we/I could use folks with an eye to editing... or just patient readers with a willingness to comment on what they might like/dislike about the production!

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:08 pm 

As for the Novel, a lot of folks said that while they could take a look at bits of a serial, a full novel would be a little too much Time & Effort to look over (I can't say I blame them, 157,000 words is a lot of words). As such, I will only work on getting a PDF of that to anyone who asks for it explicitly, even if it was implicitly requested before.

If anyone wants to look at either, we/I could use folks with an eye to editing... or just patient readers with a willingness to comment on what they might like/dislike about the production!

Despite being out-of-practice for reading back when you asked, I'm just starting to get back into the M:EM and such, and I've been wondering just what to dig into during my upcoming vacation at the end of July. I wouldn't mind having a copy of that. Besides, even if I can't get through the while thing, wouldn't putting it in more hands be better than not?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 am 

Life continues the tyranny, I take it.
Work has been the busiest over the last few weeks as it has been this entire year.
And we have new employees that I, quite frankly, don't get paid enough to train properly considering how much a learning deficit they possess.

In other news, against literally all good judgement, I'm messing around with an idea for a new character screwing around with the idea of magic power armor and disability.

But in other news, and what's likely been weighing on me too heavily is that I've probably seen a friend of mine for the last time. He's moving to North Dakota at the end of the week.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:02 pm 

Hey, friends! Missed you beautiful mutants a whole lot.

I'd love to say that, upon having had some time for personal reflection, I'd come to some sort of an epiphany about the nature of life and death, or the universe as a whole. But nope. I'm simply reminded that time is fleeting, and that every day is a good day to tell the people who are special to you how much you appreciate them.

So just remember that you're all special, and that there's an orc out there who loves ya, OK? <3

TPmanW wrote:
@OL I'm sad/glad to hear that. I don't know what to say really. Isn't the memorial a bit late considering she passed away around New Year's?

It was a very delayed funeral, yes. We decided to hold off until a time when everyone in the family would be able to make it to the service. It was nice to be able to see everyone together, and to get a little closure.

(One story from the service, of the life-is-stranger-than-fiction variety. We interred my grandmother's ashes in the Catholic cemetary, next to the grave of my grandfather, who died almost 40 years ago. By now, his headstone had become a little worn, so we decided to remove it and replace it with a double headstone, which would mark both graves. The gentleman at the monument company assured us that this was fine, and that headstones up to 48" wide were permitted. So, flash forward to the day of the funeral, when, in the pouring rain, the woman who runs the management office at the cemetery dashes out to inform us all that there is a problem, and that the headstone cannot be placed because it is too wide. We inquire as to why this is the case, since the gentleman at the monument company said it was fine. The woman informs us that the gentleman at the monument company was mistaken -- headstones may be up to 48" TALL, but no more than 36" WIDE. Seeing as it is, you know, the day of the funeral, and seeing as, you know, the headstone has already been delivered, we ask the woman if, you know, maybe, she might see her way to making some sort of an exception. She informs us fretfully that, sadly, no, no exceptions can be made. We can leave the headstone in place for the service today, but then it has to come out, and a conforming one ordered as a replacement. [My unserious suggestion that we simply turn the headstone on its side, so that it becomes 48" tall instead of 48" wide, is not approved by the group, although I think grandma would have appreciated my resourcefulness.] When pressed as to why no exceptions can be made, the cemetery manager informs us that, some years back, a local man wanted to place a non-standard headstone, and asked for special permission from the cemetery board. When the cemetery board denied his request, he took it a bit personally, and proceeded to get himself elected to the cemetery board at the next open election. And, apparently, this particular gentleman now periodically patrols the cemetery with a measuring tape, checking each and every installation, to ensure that not a one is even a millimeter larger than the rules permit. Apparently, if he can't have an exception, he's going to make damn sure that no one else ever gets one, either. And there is something about the mental image of this determined curmudgeon, stalking the Catholic cemetery with his rulebook and his meter stick, ready to mete out harsh justice to anyone who would dare to install a 37" wide memorial, which makes me laugh, and reminds me that the world is full of characters so singular and bizarre that no author could ever have invented them. [Post-script: The monument company apologized profusely for the mistake, and agreed to remake the smaller headstone and refund the difference in price. The inviolable laws of the cemetery board remain absolute... :) ])

Barinellos wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
Upon reflection, I've come to the conclusion that Grover of Sesame Street is likely responsible for my love of meta humor.

I never watched much Sesame street. I didn't even know Grover was meta, just that he's the blue one.
It's interesting to look back at formative media experiences though.

It was specifically the book "there's a monster at the end of this book"

My childhood copy of that book was barely held together by tape, because I would pull so hard on the pages, in order to overcome Grover's injunctions not to turn them.

God, did I love that book...

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me to swallow some pure food coloring. For a long time, I said no, but today I finally relented. I should have stuck to my convictions, though, because now I feel like I've dyed a little inside...

Yup... I missed you guys. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:30 pm 

Hey, friends! Missed you beautiful mutants a whole lot.

We missed you, too. <3 <3 <3

...I could have sworn we had a hug smiley...

I'd love to say that, upon having had some time for personal reflection, I'd come to some sort of an epiphany about the nature of life and death, or the universe as a whole. But nope. I'm simply reminded that time is fleeting, and that every day is a good day to tell the people who are special to you how much you appreciate them.

I thought the tree-and-Venus story was pretty poignant.

(I more or less found that from RosewattaStone's babelfishing cards, and I promise to only use my newfound powers for good.)

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:45 pm 

I feel like momentum might finally be shifting back to a writing mood, but I'm wary of it thus far.
I've been in a different gear for awhile, so even if it feels like the clutch is engaged, I'm not sure what to expect quite yet...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:07 pm 

Right? It seems like an oversight!

I thought the tree-and-Venus story was pretty poignant.

Thanks for the kind words. <3 That felt very much like the universe was trying to tell me something, when it happened, although I'm not sure I managed to convey that feeling on the page.

Anyway, here's the short essay:

Stars

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 am 

Right? It seems like an oversight!

Back in the days when MSN Messenger was a thing, they had a feature where you could make your own smilies. I made one of myself offered a hug, and people knew it was me because it was dressed all in black. I also made a three-smilie combo that made a little Kilroy. That one came in handy far less.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 pm 

I also made a three-smilie combo that made a little Kilroy. That one came in handy far less.

I mean, I feel like that's the fault of whoever you were messaging.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 pm 

Things are happening in my corner of the world again guys. None of it bad, but it is leaving me busier than normal and I might be MIA for the next few weeks. I'll let you guys more later.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:28 am 

Just take care buddy.
We'll see you when you get the time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 am 

I swear, my one cat can only enter rooms like a tiny feline version of Kramer.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:52 am 

I applied for a supervisor position, and I was the chosen applicant.
Prrrrrromotion!
And raises!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372 ... 377  Next