It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:59 am 

The existence of cards that snowball means the coinflip decides way too many games. Examples:

Quote:

Oops, no haste creatures (takes 5 mana to play Glorybringer, and besides Glorybringer doesn't hit for 5). Means Chandra gets to tick twice, probably more. gg wp.

And then there're games like this one:

Quote:
T1: him Bomat Courier; me land, go
T2: him nothing, me Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
T3: him Goblin Chainwhirler, me Pia Nalaar
T4: him Goblin Chainwhirler, me concede

When I look at my quest progression after the game and see that I have cast exactly one spell to progress my quest, that's when I'm reminded how miserable the games are. I've literally made no decisions of consequence (unless one counts the mulligan decision, but I am not mulliganing hands with lands, 2 drop and 3 drop)! Right now this actually feels worse than Hearthstone. When I last played Hearthstone, most games would not be decided in four turns. Further, although there are individual powerful cards in Hearthstone, you can often 2-for-1 yourself to kill it. In the first game above I'd happily give two cards to get Chandra off the board, except there's no plausible way to even achieve that short of aiming two burn spells at her, since the opponent is likely to play blockers before I can attack.

Also idk but watching videos of the eternal formats, it sure feels like I would enjoy playing those more than Standard (this is even though e.g. getting T1'ed by B/R reanimator in Legacy isn't exactly fun either). There is more game to be played in those formats than in Standard.

Am I playing the wrong deck? Or is this a fundamental problem with Standard and I might as well stick to Limited?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:49 am 

Maybe it's so miserable because I'm playing QuickPlay. With sideboards, there'd be more game to play: you get two chances to break serve, and postboard games also involve more decisions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:48 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Met a similar the other day. I took out their Chandra with some Viashino action after they -2ed it to take out a Soul Wizard... forgetting the full name and they played another Chandra next turn.
Sigh

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Well, the mirror sucks for RDW and going first does decide alot. If you are running into alot of RDW (and you will), play a deck that counters it. That's why I'm running Selesnya Angels. It can outgrow RDW decently thanks to sweeps and mana bugs and has things like Cast Out to deal with resolved walkers.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:27 pm 

Met a similar the other day. I took out their Chandra with some Viashino action after they -2ed it to take out a Soul Wizard... forgetting the full name and they played another Chandra next turn.
Sigh

Yeah, sometimes you have that. I had a guy play Bolas (I removed), play Bolas (I removed), play Bolas (I removed with Cast Out), then bounce my Cast Out. And each time he came down, he hit a card in my hand, so by the end, he triggered and made me discard Cast Out.

Sometimes, your opponent just has a stupid amount of gas or a perfect curve and it's just a guaranteed L the moment the shuffler resolved.

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 am 

How do you even switch to Selenesya Angels? Doesn't that archetype need Resplendent Angels & Lyra Dawnbringers? I have no more rare or mythic wildcards left.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:00 am 

Just wait until October. The meta will shift something fierce.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 am 

Banedon wrote:
How do you even switch to Selenesya Angels? Doesn't that archetype need Resplendent Angels & Lyra Dawnbringers? I have no more rare or mythic wildcards left.

You'd probably go for something mono white since it cuts a fair amount of rares from the landbase. Either mono white knights&angels or mono white horse (the horse deck is probably the stronger of the two). But any way you cut it that's a big commitment in wildcards.

My advice would be to pick a deck you like the playstyle of (ideally one you already have some rares/mythics for) and aim for that. There's a fair amount of decks that can do ok at the moment - few control decks, few red decks, GPG, few versions of mono white, green stompy, mono black aggro, zombies. Will take a while to make a deck, but don't sweat it, just do some quests and some drafts, the cards will come. I tend to only play every 3 days or so, knock out the 3 quests and then do a draft session when I have some spare hours, there's no rush.

Take a look at: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper and see what cards you have already maybe. It's a decent starting point anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 am 

Awesome link! I wish I knew the difference between the events.

Why is Vraskas Contempt so expensive? It’s only a rare.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:04 am 

It's a rare you have to own to play a lot of :b: decks in standard. When it rotates out the price will plummet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:46 am 

I’m just amazed it’s more than good mythic Planeswalkers

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 am 

Banedon wrote:

I don't mean you need to run my deck, it's just an example. Mono green stompy should have good results versus RDW I think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:13 pm 

I thought you're locked into UW control the same way I'm locked into R/B aggro?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:25 pm 

I also thought that

Methinks Vert went all $$boys

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm 

I’m just amazed it’s more than good mythic Planeswalkers

Those don't go in every deck of their color, and some of them won't stick around for another 14 months. They also aren't all necessary 4-ofs.

Vraska's Contempt is a 4-of that every non-aggro :b: deck needs 4-of, and it's not rotating out until Autumn 2019 so it's even a "safe" buy. It's also the best counter to things like The Scarab God, which most of them thankfully rotate out in 2 months.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 pm 

Ah cool, thanks mjack for context

Look at you with the helpful post!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 pm 

I also thought that

Methinks Vert went all $$boys

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:39 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
divinevert wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I don't mean you need to run my deck, it's just an example. Mono green stompy should have good results versus RDW I think.

I believe that's what GoA is grinding with right now and today he complained about people conceeding against him and not being able to complete quests because of it. Sely Angels is a good way to go also. That's basically what my Singleton Angel deck is and even though the Singleton cut wouldn't stand up in standard it's a damn good theme to build on.
I need to do a mono green stompy myself. Forget how much I like that **** sometimes.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

To be frank, Standard is still feeling the aftereffects of the freak-out caused by Supreme Verdict.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:26 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
To be frank, Standard is still feeling the aftereffects of the freak-out caused by Supreme Verdict.

Man, Supreme Verdict was great

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next