It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:15 pm 

AMONKHET & HOUR OF DEVASTATION
-DRAFTING LIKE A BOSS-

Alright, Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation are the sets to be drafted this week. On their respective release dates, Amonkhet was dominated by the super fast W/R aggro exert with lots of 1-2 drops, while Hour of devastation being a slower format ended up with G/X ramp dominating the late game with big creatures and value. This seems to be an interesting mix of sets that have very different beat and therefore the mix of them can be challenging to draft.

I recommend starting with both sunset reviews from Limited resources those shows really compress a lot of info on the sets right before the new set is released so they have the whole meta developed at the moment of recording, I leave you also one new addition to this compendium with Whats the pick with Huey where you can compare your choices and see how are you understanding the format, those two are very interesting to check and work your way from there.

THE BASICS
Understandig the signals
Beginners guide
Basic booster draft

HOUR OF DEVASTATION

Limited Resources
Commons and Uncommons
Ben Stark/ Block structure and Mechanics
Sun Set Show

Lords of Limited
Commons and Uncommons
HOU send off

ChannelFirebal
Cards that got better or worse with HOU
Whats the Pick P1P1
Whats the Pick P1P2

AMONKHET
Limited Resources
Commons and Uncommons
Ben Stark
Sun Set Show

ChannelFireball
15 guiding commons
Control on the draw

Compleat
Compleat
Happy draft!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:27 am 

Standard is getting really stale.

I'm currently basically only really playing draft and singleton constructed atm.
Just started a Hou draft with a GW deck (first pick majestic myriarch is just so funky) and a black splash for hapatra (I had my doubts about her, but I've got enough fixing and with the tapping zombie, she's already won me a game). I've gone 3-0 so far.

This particular format is ultra-fast, so be ready to be swarmed early. That means draft plenty of removal (I've got 3x sandblast) and plenty of combat tricks and play quite a few cheap early threats. Seems to work for me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:43 am 

This 2 HOU + 1 AKH leans to less aggressive starts in my experience, I went 4-3 with one Nicol Bolas build around deck with tons of removal and early blockers and I'm currently 3-1 with one RW exert deserts value pile. The format is quite different than DOM so it has been a bit difficult to change the mindset.

In HOU you got pretty decent blockers and lots of removal on the common slot so the RW deck needs to fly to end the game before your opponent stabilizes.
From what I have listened and read G is very good in HOU and has the tools to survive the first wave of the more aggressive decks but I havent draft the color yet.

On other news I always got one quick constructed, one competitive constructed and one draft every now and then so I´m not getting the Standard boredom, I think the worse environment is the ladder by a mile.

I build this RW pile

3-0 ATM :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 pm 

I went 7-0 with my deck, damn those Dauntless avens are bonkers. I drafted 2 or 3 and they won me most of my games, with lots of help from my sandblasts.

Like this post