It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 am 

Banedon wrote:
Yeah I think I'll get the mono-blue Obsession deck. It'll cost 3 precious rare wildcards, but **** quickplay.

Mono blue Obsession is a smart move to grind... the deck has 4 rares and the rest is all uncommon and commons and is fairly good in competitive environments, good call!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 am 

AD2016 wrote:
I don't think that's the MM tbh, I run two decks with almost nothing spent on them (one is RG monsters built from the precons+some cards I got from singleton, the other is BG stuff which has a Vraska I crafted) and I get all sorts of matchups - control with 4 teferi, GW tokens with all rares etc. It's why I started running RG, just so I could curve out on people and throw monstrosaurs at them backed up by reach, it's been surprisingly effective and doesn't insta lose to Clarion, though it's obviously not going into a lot of these games favoured.

Nah, the matchmaking in Free Play is rigged, I think that's a pretty safe claim to make at this point. If that helps my argument, CGB said that, too, on one of his vids.

I guess the system attributes your deck with an abstract power ranking of for example 3,427 based on some algorithm.

Now there are two problems:
1) Two decks with a perceived power of 3,427 can have massively different actual power
2) The system matches you versus decks in a very narrow corridor of rankings. Like +/- 5

At least, that's my understanding of the model and how I can explain that my old Selesnya got matched vs Izzet and Izzet and Izzet. And then some more Izzet. It wasn't the meta of that day for another deck got vastly different opponents. And more varied opponents, like you.. so there are some "scores" where there are more different decks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm 

Let's bring pauper to free play?;-)

I play free play just once to test a new deck and then so the 500g bo1. 99% of time it nets you a rare and cash back.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:29 pm 

The monoblue deck has been ... not very fast, but it's also 4-1 for me right now with the only lost game because I completely forgot Siren Stormtamer can counter Rabid Bite. RIP, it was my 2nd ever game with the deck.

I think Sol77's read on the algorithm is accurate. Yes Demanding Dragon is a lot better than Vigilant Baloth, but it's no match for Lyra Dawnbringer. And yeah, I was running a deck with lots of rares and mythics, but it's not really a top-tier strategy. It's just a stupid ramp deck! The focused R/W angels deck that I was queuing into would wipe me out no problem, even if the "power ranking" is similar.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:20 pm 

Just had the game of the day, on the play vs Dimir, dropped t1, Pelt Collector, t2 Pelt Collector, IN HAND: 2x Forest and 2x Nullhide Ferox. Opponent casts Thought Erasure and has to pick Ferox which goes to the board, Turn3 swing for 10 :D

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9