It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:17 pm 

Banedon wrote:
Damn I forgot what Craig Wescoe wrote about sideboarding in the R/B mirror ... does anyone remember?

I only vaguely remember to bring in 3 Chandra's Defeat and sideboard out Soul-Scar Mage (I believe). Vaguely also remember bringing out Chandra & Cut//Ribbons for Abrade. Really can't remember completely though and the Facebook post he left with the guide has gone missing. Anyone?

Dunno what he said but I do this:
out
4 Bomats
2 Cut Ribbons

In
2 Magma
3 Chandra defeat
1 Glory bringer

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:43 pm 

His deck doesn't run Bomat though (which is sort of the point since it's built to be effective against other red decks). I did manage to find the sideboard plan though, which is:

-2 Kari Zev
-2 Pia Nalaar
-2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
-1 Cut//Ribbons

+3 Chandra's Defeat
+2 Hour of Glory
+1 Abrade
+1 Glorybringer

Wish he had written an explanation for these changes, since I'm curious why he's cutting these cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:27 pm 

I he clearly goes for a controlish approach and maybe he could even choose to draw coz he brings tons of removal, but I´m intrigued on why he chops Chandra? she looks solid on that strategy.

Pia: I think he chopped her coz the token dies to Chainwhirler and removing her makes you x/1 free /I swap one sometimes for Doomfall
Kari: she can't attack all that good and I think he rather have cheap removal over a blocker...
Cut: to slow and with Chandra´s defeat x/4 is solved
Chandra... I dunno

One extra Abrade looks solid too.
I like Hour of glory... but over Chandra!! Blasphemy!
Glory bringer is such a boss in the mirror I love this guy... I think I will miss him the most after rotation

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:40 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 am 

Well not quite, I was looking for his sideboard plan in the mirror. That was cut from the article for some reason. He did write it in a Facebook comment to that article, but I couldn't find it at the time. Now I know how he sideboards, but I don't know why.

@Cucho I'm guessing that removing Chandra is because 1) she doesn't generate card advantage the turn she comes down, 2) if she ticks down, she's within kill range of Chainwhirler, 3) she triggers the 2nd clause on the opponent's Chandra's Defeat. I honestly don't know though. Sideboarding in all these removal spells makes it seem like the control plan, in which case taking out planeswalkers doesn't seem very sensible either.

Also what makes you say Glorybringer is great in the mirror? The turn you play Glorybringer, you can exert on a Phoenix but then it just comes back. You can't exert on other Glorybringers or Heart of Kiran, and Hazoret is indestructible, which just leaves some lower-value creatures like Pia and Kari Zev if the opponent is keeping those in. I dunno. I've played a lot with the deck, still don't know how to sideboard.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:48 am 

He writes a few words about mirror switches before the big "Sideboarding" paragraph, but basically, his main deck already is the plan for the mirror.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:59 am 

He has 3 Chandra's Defeat in the sideboard, it would be insane not to bring them in.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 am 

Go to my Merfolk thread and help me with your R/B expertise there :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am 

Of course!!!... Chandra defeat... will defeat Chandra ... :V
Glory bringer can still clear the board for the alpha strike and can go 2x1 a fair amount of times, the dragon is solid Vs a creature heavy deck I only swap it vs Keld decks.
I like the edge of the deck vs the mirror, but I see lots of control in competitive constructed and Bomat is huge there, how do you hold against control G1?

I have returned to this deck to grind gold in Competitive BO3 and I remember now why this IS the TOP DOG.
I also downloaded an app that syncs with the arena client, it gives you some stats on win rates for your decks and a couple more features that has come in handy
I leave it here if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Cucho Lambreta on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 am 

I have returned to this deck to grind gold in Competitive BO3 and I remember now why this IS the TOP DOG.
I also downloaded an app that syncs with the arena client, it gives you some stats on win rates for your decks and a couple more features that has come in handy

Interested yes but I'm always hesitant with 3rd-party software.
a) It's often against the ToS of the game itself and
b) I don't blindly trust anyone who writes a tool ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm 

hmmm you are probably right...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
hmmm you are probably right...

I'll test it for you. My computer is there for no reason besides gaming basically.

EDIT: It's obviously got a bug though, because after installing it I'm like 3-6 and pulling my hair out over here with flood.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:30 pm 

Deck I have been having the most fun with has been the Artifact-Paradox deck. Learning and tuning the deck took me from Silver 2 to almost bronze (Like, 1 loss away) The final version looks like mostly like the versions I have played, but had to test out ideas. Anyway, back up 1 1/2 ranks with it, and will try in BO# Constructed soon. You get games where they think they have won....and then you just....win. It is the deck I have had the most people quit when I started 'going off' even though I don't think I had the tools to actually win at the time.

One deck that I ran into 5 games out of 9 to finish the night last night was B/G Snek deck. Normally I don't fear those decks, but it wrecked me 3 out of 5 games. Not sure if it was the matchup, bad luck, my play or just the deck is that good. One of my wins could have been a loss if my opponent played a bit smarter, so the deck seemed popular and pretty good to me.

Vert, I hit that same 3-6 streak last night, so I sympathize. Love to hear if that program is any good.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:01 pm 

Wintervoid wrote:
Deck I have been having the most fun with has been the Artifact-Paradox deck. Learning and tuning the deck took me from Silver 2 to almost bronze (Like, 1 loss away) The final version looks like mostly like the versions I have played, but had to test out ideas. Anyway, back up 1 1/2 ranks with it, and will try in BO# Constructed soon. You get games where they think they have won....and then you just....win. It is the deck I have had the most people quit when I started 'going off' even though I don't think I had the tools to actually win at the time.

One deck that I ran into 5 games out of 9 to finish the night last night was B/G Snek deck. Normally I don't fear those decks, but it wrecked me 3 out of 5 games. Not sure if it was the matchup, bad luck, my play or just the deck is that good. One of my wins could have been a loss if my opponent played a bit smarter, so the deck seemed popular and pretty good to me.

Vert, I hit that same 3-6 streak last night, so I sympathize. Love to hear if that program is any good.

It's pretty good. Tracks wins and losses, including opponent's name, and has a card tracker so you know how many cards are left in deck and which ones, etc. Similar to Gwent's tracking.

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:37 pm 

Does it track win/loss by Deck name? I assume that includes if you make edits to the deck later? I may actually have to name more decks if so. Otherwise, "Deck 1" will have a horrible record.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 pm 

It also records your drafts ;)
So you can check your picks and figure out where it all went wrong :P
Wintervoid wrote:
Does it track win/loss by Deck name? I assume that includes if you make edits to the deck later? I may actually have to name more decks if so. Otherwise, "Deck 1" will have a horrible record.

It does, currently Devil´s wizards have an 83% win rate

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm 

It also records your drafts ;)
So you can check your picks and figure out where it all went wrong :P
Wintervoid wrote:

It does, currently Devil´s wizards have an 83% win rate

I notice it goes wonky with Glimmer of Genius. Like, it reads the scry as a draw, and the draw as a second draw, so it said I had 29 cards left in deck when I had 33 left after casting Glimmer twice.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:53 pm 

Of course!!!... Chandra defeat... will defeat Chandra ... :V
Glory bringer can still clear the board for the alpha strike and can go 2x1 a fair amount of times, the dragon is solid Vs a creature heavy deck I only swap it vs Keld decks.
I like the edge of the deck vs the mirror, but I see lots of control in competitive constructed and Bomat is huge there, how do you hold against control G1?

The deck gives up percentage points vs. control to more reliably beat other red decks, so G1 vs. control is quite bad. My win rate might be ~30% (fortunately they sometimes lose to themselves also, or they just don't draw the right answers to my threats).

I've recently tried another, even more drastic version of this plan: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.a ... e=9-7-2018. Cursorily this deck is quite strong, for example it runs 26 lands which I find appealing since I often had mana issues with 25. It also has cards like Vraska's Contempt, which I've found to be very useful, as well as a very powerful sideboard against control decks. As I wrote there's nothing quite like playing against someone who jams Authority of the Consuls on turn 2, and then dies to planeswalkers! Angrath is very deadly against control decks as well.

Seth didn't write a sideboard guide though. The anti-control plan is quite obvious, but I genuinely wonder how he does it against other red decks, green decks, etc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Went 5-0, 5-1 with the anti-red red deck over two leagues! The only lost match was to a very fast mono-red deck where we both won the games on the play. It was kind of a pity that I didn't win the third game though, I was mana screwed on 2 lands. I think I'd have had a great chance otherwise (especially since opponent was keeping in Earthshaker Khenras and Bomat Couriers - go figure).

I think this kind of sideboarding plan is normal for all R/B decks. These are cards to take out and cards to put in, not for any particular list:

vs. UW control or Esper:

- all Magma Sprays
- all Abrade
- all Cut//Ribbons
- Soul Scar Mage (terrible threat)
- Pia Nalaar (not much better)
- Unlicensed Disintegration (you are substituting Doomfall vs. potential sideboard Lyras etc)
+ all Duress
+ Arguel's Blood Fast
+ Sorcerous Spyglass
+ all Doomfall
+ Angrath
+ Karn
+ Chandra
+ Vraska's Contempt
+ The Eldest Reborn

If you have enough anti-control cards then you can fight the control war against them. Not having Bomat Courier hurts but cest la vie. If you need more slots then take out Kari Zev (or one Kari Zev and one Pia since they're legendary).

If you don't have enough anti-control cards to bring in against a heavy control deck like UW Approach then take out top-end (especially Phoenix) and keep all your cheap creatures. You win with Bomat Courier, early pressure, and Chandra.

vs. UB
They're almost a control deck, so similar to the plan against UW, except keep Magma Sprays if they're keeping in Glint-Sleeve Siphoners and Champion of Wits for whatever reason. Spyglass is ineffective. Phoenix and Glorybringer are much more effective against them than UW. Exile removal is important to deal with The Scarab God.

vs. R/B:

- Bomat Courier (if running these)
- all Chandra (vulnerable to Chandra's Defeat, can't tick down without feeding Goblin Chainwhirler, not effective vs. Phoenix)
- Pia Nalaar (thopter dies to Chainwhirler, not an effective blocker)
- Kari Zev (she can't attack into much, or if she does she only does 1 damage; she can't block either)
- Cut//Ribbons
+ Chandra's Defeat
+ Karn
+ Doomfall / Hour of Glory or other exile removal like Vraska's Contempt
+ The Eldest Reborn

You board into control and try to win with superior top-end like Karn. It's debatable that Glorybringer should get the cut for the same reason too but you can conceivably land it when opponent is tapped out + exert for immediate effect. Doomfall can potentially answer Phoenix & Hazoret, The Eldest Reborn should be huge if it resolves.

vs. green:

- Pia Nalaar (she's only good for chump blocking)
- Kari Zev (can't attack into anything, blocks the 1-2 drops but do you care?)
- Abrade vs. Thorn Lieutenant, keep if they have Servant of the Conduit instead or if they show Aethersphere Harvester / Heart of Kiran
- Bomat Courier (you'll never be able to charge enough cards for this to be worth it, plus they won't be racing and it can't attack into many of their creatures)
- Hazoret
+ Chandra / Glorybringer / Phoenix if you have them (monogreen is very weak to flyers and 4-damage removal)
+ Magma Spray if you have them (kills Llanowar Elves, and Scrounger if they're running that)
+ Cut//Ribbons
+ Unlicensed Disintegration, Hour of Glory, Vraska's Contempt and any other kind of unconditional removal

You board into control, kill all their stuff, and prevent them from landing a Ghalta. Hazoret is kind of wonky. It's not better than Rekindling Phoenix at blocking their stuff, and Phoenix is a better attacker as well (Hazoret for example can't get past Rhonas and Ghalta).

vs. fog:

- Glorybringer (keep if you have nothing else to bring in, since it's better than Phoenix)
- Hazoret
- Rekindling Phoenix
- Magma Spray, Abrade, Cut//Ribbons
+ everything that can generate value without involving the combat step
+ all hand disruption

Expensive creatures are largely irrelevant since they'll probably get fogged anyway. If you must keep some then keep Glorybringer since it has haste. Bring in anything that can interact with his game plan. Keep Unlicensed Disintegration since they answer a Carnage Tyrant or Lyra, although of course if you're running Doomfall then you're in luck since that is flexible enough to hit their hand also. Name Teferi or Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin with Sorcerous Spyglass.

vs. monored:

- Glorybringer
- Chandra
- Bomat Courier
+ Chandra's Defeat
+ all cheap removal
+ Duress (only against The Flame of Keld versions, can't have too many of these either since they're tempo-negative)
+ Exile removal (only a few copies as a hedge, unless you are sure they don't have Hazoret or Phoenix)

Lower your curve, remove all their stuff. Play/draw is important, don't keep proactive hands on the draw and mulligan to removal instead.

If anyone has different opinions on how to board please share :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 am 

Why do you even keep pia? I cut her for more 4 drops. She was terrible every game I draw her.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next