It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 am 

ImageImage

Mu Yanling and Jiang Yanggu are two new Planeswalkers from the new Global Series Planeswalker decks! (Source)

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am 

Identity: Female
I really dig Mu Yanling's art. Neither of these is particularly powerful, but then they never put strong planeswalkers in dual decks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am 

Wizards is doing some weird things with Standard legality recently. First the Buy-a-Box promos, now regional legality?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
What is this exactly

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm 

LilyStorm wrote:
What is this exactly
China-only (well sort of) duel decks meant to help Asian-language new players on-ramp into Standard. They are Standard Legal in China only and the decks will feature Chinese artists and cards that promote Chinese culture. They will also be printed in English so collectors can have them.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:18 pm 

Seems counter intuitive to trying to be an annoying inclusive company.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:20 pm 

Eh, China has a lot of people and those people have money. This seems like a stab at getting as many new players from that region as possible and reap the corresponding windfall of cash.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm 

Special cards printed in china is great but why cant the english printings be standard legal? Thats just weird and confusing. The cards are bad but what if someone was participating in a international tournemnt and a future whatever-country-only card is actually good?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:39 pm 

I'm digging Mu Yanling. Nice art, reasonable loyalty minigame, and abilities that are all at least a little nifty. She's not great, but I can find a home for her somewhere.

Not so sure about Jiang Yanggu. The fact that his boosts are single-target makes him less attractive to me than Garruk Wildspeaker (with whom he shares "Power and trample ult the turn after I enter"). In fact, he seems a pretty degraded version of Garruk overall: same ability outlay at +1 Starting Loyalty/Ult cost, +1 mana cost, and the token he makes is legendary. I guess he has +1 to buff rather than to untap lands but I think I'd rather have the untap lands.

Also, I think from their PW types that their names are arranged in the typical East Asian "Surname followed by given name" pattern, so they're Yanling & Yanggu, not Mu & Jiang, as far as personal names. Of course, asian countries are more likely to use their surnames in day to day life so calling then by said name isn't wrong...

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:26 am 

Identity: Male
I guess they wanted to pump up their presence in China faster than they could put something into the standard release schedule? I can see how it would be disappointing to new Chinese players if they couldn't use their cards, so that explains why it's legal there.
It doesn't explain why it's not standard legal elsewhere. Did they think it was too much of an upset for standard back home? Maybe they thought it wouldn't sell outside China? The latter would probably indicate the decks aren't great.
I'm also not certain this is something that Chinese players want. I don't really know what they actually want, but I'm reminded of the classic marketing folly of making pink toy trains for girls. Turns out girls just wanted regular 'ol trains and the toys ended up being repainted.

I've been waiting to see something like that Mowu ability for a long time. I hope that token is awesome.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
TPmanW wrote:
I've been waiting to see something like that Mowu ability for a long time. I hope that token is awesome.

Nissa, Sage Animist had a similar ability. Tolsimir Wolfblood, too, if you're looking for legendary doggos.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:11 am 

TPmanW wrote:

Nissa, Sage Animist had a similar ability. Tolsimir Wolfblood, too, if you're looking for legendary doggos.

Also Kari Zev.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Yanggu's +1 irks me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:07 pm 

Identity: Male
TPmanW wrote:

Side effect of trying to forget Nissa, and especially Ashaya. Big fan of Tolsmir though.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 am 

regional legality is pretty weird. Is there even groundwork for different cards being legal in different regions? Do we essentially have two formats now (standard-chinese and standard-international)? can game shop owners host sanctioned events using the standard-chinese format outside of china?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:51 am 

Are these legal if I'm playing at a Standard tournament held in a Chinese embassy elsewhere in the world?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:10 am 

what if you're playing at a standard tournament held on an airplane and it flies over china

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm 

What if you are a Chinese-American with 51% Non-Chinese genetic make-up playing in a Standard Magic Tournament while riding in a 51% Chinese manufactured Starship Enterprise flying over a sector of the galaxy under Chinese Intergalactic authority which is about to pass through an inter-dimensional worm hole that puts the passengers in space time occupying American and Chinese Intergalactic authority simultaneously fluctuating the space-time shared by each entity of which the determination of how that space-time is being shared follows the concept of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

What then?

WHAT THEN?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:56 pm 

I say let the dude play with his terribad cards everywhere in the multiverse.

For great freedom!

Like this post