It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am 

Well no, as the Chandra design shows it seems it’ll sometimes be a purpiseful “players but no PWers.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 am 

The leak is slightly sad, but I am a huge fan of all of the templating changes. Hooray for burn cards finally saying what they actually do! (In Oracle, at least.) Singular "they" was long overdue. As for the rest, I waiting until we see images of the cards before I pass judgement. What I skimmed looks very promising though.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:41 pm 

The problem with errata-ing burn is the difficulty in distinguishing between burn spells that are supposed to be errata-ed and burn spells that aren't, which persists as they intentionally print burn that doesn't hit planeswalkers.

There should be NO errata whatsoever, and WOTC should print what they need to print.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
The burn change is pretty awful from a design standpoint. Changing the entirety of the game for a single card type that has only a handful of cards printed in each set. Cards that only exist to warp formats and steal money

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:48 am 

Notable cards

Teferi - While he's basically Ob Nixilis Reignited with 1 less starting loyalty, being able to untap lands for instants and being able to hit any permanent with the -3 are nice upsides.

Karn - Four mana card draw engine that doubles as a win condition engine. Where do I sign up?

Dauntless Bodyguard - Good upside for an aggro creature, protect your biggest guy when the wrath comes. But I'd still cast him with nothing to protect if he was my only 1 drop.

Lyra Dawnbringer - Baneslayer Angel with different trinket text.

Urza's Ruinous Blast - One sided mass removal is always nice, although this will never hit planeswalkers (except clones of Jace, Cunning Castaway).

History of Benalia - aka history of value.

Healing Grace - The weakest alpha boon is finally buffed. This can act as a one mana Nourish or save a creature's life.

Fall of the Thran - The question is how to sacrifice this after you get it out?

Tetsuko Umezawa - You can build around guys with low power that can be buffed at instant speed (like Char-Rumbler) but why bother when this guy makes Dross Crocodiles unblockable?

Naban - I don't know what this guy does but he sounds cool.

Lich's Mastery - Lich was always a cool flavour card but not something you'd actually want to play (though I recall seeing someone playing it with Nourishing Shoal). This is much better.

Phyrexian Scriptures - Having to wait a turn for your Damnation can be a downside, and exiling creatures a turn later won't help against Kitchen Finks, but at least black has a four mana mass removal spell now (ignoring that there was a three mana one in Hour) and this has some nice upsides too.

Demonlord Belzenlok - I mentioned combo potential earlier, but also a 6/6 flying trample with a cantrip seems good right?

Squee, the Immortal - Another card for the Food Chain + Misthollow Griffin deck. Previous Squee never really wanted to see the battlefield, more of a guy that you just discard to Stormbind over and over, but new Squee has an extra point of power making him a reasonable (and highly resilient) threat.

Jaya's Immolating Inferno - If not for the downside of needing to control a legend, this would easily be the best spoiled card. Powerful, efficient, and not at all subtle, just like Jaya likes it.

Haphazard Bombardment - This destroys three permanents. Two of these can destroy seven permanents between them. And they can hit lands.

Fight with Fire - Reminiscent of Urza's Rage, but it's only nine mana instead of twelve to play the big version, and you have more options. Instead of just doing ten to the face, it could also be used as a board wipe.

The First Eruption - This is a cool ramp spell, if you're ready to play your big card on the very next turn, cause after that it reverse ramps you. But it also gives you a Firespout and the first chapter might kill some creatures too.

Steel-Leaf Champion - It's big. Not exactly krakens and dreadnoughts for jewellery, but it'll kill someone in four turns. I'd like to see them keyword Daunt (this guy's ability), but I guess they don't because of the "magic number" issue.

Gruun, the Lonely King - Not often you see a 20/20 in this game. I guess Fling is not the kindest way to solve his loneliness, unless you're the ladies from Arsenic and Old Lace.

Grand Warlord Radha - This is like using the first two abilities of Xenagos, the Reveler on the same turn. Seems like a good leader for an EDH deck.

Powerstone Shard - Like Cloudpost, but it's easier to make copies of artifacts than lands. Use Saheeli Rai and this card turns into a ritual.

Navigator's Compass - Decks that need Mana Cylix probably also benefit from life gain. This can also help meet conditions of the reprinted dual lands.

Urza's Tome - I think that you will be able to avoid discarding with this on most turns without warping your deck too much, as there are a lot of historic cards. And the mana costs are on the low side for this sort of card.

---

Less notable cards

Evra, Halcyon Witness - It's only one mana cheaper than a Serra Avatar, so it doesn't seem worth risking getting killed for.

Karn's Temporal Sundering - This is actually a cool upside on a time walk since the opponent doesn't get to recast whatever you bounce for another turn, but I don't think this card needed the drawback of being legendary.

Verix Bladewing - There are decks that might want a 4/4 flyer for 4, and there are decks that like the flexibility of being able to cast a 7 mana Broodmate Dragon if the game goes long, but they are not the same decks.

Kamahl's Druidic Vow - A bad Genesis Wave.

Territorial Allosaurus - We have already seen that a 5/5 for 4 isn't good enough to play (Deadbridge Goliath) and neither is a Heartstabber Mosquito.

Damping Sphere - Why is sucking the fun out of the game part of artifacts' color pie?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:57 pm 

I like the rule change because the current rule is totally absurd.

I just had a conversation with a buddy who was playing modern the other day and he goes:
HERO: "Bolt your face?"
VILLAIN: "Redirect to Jace?"
HERO: "No, your face"
VILLAIN: "Resolves"
HERO: "OK, redirect to Jace"

This is super dumb. I thought that hero is being a dick (technically correct dick, but still a dick) UNLESS he thinks VILLAIN is actually angle shooting. Really the best response in a serious game is to call a judge when V asks to redirect.

Yeah, errata kind of sucks but the venn diagram overlap between "people who don't know how bolt works"+"people who play with old burn cards" and "people who play with and against a lot of planeswalkers" is pretty small.

Yeah, it will confuse people but so does lifelink and doublestrike. And not just together. (Really!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm 

Quote:
Damping Sphere - Why is sucking the fun out of the game part of artifacts' color pie?

Because blue already does everything?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
TPmanW wrote:
I was expecting a legendary theme. A legend in every booster is a nice plus.
she/he -> they. About dang time. This is going to clear up a lot of text space at 0 clarity cost.
"Add " - Yeah, I think people will get it.
The original planeswalker card pitch has become an enchantment type? I was actually thinking about something like this not long ago.
Legendary sorceries are awkward. I guess they wanted the type on the card for keyword-matters purposes. Might be worth it, but dang it's ugly.

Bad Knight seems ok to me. He's got a new (and inevitably better) form of protection, and first strike on a bear. Remember when a 1B 2/2 was controversial? Now they're calling black bears+ "bad".

Some slight devil's advocate:

I wouldn't say s/he -> has 0 clarity cost, but usually where it would matter is bad design and would be multiplayer specific designs. Remember the whole Book Burning issue. It's still worth the change.

i.e.

Target player discards two cards. Another target player draws two cards, and they gain 4 life.

Add . It can theoretically add to the "Is adding getting another Forest" newbie problem since it removes the talking point of mana going into the pool, but it's not really a big deal. It saves space and replacing it with something like "Harvest " wouldn't be worth it.

Didn't the original planeswalker design repeat, or did it sacrifice itself, too?

Legendary sorceries... yeah, they don't make sense. There's not really a design that does for nonpermanent spells. The closest I can think of is: "You can't cast this spell if it has the same name as a card in your graveyard," but that still doesn't work.

Hexproof from blah: OMG I love this; reasonable color hate can live!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm 

Target player discards two cards. Another target player draws two cards, and they gain 4 life.

Except that would be worded "Target player discards two cards. Another target player draws two cards and gains 4 life". You wouldn't use "he or she" or "They" there at all.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:45 am 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening

Except that would be worded "Target player discards two cards. Another target player draws two cards and gains 4 life". You wouldn't use "he or she" or "They" there at all.

I was mostly going off of Night's Whisper style templates. Angelic Chorus's wording change tends to make me always want to put a pro/noun before "gain life." But looking at Sign in Blood, you're probably right.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am 

Shortening the mana pool thing and new frames for legendaries are dumb

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:37 am 

Frames for legendaries so you know what counts as historic etc. is no different from how Theros had frames for enchantments so you know what would trigger constellation

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:19 pm 

i thought that was dumb too

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:44 pm 

I normally don’t like to call people salty just because I disagree woth their opinion. But if salty MTGTubers and people on tumblr can stop being salty and using a card game simplifying its language to go on rants about being an idiot if you think nonbinary people exist that’d be lovely.

Also I’m awaiting the flourish and will judge based on how good it works.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm 

Zenbitz wrote:
I like the rule change because the current rule is totally absurd.

I just had a conversation with a buddy who was playing modern the other day and he goes:
HERO: "Bolt your face?"
VILLAIN: "Redirect to Jace?"
HERO: "No, your face"
VILLAIN: "Resolves"
HERO: "OK, redirect to Jace"

This is super dumb. I thought that hero is being a dick (technically correct dick, but still a dick) UNLESS he thinks VILLAIN is actually angle shooting. Really the best response in a serious game is to call a judge when V asks to redirect.
If it helps, he was actually being a massively incorrect dick. If a player states one way or another about how they're going to choose something, they must abide by that. They only get to change it if the opponent choose to respond or act. So as soon as Hero said "No, your face" and Villain said "Resolves", that is what was going to happen.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 pm 

The point is that is all messy. Hero has no obligation to make or announce a redirection decision before the opponent has clearly yielded priority, and Villain trying to make him commit that information before actually deciding whether or not he’s going to let it resolve (and might make a response before it resolves based on that information ) is shady as hell.

If a judge was called here, Villain would get a sharp reprimand here too. Asking if it redirects should be interpreted as offering a shortcut to resolution because that’s a decision that is only made at resolution time. If he asked about the redirect, got an answer, and then attempted a pre-resolution response... that judge will not be kind to Villain.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 pm 

I both like and hate undead squee. I like it because it's hard to kill (castable from gy and exile). My deck surgery dislikes it because it's hard to kill. Hard, not impossible.

Gaea's Blessing
Praetor's Grasp

Good thing I subbed out my diabolic tutors for mastermind's acquisitions (I sideboard things for extremely niche cases, pull from eternity, sudden spoiling, etc...).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm 

Quote:
If a player states one way or another about how they're going to choose something, they must abide by that.
?

Really? So it's main phase 1. My opponents asks if I am going to attack with my 2/2. I say "sure". Opponent flashes in a 3/3.
I say "go to combat?"... I can no longer change my mind?

Or - without touching a creature - You ask me if I am going to attack with 2/2, I say yes - then I say - wait, what are our life totals? Oh. Go to combat, no attacks.

Or - I have a creature. You bounce it in combat. They you say "You are just going to cast it again main phase 2, right?" I say yup. Then I change my mind.

Those are illegal?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm 

Zenbitz wrote:
Quote:
If a player states one way or another about how they're going to choose something, they must abide by that.
?

Really? So it's main phase 1. My opponents asks if I am going to attack with my 2/2. I say "sure". Opponent flashes in a 3/3.
I say "go to combat?"... I can no longer change my mind?

Or - without touching a creature - You ask me if I am going to attack with 2/2, I say yes - then I say - wait, what are our life totals? Oh. Go to combat, no attacks.

Or - I have a creature. You bounce it in combat. They you say "You are just going to cast it again main phase 2, right?" I say yup. Then I change my mind.

Those are illegal?
I think you are reading a bit too much into this. I think it refers to cards that offer choices. You can't change your mind about things mid resolution if things change.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 pm 

Yeah, it's for things like if you play Pithing Needle and name a card before the opponent responds

Like this post