It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 pm 

Shaddap

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 pm 

No.

Shorter Version: The game is nice to look-at, especially the monsters. The gameplay is grindy and semi-boring. I think you have to like the core gameplay loop of "Farm monster with the same old attacks but new dodging techniques, farm that monster way too much -> Get excited that you have the stats to deal with a new monster -> repeat with new monster".

Edit:

Side effect of grindiness: the money is essentially infinite. Like...... I'm making money/research-points significantly faster than I'm spending it. The only time I was short on money was the first 2-3 main quests. Unless end-game crafting requires way more money/points, I'm never going to run out due to how grindy core game is.

Last edited by mjack33 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:44 pm 

Those walls of text are sUPER boring!

Im glad I skipped out on that game tho

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:48 pm 

Those walls of text are sUPER boring!

Im glad I skipped out on that game tho

You aren't missing much. I'm never thought I'd say this but getting chased by the same fire-breathing T-Rex over and over while chasing the same poison breathing Pterodactyl across the map half a dozen times is really boring. One day I'm going to come back and murder this T-Rex @#$@$$ @$@# @$#@ $@#$@ @#$@$ and @#$@#$# @#$@$ @#$@ $ until I'm satisfied I've had my revenge. Probably as part of some grind to get Fire-Resistant gear for whatever lava breathing @#@#$@ is pissing me off at the time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:50 pm 

Barney Version: It's like Shadow of the Colossus was much less polished but was 10 times as big and had smaller enemies that are there just to be annoying.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm 

No really. I think at this point in time the smaller enemies are there just for me to smack them over the head 2-3 times and then immediately fall over and die. They are essentially there to keep you from focusing on the big dude/dudette.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm 

Why is dude a word but dudette sets off the spell check?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:22 am 

Apparently, and I've just learned this, MTG: Arena hands out free packs (3) once per week that are closed beta only. So if the economy was left alone it would actually be much worse than it currently is lol. Um..... good job WOTC. Good job.

-----------

In On Topic Off Topic News, I have finally killed this Fire Breathing T-Rex **** at least once. That means I can do it again. And I'm not going to rest until I have a full suit made out of this ****'s pelt. It's revenge time baby!

I've also noticed that leveling up Anja armor (T-Rex Armor) now takes 5 armor spheres for the first two levels, where-as before this was 1-2. Since Misc quests still reward only 1-2 the grind is going to be real. But Anja armor is the fire-proof armor and the next quest has a giant "BIG LAVA MONSTER TEN TIMES WORSE THAN THE LAST THING MAJOR QUEST AHEAD" sign on it so......

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 am 

Another complaint about the game's crafting system (as if I don't already have enough). I've gotten to the point where I can make the basic water-proof, electric-proof, and fire-proof armor.

"Proof" really means resistant here, so the defensive stats on the fire-proof armor is so much higher than the defensive stats on the other two to the point where I think it might actually be a better proposition to upgrade the fire armor and let the extra defense deal with the elemental attacks. Fire and Poison are the only really bad ones so far (really bad damage over time) vs the other ones which are minor ignorable status effects. <- Speaking of, I am now absolutely convinced that enemies just don't have a health bar and you have to guess, which sucks if you've been fighting for 10 minutes and the thing isn't limping with several body parts missing yet. Which can STILL be a 5+ minute phase at that point (T-Rex **** says hello), so yeah the bad feedback is real and real bad.

The RNG drops are starting to trigger me a bit. I still need another flame sac (reward table only) and in general need to kill this thing 4-5 more times just to get the parts to make the stuff (if I am lucky). Then I'll need to grind out... way too many armor spheres before I can move onto the next area. Hopefully quests start rewarding better armor spheres soon.

I have yet to obtain any combat skills that I didn't have before. I might be doing this correctly which would make me very sad.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 am 

This looks like a sextuple post but it's really two sets of triple posts with a massive time distance. I'm just talking to myself in an effort to give feedback for the one person who wanted to know how good the game is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:42 pm 

Did you guys checked this documentary?
its amazing!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm 

I think I'm at the point where if I ever get a closed beta key to Magic the Gathering: Arena, I'm just going to give it away to someone who would appreciate it. I don't know who or how, but I don't think I want in anymore.

..... That makes me really really sad.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:11 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:

Lol... so is that game any good? I looked at the previews, and immediately thought... ‘no way!’

Getting back to this now that I've played a lot more of it......

It's combat is a **** version of the combat found in Dark Souls. Which it inspired it seems, yet Monster Hunter has never seen it as a good idea to fix the major problems apparently a whole bunch of people have with it's combat. I mean literally it's Dark Souls combat except the lock-on is terrible, the hitboxes are jankier, and the player has less control and gets locked into animations they can't get out of. It's just worse Dark Souls combat. I mean.... literally it has the rolling and everything, and it's just never bothered to fix the problems with the combat because apparently the diehard fans of the series prefer it that way for some reason? I don't know it doesn't make sense to me.

The game itself is very pretty but it's not very big as far as Sandbox standards go. This is by no means a Bethesda level game. But it's big enough to have enough biomes to house enough monsters to keep it interesting for a while. And it's very pretty on PS4.

The gameplay loop is literally farm the **** out of one monster until you've made a good set of armor out of it's various body parts, use that new armor to start farming one level higher up the ladder, repeat ad infinum. Like.... there are elemental resistances and other factors at gameplay here but it's basically a game with little to no story that is just farm monsters to get better armor to farm harder monsters in a loop. And it's actually a grind after a certain point. You have to like grinding a bit to get the full experience out of this game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:14 pm 

And with that I think I am done? Unless someone else wants something, I'm going back to the depths of Reddit until Arena is a successful game I want to play or they scrap it for the next thing. There's not much reason to hang around right now until open beta starts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

Damn it. I forgot to put up my commercial break avatar.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

*Experiencing Technical Difficulties: Will Be Back After MTG Arena Is In Open Beta*

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:00 pm 

Awesome!!

We are now brothers!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:55 pm 

mjack is right, Monster Hunter World is really fun

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:23 pm 

mjack is right, Monster Hunter World is really fun

Yes, spending five hours trying to get a 2-5% drop to drop is the height of fun and entertainment. There is nothing extremely wrong with the game's progression at all. Everything is just A-Okay. This game is very casual and for everyone and not just for hardcore grinders.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:24 am 

I don't want to give a false image of the game being nothing but a grind, so here is how casual I think you can get away with:

Step 1: Spend an hour in the tutorial area picking the one weapon type you are going to use for the rest of the game. The moveset isn't going to change ever. Maybe f up a few missions and switch weapons until you find the one you are going to use for the rest of the game.

Step 2: Get used to wearing clown armor. Set bonuses are not going to be in your vocabulary. Grind out some improvements to or replacements for your clown armor whenever you hit a wall. Some armor pieces are going to be much easier to replace than others, so at least every once in a while you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and grind out a plate or three or something of similar quality.

Step 3: Play the game until you beat the main story. Stop playing once you hit a wall you don't want to grind over. The post game is all about grinding for stat increases until you are no longer willing to do so or you hit the peak. For the definition of "casual", I would not expect someone to "finish" the game by getting the best armor sets and weapons.

Played this way, the game is not too grindy. But if you want to keep multiple full armor sets going (aka a Fire resistant set, a poison resistant set, etc.) and/or multiple weapons types usefully upgraded, you are going to have a much grindier experience. This game is basically about grinding for stats, so the only way it's not going to be too grindy is if you grind for just enough stats and then don't go too far into the post-game.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next