It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 pm 

Fine. One more.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm 

The hoodie one is the best one

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:39 pm 

The hoodie one is the best one

A majority of posters do not want to see that as my avatar.

Edit: I am guessing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 pm 

Ouf who cares. Mythic is mostly gone and I don’t think anyone else would have a problem

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 pm 

So far Monster Hunter World seems like a lot of button mashing. I am not sure how much damage I did to the thing or how I'm supposed to know when it's close to death but I killed the big thing and made my cat wear it's pelt as new armor. Yay cat armor! And um...... yeah that explains the total summary of what the game has taught me so far. I can't seem to get the targeting reticule to work the way I want to, and other than mashing Y and B it seems to just be rolling out of the way of attacks. If it's something other than a button masher hopefully I develop that skill sooner rather than later.

Edit: Apparently my cat is now part Cubone.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 am 

One of these days I'm going to make a meme with a trophy case that says "This is where I would put my Arena beta invite. IF I HAD ONE!!!"

Then I could just repost that over and over.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am 

Monster Hunter World does not have a "Start Game In Offline Mode" option.

It has a "Create Online Session" -> "Please Buy XBOX Live" -> "Error Detected. Start game in offline mode?" -> "Starting game in offline mode. Go to *insert any questgiver here* to get back online." option.

I'm going to love this game.

Edit: This just proves that Dark Souls 3 is the superior Monster Hunting game I just have to put that much out there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am 

More than you love me?!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:24 am 

More than you love me?!

I'm not sure if you've noticed but your rice cooker seems to be on fire. You should put that out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:30 am 

This will last until Sunday evening at best.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:06 am 

I love it

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 am 

get a room!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 am 

Played almost 2 more hours of Monster Hunter World. ..... Still button mashing b/c no idea how to actually do anything else. I have learned how to look at the map though so that's a plus...

Summary of my play-time: Got lost for an hour doing a bunch of random objectives, finally figured out how to use the map, then chased a giant ass dodo around the map for 40 minutes. <- Complete success of a play session. I have no idea what the **** is going on at all. But my cat has been upgraded from Cubone head to Turban so everything must be good right?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:07 am 

Complaint about monster hunter: The upgrade structure doesn't make sense. As far as I can tell the game expects me to upgrade armor frequently. But it also expects me to frequently replace that armor, meaning that all those upgrades were completely wasted. And armor spheres are not hard to come by but it's a mini version of the Arena wild-card system. I feel bad upgrading anything because I know I'm wasting the exact same resource used to upgrade ALL armor, and the game is designed for you to keep crafting new armor that is worse than what you currently have until you upgrade that too.

I'm basically at the point where I'm going to upgrade my semi-starting gear to Level 3 and then wait until something's base strength is a strict upgrade or I hit a brick wall. B/c everything else seems really dumb.

And everything for my cat seems to be a lateral movement rather than an upgrade, so I've got like 4 sets of armor for the poor thing where i'm not sure what I'm going to do once I run out of inventory space. And that's all I'm crafting b/c cat armor doesn't get upgraded so ..... yeah that's all i'm crafting. Cat now has a turban and a lute. Hope it likes it b/c this might turn into fashion souls real quick.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 am 

If I drank a shot (I don't drink btw so the previous version didn't make sense) every time I get called Meowster, I would have alcohol poisoning within an hour. I get it's part of the game's atmosphere but it's not at all as cute as it's supposed to be.

Edit: Probably within 10 minutes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
mjack33 wrote:
If I drank a shot (I don't drink btw so the previous version didn't make sense) every time I get called Meowster, I would have alcohol poisoning within an hour. I get it's part of the game's atmosphere but it's not at all as cute as it's supposed to be.

Edit: Probably within 10 minutes.

Lol... so is that game any good? I looked at the previews, and immediately thought... ‘no way!’

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 am 

[quote="[url=http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?p=605501#p605501]
Lol... so is that game any good? I looked at the previews, and immediately thought... ‘no way!’[/quote]

I have no idea what the **** is going on so I don't know.

The game is definitely poor at communication, but it's also very pretty. If it turns out that big enemies do have health bars and I just can't see it, or that combat is more in-depth than button mashing with stats, then maybe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 am 

There's something about a cat with a mustache and Turban with full accouterments licking itself that is quite odd.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:09 am 

With a lute on its back btw.

Speaking of, I think I found the health bar for the big dudes inside of all the visual clutter. That helps a bit.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:00 pm 

So I've played the game for 10+ hours now and this is my first impressions of Monster Hunter World:

- The game's combat is not button mashing. But.... it's basically button mashing with a dodge roll. You have 3-6 attack combos per weapon and not much else to do, so most of combat is knowing when to attack and when to get the fudge out of the way. To my great regret the game will not let you cancel a combo once you've started it, so it's not just button mashing.... You have to know when to stop pressing buttons and get out of the way. But this is not significantly deeper than that. It is definitely not as deep as a Devil May Cry or God of War or other games with very lengthy and varied combo systems.

- Unless it's limping and it goes back to its nest, I have no idea how close a monster is to death. There's a red bar that indicates how close you are to breaking certain parts, which I mistook for health for a bit (why wouldn't the red bar going down be the enemies health bar?), but basically I do not know how close something is to death ever. I have indicators such as I cut it's tail off or it retreated to its nest or it's limping, but combat can and has gone on for 5+ minutes past these points so there isn't a true indicator as far as I can tell that the enemy is about to die. I don't know if that's good or bad or I'm just an idiot and missing something really obvious after 10 hours of play, but as far as I can tell there is no clear indicator of when the enemy is finally going to lie down and die.

- The game is extremely pretty. Like...... the game looks really damn good.

- Upgrading your equipment feels necessary and yet punishing at the same point in time. I've reached a middle ground where I never upgrade anything past 3 and I just craft every armor set that completely invalidates my current level 3 armor. Why stop at level 3? Well all armor, and I mean ALL OF THE FREAKING ARMOR IN THE GAME, uses the exact same single item for upgrades. Crafting armor pieces requires different materials, but upgrading armor always uses armor spheres. So anything spent on lesser equipment is "wasted" once you finally replace it. Gear can be upgraded up to level 6. The first two upgrades are "cheap", and after that it gets very expensive. So for example it costs 2 armor spheres for my current set I'm trying to make for levels 2 and 3, and then it costs 5 spheres for level 4. That 5 spheres is not worth it so I'll end up investing in something better once I get that far into the crafting tree.

- Some loot necessary for crafting armor only drops as quest rewards. This is extremely frustrating. The current example pissing me off is that I'm trying to make a set of Pukei-Pukei armor before moving onto the 2nd area of the game. That's the set that invalidates my 1st major lvl 3 set. 2 pieces of this armor set require a single poison sac each to craft. Poison sacs have a 10-20% chance to be a quest reward (depending on the quest difficulty), or rather each quest reward has a 10-20% chance to be a Poison Sac. So I have to keep repeating this quest over and over for what is essentially a quest reward that just won't drop for me. This compounds with the next issue, which is.....

- The game doesn't separate high-level enemies into their own area. The Pukei-Pukei, which is my level, is in the same area as a Fire-Breathing T-Rex. For lack of a better option, I end up in a 3-way battle with the enemy I want to kill and the enemy that is way too high a level for me for the first 5 minutes of that quest every time. Then the stupid poison spitting bird flees and I have to spend the next 5 minutes running from this T-Rex enemy. Once I've finished that, I have to hunt down essentially the hardest enemy I have currently been able to kill to try and farm it for an item that the stupid quest just won't drop. This is not how I want to spend my Thursday evening, but it's probably how I'm going to spend my Sunday evening (I'm taking a fricking break Friday and Saturday b/c this quest is killing me).

Overall, my first impressions of the game is that it's very pretty with very cool enemies that are very varied; but the actual variety in the combat more comes from the enemy movesets than anything my character can do. Actual combat is mostly a mix of button mashing (mashing the attack buttons or the dodge buttons as appropriate), and every 2nd or 3rd story mission is a big difficulty spike that expects you to grind it out a bunch before moving on. The grinding has only really been frustrating for poison sacs so far, but I'm sure there will be other items that frustrate me later. It seems that if the monster itself can drop the item the grinding isn't too bad, but if you are relying on a 20% chance in the loot table you are in for a bad time.

I would initially recommend the game to people who want to see the monsters more than they want to play the game? I'm not sure if that came out right. Basically I think most of the enjoyment of the game is based on cool things the creatures are doing. The actual combat options you get are kind of meh, so the "skill" comes from learning when to dodge/block and learning which body parts to try to attack (the lock on in this game is horrendously bad) than it does learning the moveset, because the moveset isn't very varied for any particular weapon (there is a ton of weapon variety but I can guarantee you'll hate most of them). And the game definitely expects you to grind a lot so you have to be willing to put up with that.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next