It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:06 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Let's start the voting!

Shazzeh wrote:
Splice onto instant or sorcery [cost] (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

Rekindle [cost] (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may exile this card from your graveyard and pay its rekindle cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

Written in Steel
Instant (C)
Draw a card.
Engrave (Rather than cast this spell, you may pay its engrave cost. If you do, put a 2/2 colorless Golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield and exile this card. When that token dies, you may cast this spell without paying its mana cost.)

Ancient Knowledge :2::u::u:
Sorcery
Draw a card for every artifact relic token you control.
Buyback - sacrifice an artifact relic token.

Elvish Amplification
Instant
Spellproxy (You may pay an additional and discard a nonland card as you cast this spell. If you do, put this card into your hand as it resolves.)
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Frog's Breakfast
Instant (C)
Multikicker—Exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard. (You may pay an additional and exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard any number of times as you cast this spell.)
Put a 1/1 blue Elemental creature token with flying onto the battlefield, then put another of those tokens onto the battlefield for each time ~ was kicked.

I can't believe no one thought of replicate.

Arqwart wrote:
Numbing Frost
Instant (C)
Epiphany (When you cast this spell, reveal the top card of your library. If it's an instant or sorcery card, you may pay :2: to put it into your hand.)
Choose one - Remove target creature from combat; or tap target creature.

The biting chill freezes even the hottest of tempers.

Confused wrote:
Fazoo's Preparations -
Instant
Gem (, Exile this card from your hand: Put a colorless Gem Artifact token with "Sacrifice this artifact: Cast a card named Fazoo's Preparations from your exile zone without paying its mana cost." onto the battlefield. Gem only as a sorcery.)
Draw a card

Shazzeh wrote:
Frozen Breath
Sorcery (C)
Put a 1/1 blue Elemental creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Crystallize (When you cast this spell, you may exile it. If you do, put a colorless artifact token onto the battlefield with ", : Add Frozen Breath's effects to target instant or sorcery spell.")

Mown wrote:
Cerebral Culmination
Sorcery
Draw a card.
Feedback (Add this card's other effects to the next instant or sorcery card you play.)

altimis wrote:
Ancient Mist --
Instant (C)

Swap (When you cas this spell, you may return a nonland permanent you control to your hand. If you do, you may copy this spell and choose a new target for the copy.)
Draw a card. If a Relic was swapped with Ancient Mist, draw another card.

:2::u::u:
Instant
Put target nonland permanent on top of its owner's library.
Keyword(when this spell resolves,you may chose to empty your mana pool and untap all lands you control at the beginning of the next upkeep).

Chill Wind
Instant
Return target enchantment or creature to its owner's hand.
Rebound
Way too cold flavor text

Recurring Dream
Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
Draw a card.
-Basically, it's a cheaper Divination.

Goblin wrote:
Advanced Intelligence
Sorcery
Draw two cards.
Retain 1 (this card costs less to cast for each card named ~ in your graveyard)

Voting closes on Tuesday.

I vote for Engrave.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:27 pm 

Could you throw Convoke into the list, as well?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:43 pm 

Identity: Male
Convoke is something for another vote. It's not really a "spell mechanic".

Feedback, Spellproxy and Engrave are all pretty sweet. Definitely my top three of the new mechanics. Splice is pretty sweet, but could cause all sorts of problems with costing and playing against splice decks. Rebound is an old favorite with plenty left to give.
Geez this is tough.
Feedback - Effect is potentially powerful but limited enough to be safe. Plays well even with nonfeedback spells. Obvioulsy it should have an "until end of turn" on there. I'm assuming the lack of is simply a typo. Would feedbacks stack?
Spellproxy - Alterable cost gives us something to tweak to control power. Could make early game spells relevant lategame with multiple copies. Discard outlet.
Engraved - Exiling the card solves all memory issues (just use the card as the token). Stapling a creature onto spells could let us really push the number of instants/sorceries in the spell colours. The question is whether players think a 2/2 is good reason to delay their spells. Works well with sacrifice effects I guess.
Rebound - It's dead simple. Some people think that's a negative, but it's definitely a plus (complexity bad, elegance good). It gives spells much-needed lasting power they'll need if we want an instants & sorceries archetype. We don't have a returning mechanic yet and Rebound would check that box off nicely. Plus MaRo thinks it's worth reprinting. He probably says more about it, but his blog's search function sucks.

I vote Rebound

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:22 am 

Engrave. I like that it lets you turn spells into creatures, but not in a way that just ignores them being spells. You even get your cast triggers when the thing dies!

It also lets spells players bog down combat a little bit without having to run a bunch of walls, because people will be reluctant to attack into certain golems.

And the death trigger thing works well in black, which helps explain why black is one of the spells colors (did you know that Sins of the Past is literally the only black card ever to say "instant or sorcery" on it?).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
TPzombieW wrote:
Feedback - Effect is potentially powerful but limited enough to be safe. Plays well even with nonfeedback spells. Obvioulsy it should have an "until end of turn" on there. I'm assuming the lack of is simply a typo. Would feedbacks stack?

Should it obviously have that? Because that was in no way my intent.
I'm not sure about what you mean in regards to stacking, but if you're talking about giving a spell multiple instances of feedback, then I can inform you that it's a very poor idea unless you reword it accordingly.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:44 am 

rebound

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Any opinions on having Engrave exiling the cards face down instead? I like the mind games, but it also requires more memory to keep track of for your opponent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:12 pm 

My opinion is this is a bad idea.

I assume the engrave costs are different for each card (since the spell will later be free) so it is public information which golem triggers which spell at the time you engrave it. Depending on the REL of the game you are in, your opponenet may or may not be able to simply ask you which golem triggers which spell.

Also, not all players will use the cards as tokens; some may actually put the cards into the exile zone and use tokens as tokens. When you are both separating multiple tokens from the spells they trigger and hiding what those spells are, I think problems will arise from mutual game errors to intentional cheating.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Those thoughts did come to mind. Although I think most people would just put the exiled card under the token, but the potential for misdirection is pretty high.
Although the different costs can be mindgames. You can use the same lands as something that costs and , for example, as long as you tap both a forest and island to pay for it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:25 pm 

If you are suggesting that the card not be revealed when you engrave the spell, that places a burden on the opponent to take your word (or track) that you did indeed use the correct colors of mana when you engraved your golem ten turns ago.

EDIT: We are clearly just talking about morph spells here so lets stop beating around the bush. The fact that no relevant information is hidden (including mana) while playing a morph creature is neccessary I think. I also think a more direct variant of the morph mechanic (i.e. the spell will say morph on it probably) is better for this idea.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:32 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

But playing spells as face-down permanents is a pretty bad idea.
Anyway, whatever, I like open game states as well. It was just a curiosity of mine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:36 pm 

Mown wrote:
But playing spells as face-down permanents is a pretty bad idea.
Probably as bad as playing creatures as auras attached to other permanents. Nothing that slapping ten new paragraphs into the already-bloated comprehensive rules wouldn't fix. :)

I approve of bloating comprehensive rules as long as the gameplay is intuitive.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Well, the problem is that it's not very intuitive. The rules do handle it.
Primarily a case of what happens when you flicker a face-down spell.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:32 pm 

Mown wrote:
TPzombieW wrote:

Should it obviously have that? Because that was in no way my intent.
I'm not sure about what you mean in regards to stacking, but if you're talking about giving a spell multiple instances of feedback, then I can inform you that it's a very poor idea unless you reword it accordingly.

If it doesn't have an "until end of turn" on there, then if you didn't cast another spell that turn it would effect the first spell you cast on your next turn, or the turn after that, or... well you get the idea. t creates memory issues.
By stacking I "meant", if you cast spell A with feedback, then cast spell B (also with feedback), then cast spell C, would spell C have the abilities of both spell A and B? Or would it just have ability B?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm 

Mown, are you voting for engrave? (You should!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:43 pm 

I like engrave quite a bit, but mostly because I think it will be fun to design for. Holding my vote for now.

But so like, Fire // Ice has a chance to win this round in blue, would that mean split cards would be the returning mechanic?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:54 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
But so like, Fire // Ice has a chance to win this round in blue, would that mean split cards would be the returning mechanic?

Split cards don't actually feel to me like they take up the returning mechanic slot, though other people may disagree.

Although I must say, split cards with rebound would be awesome. One mode the first time, the other mode the second time? Would that even work?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:21 pm 

Split cards don't actually feel to me like they take up the returning mechanic slot, though other people may disagree.

Although I must say, split cards with rebound would be awesome. One mode the first time, the other mode the second time? Would that even work?

I would agree.
That's worth looking into. I think it would work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:27 pm 

I feel like if you're not even sure it works, it's probably too obscure an interaction to assume other people will understand.

Go engrave!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:36 pm 

Shazzeh wrote:
I feel like if you're not even sure it works, it's probably too obscure an interaction to assume other people will understand.

Go engrave!

Nha, the interaction's simple enough. It's just a question of whether it's stopped by rules minutiae.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next