It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:26 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
mjack33 wrote:
I think I'm at the point where if I ever get a closed beta key to Magic the Gathering: Arena, I'm just going to give it away to someone who would appreciate it. I don't know who or how, but I don't think I want in anymore.

..... That makes me really really sad.

Nah... You should play if you get one. Give credence to your thoughts on the econ.

New Arena Content Now! Streaming coming soon!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/
Shakey Deal Audio Page
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDealAudio1/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
mjack is right, Monster Hunter World is really fun

Yes, spending five hours trying to get a 2-5% drop to drop is the height of fun and entertainment. There is nothing extremely wrong with the game's progression at all. Everything is just A-Okay. This game is very casual and for everyone and not just for hardcore grinders.

You're not wrong, but I spent 160 hours with the game before I even got to the "grinding" part so I just walked away and feel I got way more than my money's worth.

EDIT: I think mjack is giving a slightly wrong impression of the game because I did not once feel like I "had" to grind anything at all. It's possible I just got super lucky with my drops or I'm just that good at the game (skill is WAY more important than the stats on your armor and weapons, by an order of magnitude)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:56 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
I think I'm at the point where if I ever get a closed beta key to Magic the Gathering: Arena, I'm just going to give it away to someone who would appreciate it. I don't know who or how, but I don't think I want in anymore.

..... That makes me really really sad.

Nah... You should play if you get one. Give credence to your thoughts on the econ.

I don't need to put my hand on the stove to know it's hot. It's very obvious the game is a miserable dumpster fire I have no interest in playing right now. I don't need to grind out a Ramunap Ruins deck to know what's going to happen, so the only thing playing the closed beta would do is give me some idea of the control scheme and a bunch of the hot-keys a bit earlier.

It's significantly better to give a beta key to someone who actually wants in on the ground floor of the next big F2P flop than to play a game I know I'm going to hate in its current state. They're going to wipe the game right before they go into open beta. I'll try it then if I think it's worth a shot.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:59 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
mjack is right, Monster Hunter World is really fun

Yes, spending five hours trying to get a 2-5% drop to drop is the height of fun and entertainment. There is nothing extremely wrong with the game's progression at all. Everything is just A-Okay. This game is very casual and for everyone and not just for hardcore grinders.

You're not wrong, but I spent 160 hours with the game before I even got to the "grinding" part so I just walked away and feel I got way more than my money's worth.

EDIT: I think mjack is giving a slightly wrong impression of the game because I did not once feel like I "had" to grind anything at all. It's possible I just got super lucky with my drops or I'm just that good at the game (skill is WAY more important than the stats on your armor and weapons, by an order of magnitude)

You are probably just that good at the game. Armor is what you really need to grind for, and that doesn't matter if you don't get hit. I just fundamentally don't get the clunky as sin control scheme well enough to avoid taking lots of hits while fighting any particular monster. I've killed the Anjanath 20 times just to get a plate to drop and I still find it to be a hard fight. Edit: Or I used to.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 am 

Oh, yeah, I'm way past the point where I thought Anjanath was hard. The only monsters I had trouble with were Kirin and a couple of the last three Elders.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:01 pm 

My problems with the combat are:
- the camera is bad
- you get locked into weapon animations
- hitboxes are weird

The combination of these things has made it very hard to get used to the combat. Maybe it's just the weapon type (dual blades) I ended up going with, but sometimes I just take hits because the camera is bad and I don't have a way to address that.

My other problem with the combat, which is secondary and would be much less of a problem if the first 3 weren't so bad, is that weapons get upgraded much slower than armor does (or seem to) for a lot of the game. Once you hit the 4th column, each adjacent column takes much longer.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 pm 

I think I am going to learn to use a bow and then make a bow of every elemental type just to save my sanity. Flying monsters are really pissing me off.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 pm 

Yeah Bows and Bowguns are definitely the "easy mode" weapons

Gunlance is great though, you can tank almost literally any attack and you do tons of damage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm 

Apparently long sword is the most used weapon on XBONE, Bagpipes are the least used weapon, dual blades are 3rd most used, and the dude never shows up when I bring my bow b/c I only use the bow for Rathians.

The bow is not an "easy mode" weapon. It's nowhere near as safe as the smaller blowgun, so you have to actually know what you are doing. It's just easier to dodge at 5 meters distance than point blank range, so I would agree it's an easier weapon. But there's definitely a hierarchy of how hard/easy weapons are to use.

The heavy blowgun feels clunky as all heck. It's one of those things where I'm aware it's a thing and I've tried to use it, but I feel like I just get better DPS from the bow with how my play-style works.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm 

My playstyle is currently running around hunting end-game level beasts in fully decked out Big Jagras Alpha Armor b/c I like Intimidator 3 and Speed Eater 3. I have fully decked out sets that are way better, but I literally just want the effects "small monsters leave you alone" and "you consume items much faster". The only thing it's weak to is fire, poison, and effluvian stuff; so I've got a Fire Resistance Charm II, Poison Resistance Charm II, Defense Charm II, and Effluvian Expert Charm I made.

I am most certainly doing it wrong, but what works works.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:30 pm 

A Quick Note On How Armor works in Monster Hunter World for perspective buyers: Edit: <- Should be prospective /edit

Every armor has a low rank set, and two high rank sets. The worst high rank set, of any armor type, is almost as good as the best low rank set, so until you reach "High Rank" I think it's only worth crafting a Big Jagras Set, than an Anja set, and then a 3rd set that is as good as the Anja set but with the opposite weaknesses as the Anja set. The Big Jagras set is good enough starter armor until you get an Anja set; and the Anja (and whatever equivalent you use that isn't weak to what Anja is weak to) set is good enough for the rest of low rank.

Once you get to High Rank, every set has an Alpha and a Beta set. Alpha is post game armor and Beta is super long-term end-game armor. The difference between the two is that Beta armor removes buffs from the Alpha set in exchange for letting you customize the armor with your own buffs. So Beta armor is "weaker" but not really. The reason the Beta armor is super end-game is that the effects you can equip on them come from items you can't buy or craft that you will randomly get, so it's a very long time between when you start High Rank and when you actually have the freedom to customize stuff exactly the way you want to.

In my opinion most of the Alpha sets are worth having, even though some have better pure stats than others, because of the effects you get on them. For example the armor set I'm using is one of the worst Alpha sets in terms of defense, but it's got two effects I find invaluable and I'm able to use my "Charm" (think a single Ring slot for Dark Souls fans) to make up for whatever problem I'm having.

-------------------

Weapons work completely differently. The reality is that you basically can't craft the 6th tier of weapons until you enter High Rank, but there aren't multiple types. So "Low Rank" armor sets get completely out-dated, while "Low Rank" weapons just unlock the ability to be upgraded further. And no weapon tree is strictly better than others; since you basically have a weapon for each element type, a weapon for each status type, and a weapon for high "affinity" or critical hit chance.

The 1st final boss is your first 6 star quest. The final final boss is the first 9 star quest and is when the credits actually roll. Beating the final boss unlocks something even higher than high rank monsters that I'm not going to spoil. The final final final quest is not related to the credits and unlocks once you've beaten all other quests and reached level 100 (which is such a ridiculous level that beating all other quests shouldn't be a barrier there). The road between beating the final boss and the final level 100 quest is where most people are going to quit tbh. Or they are going to quit as soon as they reach High Rank. No one who actually makes it through the first set of High Rank quests is going to give up imo before seeing all the high rank unique (as in they don't have Low Rank equivalents) monsters. There is a 5th area you don't unlock until you've reached mid high rank.

TLDR: Weapons are worth grinding out before beating the 1st final boss. Armor isn't. Pick a couple armor sets that are good enough that complement each other's weaknesses so you don't have a massive gaping hole where you are super weak to X, then wait until High Rank to actually grind out armor.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:54 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
True Story:
Still have 4th most posts.

Barney = #9

It’s not a proper off topic thread unless mjack has made 1,456 posts in a row

:fixed:

Some of you thought this was joking. :evil:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:14 pm 

Not me!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 pm 

Not me!

Yeah well your rice cooker is currently on fire so this is not representative of the average educated guess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:41 pm 

You know what is the most digusting and yet most delicious thing ever?

Bacon Flavored Peanut Brittle with just a thin Chocolate Coating on the Outside. Dipped in a deep fryer and served up with whipped cream and strawberries.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:43 pm 

Sounds awful

Also, it’s a steamer.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:52 pm 

Man...
After taking my couple years off I really lost "rank" on posting. mjack, you alone are a reason why they could probably sell ad revenue here.
Maybe not... Isn't it "unique" hits?

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm 

Man...
After taking my couple years off I really lost "rank" on posting. mjack, you alone are a reason why they could probably sell ad revenue here.

I had 10.8K+ posts before Innistrad block made it into Magic Duels. I've barely posted anything at all in the last year or so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Man...

I had 10.8K+ posts before Innistrad block made it into Magic Duels. I've barely posted anything at all in the last year or so.

I have neither more nor less than I should.
:evil:

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Man...

Mjack in the last week you’ve posted more than some people that have been around all year

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next