It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
So, this is my first deck post and I just had to share it because of how hilariously fun it is to play. I'm excited to share this deck mostly because it's hilarious, but surprisingly, more often than not-- good. It's definitely exceeded my expectations and I've just had a blast playing it! If you enjoy playing fun, fringe decks that nobody else is using, you might want to consider giving this one a spin. It's surprisingly resilient to competing archetypes like elves and tokens/thopters, and it can even power through some of the more well-established decks using its board presence and card advantage. Although fragile at times, when this thing pops-off, it pops-off! And while it's not always great, it's always fun!

Creatures (19)
1 x kytheon, hero of akros
3 x topplegeist
2 x expedition envoy
4 x sacred cat
2 x sram, senior edificer
2 x wharf infiltrator
2 x temmet, vizier of naktamun
3 x reflector mage

Artifacts(2)
2 x smuggler's copter

Sorceries (4)
2 x declaration in stone
2 x collective effort

Enchantments (13)
3 x cartouche of solidarity
4 x cartouche of knowledge
3 x trial of solidarity
3 x trial of knowledge

Lands (22)
10 x plains
8 x island
2 x prairie stream
2 x glacial fortress


Things to consider:
•swapping 1 cat for 1 envoy for +power, but -synergy
•angelic destiny
•open into wonder
•selfless spirit
•gideon, ally of zendikar


Last edited by Dmannn on Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2015
Posts: 645
That does look fun. I made a somewhat similar deck but mine uses Oketra's monument to make lots of tokens and just uses the white trial (with Sram and both Cartouches). Have you tried Dusk//Dawn? 1 sided sweepers that can restock your hand later are pretty sweet.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 10, 2013
Posts: 9730
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
these types of logical-sequence decks are probably my favourite types to play. I'm REALLY bad at mulligans though so often these aren't good for me. Covert's thopter deck back in the way had a logical sequence to it that I absolutely adored. When it comes out how it's supposed to, it just feels like a factory. I'm sure this is the same. yay for fun decks



i'll never play this

_________________
DCG-MTG wrote:
There's a limited amount of fun to be had in a single game, and this deck will ensure no one has any of it.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:31 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
That does look fun. I made a somewhat similar deck but mine uses Oketra's monument to make lots of tokens and just uses the white trial (with Sram and both Cartouches). Have you tried Dusk//Dawn? 1 sided sweepers that can restock your hand later are pretty sweet.

Yeah, I thought about dusk/dawn, but its cmc is just too high for the deck, and I really haven't needed it thus far. Thanks for the suggestion.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:52 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
these types of logical-sequence decks are probably my favourite types to play. I'm REALLY bad at mulligans though so often these aren't good for me. Covert's thopter deck back in the way had a logical sequence to it that I absolutely adored. When it comes out how it's supposed to, it just feels like a factory. I'm sure this is the same. yay for fun decks



i'll never play this


Hahah. Well, this one isn't that tough to pilot. You just gotta take advantage of getting in your early damage and drawing cards off of sram when you can. And you gotta watch out for sweepers-- just like any creature-based deck. And mulliganing with this deck is not too hard, just dont keep a hand with no creatures pretty much.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 10, 2013
Posts: 9730
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
But...but... look at all these cartouches!!!

/keep

_________________
DCG-MTG wrote:
There's a limited amount of fun to be had in a single game, and this deck will ensure no one has any of it.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:24 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
Yeah, cartouches that will do NOTHING without your OWN creatures to put them on! :D


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 07, 2016
Posts: 301
I had a similar U/W idea when I posted my R/W Trial/Cartouche deck

I think you could probably get by with just 2 of each Trial, as you won't really have the mana to re-cast multiple bouncing trials. I assume running 3 is mostly to increase your chances of seeing one, since the deck is built around them and meant to be more fun than competitive.

My idea involved using all those recurring enchantments to trigger Sigil of the Empty Throne, and/or discard/cycling to trigger Drake Haven.
Had you considered those? It would fit the deck well with defensive/delaying tactics like Reflector Mage, etc

_________________
"Minions, servants, soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call... of Kel'Thuzad!"

Image


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
Kel'Thuzad wrote:
I had a similar U/W idea when I posted my R/W Trial/Cartouche deck

I think you could probably get by with just 2 of each Trial, as you won't really have the mana to re-cast multiple bouncing trials. I assume running 3 is mostly to increase your chances of seeing one, since the deck is built around them and meant to be more fun than competitive.

My idea involved using all those recurring enchantments to trigger Sigil of the Empty Throne, and/or discard/cycling to trigger Drake Haven.
Had you considered those? It would fit the deck well with defensive/delaying tactics like Reflector Mage, etc

Of course the idea of abusing sigil crosses your mind when building an enchantment-based deck, but those cards are just too slow for the goal of the deck, and they would cause a complete alteration of the deck itself since those are mid-range cards. If you're going the more mid-range route, you'd have to take out most of the 1 drops, add more lands, add more removal, etc. A lot of the cards in the deck are aggressive, and sigil and haven are just too slow.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 07, 2016
Posts: 301
Dmannn wrote:
Kel'Thuzad wrote:
I had a similar U/W idea when I posted my R/W Trial/Cartouche deck

I think you could probably get by with just 2 of each Trial, as you won't really have the mana to re-cast multiple bouncing trials. I assume running 3 is mostly to increase your chances of seeing one, since the deck is built around them and meant to be more fun than competitive.

My idea involved using all those recurring enchantments to trigger Sigil of the Empty Throne, and/or discard/cycling to trigger Drake Haven.
Had you considered those? It would fit the deck well with defensive/delaying tactics like Reflector Mage, etc

Of course the idea of abusing sigil crosses your mind when building an enchantment-based deck, but those cards are just too slow for the goal of the deck, and they would cause a complete alteration of the deck itself since those are mid-range cards. If you're going the more mid-range route, you'd have to take out most of the 1 drops, add more lands, add more removal, etc. A lot of the cards in the deck are aggressive, and sigil and haven are just too slow.


Maybe, but by that logic if you're going super-aggressive, you may as well make yours a R/W deck. And yes, if going the Sigil route, one would cut the one drops and make it more mid-range/defensive.

This is what I threw together quick but probably needs some refinement;

Creatures (14):
2x Sram, Senior Edificer
1x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy (Digs cards, discard triggers Haven, delay attackers if he flips)
2x Glory-Bound Initiate (Ignores the drawback of exert if we play white Trial - Becomes quite strong with either of the Cartouches on him)
2x Auramancer (Enchantment recursion)
2x Spell Queller (Stall tactic)
3x Reflector Mage (Stall tactic - and a body for enchantments to buff)
2x Curator of Mysteries (Cycle to trigger Haven or just a good creature - Plenty of ways to trigger the Scry)

Artefacts (2):
2x Smuggler's Copter (Looting triggers Haven, triggers Sram on ETB)

Instant/Sorcery (2):
2x Hieroglyphic Illumination (Optional card draw or Cycle to trigger Haven)

Enchantments (20): (all fairly self-explanatory)
3x Cartouche of Solidarity
3x Cartouche of Knowledge
2x Drake Haven
2x Trial of Solidarity
2x Trial of Knowledge
2x Anointed Procession
2x Cast Out
2x Sigil of the Empty Throne

Lands (24):
10 Plains
9 Islands
2 Glacial Fortress
2 Prairie Stream
1 Westvale Abbey (why not, since we're spawning tokens [potentially doubled])

Doesn't always work, but fun when it does :]
Attachment:
20170510150407_1.jpg
20170510150407_1.jpg [ 222.44 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]

_________________
"Minions, servants, soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call... of Kel'Thuzad!"

Image


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
That's interesting, and I initially had a lot of those cards in the deck, but most of them got cut because they were either too slow, or didn't synergize well enough with the rest of the deck. I'm going U/W because the trials and cartouches seem to mesh very well together, and blue keeps the deck fueled. I foresee red running out of gas.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:03 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 16, 2016
Posts: 118
The deck has been updated to 22 land (+1 island), and +1 temmet. I took out 1 envoy instead of a cat to keep the synergy level higher, and I took out 1 cartouche of solidarity because having 2 in your opener without any payoff wasn't great.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 06, 2013
Posts: 40
Kel'Thuzad wrote:
Doesn't always work, but fun when it does :]
Attachment:
20170510150407_1.jpg


You are in white, why not throw in a pair of Planar Outbursts? Could help with clear the board after a slow start or to reset after you get Throne on the table.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group