It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Evocative Quotations
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:43 pm 

Identity: Male
At Twilight's end the shadow's crossed,
a new world birthed, the elder lost.
Yet on the morn we wake to find
that mem'ry left so far behind.
To deafened ears we ask unseen,
'Which is life and which is dream'.

Dresden Codak - Dark Science

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:44 pm 

"Wardani had donned the emotional equivalent of a vacuum suit, the only response left in the human armory when the moral parameters of the outside environment have grown so outrageously variable that an exposed mind can no longer survive unshielded." - Broken Angels, Richard K Morgan

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:34 pm 

"No, never say 'us' and 'them.' You separate man from his tools- take his clothes, his history and his language away... he becomes an animal. The machines... they are the hands and we are the head. Only together do we make humanity"
-Kaito Kusanagi, Dark Science

"The hunters outnumbered us, only needing to be half as patient as we were careful. Chopping our numbers down nightly."
Unending thunder rolls.
Sickening bursts of light.
The sea and shore unraveling at the seams.
This was more than a fever dream.
It was as though the stars became jagged rows of teeth, snapping us up, gnashing us in darkness.
A turmoil suggesting joy was a lie.
And this was the new eternity.
-Troad, Chaos in the Tropics. (It's a web comic, but I won't link it due to partial nudity.)

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:33 am 

Wherever we have been everyone, down to the last Serb, has greeted us with such friendliness, politeness and true warmth that we are very happy with our visit. - Sophie Chotek, wife of Archduke Franz Ferdinand shortly before the assassinations of both

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 pm 

“Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.” - Fool's Fate

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 pm 

I just found my quote stash so it's time for an evocative mega dump!*

Nothing in this world is useless, Circu, for the well-trained opportunist; for even “uselessness” has its uses. You and your comrades value secrecy overmuch; for you cannot or will not understand the value of status and majesty. The appearance of power is as good as the thing itself among the ranks of men, and nothing conveys as surely the having of power as the ability to put to waste.
-AskTeysa on Tumblr

There are accounts that, if we open our hearts to them, will cut us too deeply - Neil Gaiman

“If that statement starts to chill you after a couple moment’s consideration, then don’t be alarmed. A feeling of intense and crushing religious terror at the concept indicates only that you are still sane” – Watchmen

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only suffering is interesting.” – Ursula Le Guin, The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

“The incentives for kindness in an environment where survival is a function of resources and nobody knows each other are… perhaps they aren’t non-existent, but we can call them “ephemeral” and retain accuracy. Society is a story we have chosen to believe, because the alternative - while readily observable and undeniably true - is monstrous”
-Tycho Brahe, The Penny Arcade one

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov

*"evocative mega dump is trademark pending

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:35 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I don't post here much, but I was skimming through a list of Pratchett quotes and stumbled across one of my all-time favorites:

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:00 pm 

"Beware, Goody Proctor-cleave to no faith when faith brings blood. It is mistaken law that leads you to sacrifice. Life, women, life is God's most precious gift; no principle, however glorious, may justify the taking of it."
- The Crucible

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:37 am 

Guess what I'm reading.

"Oh, I don't hate Tobias. And as I hear his car pull into a stall outside, I realize that I see in him something that I might have become, something that all of us can become in the absence of vigilance. Something bland and smug that trades on its mask, filled with such rage and such contempt for humanity, such need, that the only food left for such a creature is their own flesh. He is like a passenger on a plane full of diseased people that crashes high in the mountains, and the survivors, not trusting each other's organs, snack on their own forearms."
-Douglas Coupland, Generation X

Now Denial: To tell oneself that the only time worth living in is the past and that the only time that may ever be interesting again is in the future.

Succesophobia: The fear that if one is successful, that one's personal needs will be forgotten and one will no longer have one's childish needs catered to.
This one's not quite on the money for me, but it help crystallize a realization of mine- my successes have never brought me anything.

“You know, Dag and Claire smile a lot, as do many people I know. But I always wondered if there is something either mechanical or malignant to their smiles, for the way they keep their outer lips propped up seems a bit, not false, but protective. A minor realization hits me as I sit with the two of them. It is the realisation that the smiles that they wear in their daily lives are the same as the smiles worn by people who have been good-naturedly fleeced, but fleeced nonetheless, in public and on a New York sidewalk by card sharks, and who are unable because of social conventions to show their anger, who don't want to look like poor sports.”
― Douglas Coupland, Generation X

“Their talk was endless, compulsive, and indulgent, sometimes sounding like the remains of the English language after having been hashed over by nuclear war survivors for a few hundred years.”

“'Too much weight improperly distributed: towers and elevators; steel, stone, and cement. So much mass up so high that gravity itself could end up being warped- some dreadful inversion- an exchange program with the sky.'“

Alright, I'll stop now, but Coupland is just so dang quotable.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:30 am 

I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know. - Socrates maybe. It's hard to tell when he's been dead so long.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:09 am 

"There are so many ways to be outside a thing. The article that prompted this response to is the worst way you can ever be outside something. Intellect without penetration. The pretence of pleasure without real joy. Superior in every thought. Snide. Inwardly dead. Experiencing something and feeling the pull of the experience yet neither pushing back or letting go, but flensing the emotion as it is felt."
THe second line has some grammar issues, but I think you get the idea.
http://falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2015/12 ... ty-of.html

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:00 pm 

It isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it is the grain of sand in your shoe. - Robert W. Service

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:40 pm 

Nothing in the universe can travel at the speed of light, they say, forgetful of the shadow's speed. - Howard Nemerov

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:10 pm 

The best way to kill a Great Wind is to trap it, and then crush it. Maybe, like, a steel silo that retracts into the ground. It'll be like trying to crush a bunch of tigers in a grape press, though, so make sure that you build that thing sturdy.
-http://goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/

Man, tigers in a grape press; now that is an image. And a bunch of them, like how grapes are in bunches? Genius.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:50 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
-Terry Pratchett

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:22 pm 

"Write every other word in this first line and print every third word in the same line but capitalize the fifth word that you write." - Voting test for black American voters.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 am 

TPmanW wrote:
"Write every other word in this first line and print every third word in the same line but capitalize the fifth word that you write." - Voting test for black American voters.

For the black ones? What about the others?

Also, what does "print" mean here?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:29 pm 

Identity: Human
As far as I can tell, this is the most legible answer I can get from TP's logic puzzle:

"Write first word capitalize. Write."

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 pm 

with "Write" and "print" i suspect "Write" would call for cursive

every word this line Print third in same but the word you / other this and third the but fifth you

Of course, since the prompt is vague enough to allow such different interpretations, it basically allows the tester to fail and deny the vote to anyone the tester wishes to deny.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:06 pm 

Of course, since the prompt is vague enough to allow such different interpretations, it basically allows the tester to fail and deny the vote to anyone the tester wishes to deny.

I had the same feeling.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next