It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:03 am 

What is the fastest way to build up your collection for F2P players? Take part in draft events? Buy packs?

Which expansion should new player get first? Or which expansion has generally better rated cards than the rest?

What I am doing
- reset daily quest if it’s a 500G one
- get all 15 free decks first before using wildcards and committing to a deck
- try to win 15 times a day for daily rewards

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 am 

Zen wrote:

get all 15 free decks first

10 decks

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 am 

Dominaria an guilds of ravnica are the strongest sets, but you really should just choose a deck that's good , consistent and you won't get sick of very quickly and stick with it until it's complete and work from there.
From my current experience, mono green, white and red are valid starting points that don't need rare lands. But, you should really go with what you enjoy playing.

Hope that helps.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 am 

Are you familiar with Magic? Do you have preferences what you like to play?

If so, unfortunately, I must advise you to make multiple accounts and check on day 2 on which track of precons you are. See the other posts from today. This has nothing to do with me being salty but is what I would've done had I known about this.

Aside from that, better hold onto your resources for now. We have kind of established that Draft (of a good set!) is better value than Sealed, but it may well be that buying packs directly is better collection progress for your Constructed ambitions. Thing is, you get to keep more cards from a Draft, but can't get wildcards. Also, when you get a redundant card (5th copy of any card), it currently only registers as a tiny progress on an invisible bar called "the Vault". That system will change. We don't know when and how and they claim, it won't be detrimental to people who already got Vault progress, but.. WotC..

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:22 am 

Thanks for the replies.

I thot there were 15 NPE decks, http://magicarena.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Decks. Not. Really sure what I would like to play hence the question on which is the strongest set. Will concentrate on getting Ravnica and Dominaria.

Just to be sure, there is no “friend” related feature ingame right? Like choosing who you can play with etc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:53 am 

Not yet, but they're supposed to be working on it and should be one of the next features to be implemented.

As a grind deck, playing aggro usually means shorter games, therefore you can play more and hopefully get your rewards faster. Aggro decks also tend to be less rare/mythic intensive than control or mid-range, so I guess that's the best starting point.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:48 pm 

Identity: American Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Not a SJW...you have been warned.
Agree with Haven about going mono color for aggro to begin with before branching out to dual or tri color decks.

After looking at the cards and playing a while, Mono-White and Mono-Red are probably the least taxing as far as Wildcards to build to make a pretty decent deck. I really like Mono-Green but it really needs 8-12 rares IMO and that can be hard to get early. Mono-Blue Flyers is supposed to be a fairly good deck but I have seen it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

I would advise going Mono color aggro to grind too, check those starter decks for bombs and work from there... also CGB has an F2P account, he is a good player and provides solid content I would definitively check that out.

This is the first episode of the open beta.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
I agree on mono.
I took the mono white precon and tweaked it a bit for not that much expense. It's a good grinder that is slowly becoming better and better and most of what I'm picking up for it is usefull in other decks I'll end up building. Sele seems really good with the addition of GNR.
Strangest thing. My draft the other night. Drafted a Selesnya deck and my first opponent had a damn near mirror image of what I was running.
Weird.
Anyway, here's my current take on the Tactical Advantage deck.

2 x Leonin Warleader
1 x Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
1 x Herald of Faith
2 x Daybreak Chaplain
2 x Knight's Pledge
2 x Loxodon Line Breaker
2 x Pegasus Courser
1 x Serra Angel
2 x Silverbeak Griffin
3 x Luminous Bonds
3 x Oreskos Swiftclaw
24 x Plains
2 x Blade Instructor
2 x Resplendent Angel
2 x Conclave Tribunal
2 x Healer's Hawk
2 x Shalai, Voice of Plenty
3 x Ajani's Pridemate
2 x Inspiring Cleric

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:
Dominaria an guilds of ravnica are the strongest sets, but you really should just choose a deck that's good , consistent and you won't get sick of very quickly and stick with it until it's complete and work from there.
From my current experience, mono green, white and red are valid starting points that don't need rare lands. But, you should really go with what you enjoy playing.

Hope that helps.

Dominaria and Guilds of Ravnica? That makes me wonder if I should hold off on starting another quick draft till the format rotates to those?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:33 pm 

Identity: American Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Not a SJW...you have been warned.
Banedon wrote:
Haven_pt wrote:

Hope that helps.

Dominaria and Guilds of Ravnica? That makes me wonder if I should hold off on starting another quick draft till the format rotates to those?

You could, but there are some staples out of M19 that you can get by drafting. Totally up to you but it isn't a waste IMO of you were looking to draft anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm 

When does the draft format rotate? During closed beta it was once a week, so I assume it's still once a week (so this weekend)?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 am 

I am working through the daily unlock of the 5 dual coloured decks. I unlocked the dimir “walk the plank” deck. They want you to play it as the cast 40 blue / black spells to earn the booster pack for core 2019. It was stupidly good and did not lose a single game. The removal is very good with 2 x murder and 2 x Chupacabra. The tempo cards in exclusion mage and hostage taker can really put you in the driving seat. It also has a decent set of flyers. That together with making good use of the raid mechanic and as I did not even make any tweaks it seems a solid base.

As for decks to grind I opted initially for the mono blue (again no upgrades) initially. It did pretty well to begin with but started stalling in particular when facing other 2 colour starter decks. I built my own golgari deck as the first custom deck so did not use the award golgari deck which has the token, sacrifice theme. Currently still sitting on the 1 mythic and 2 rares and with the last 2 decks to unlock at least the initial decks and cards together with the 3 or so packs earned during Singleton free weekend and the packs from the welcome bundle plus I think the one or two gold purchases (but still sitting on around 5K gold currently) I have been pleasantly surprised about the starting tools you get to within the first week.

The long and the short of it is it allows you to play a variety of reasonably competitive decks and thus have some great matches (win or lose). I got out of the ‘must win’ mindset and before leaving off last time the preponderance of mono red aggro (I ran my own of course) but the good thing is at least in the early days the decks you can win just for playing, taking advantage of the daily quests (something I did not really focus on when playing before) and investing in the ‘welcome bundle’ at a decent price (circa just under £5 UK) the game is the best digital magic offering from wizards to date. For sure I’d recommend the CGB channel too for new players and the related discord channel CGB has. SD

quo plus habent,
eo plus cupiunt.

Check Out my You Tube Channel - Cube Draft and Random versus for AER. NGA iOS KOH matches. iOS Trials of the Elder Dragon tournament videos. MtG Arena Undercity Coliseum Tournament videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC29hO5 ... 71kNpJmjKg

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 am 

Banedon wrote:
When does the draft format rotate? During closed beta it was once a week, so I assume it's still once a week (so this weekend)?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:36 pm 

dont know which route to choose, 3 RWC Mono blue tempo or 8 RWC monored flame

Like this post