It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 pm 

So, I haven't seen Aggro Mammoth anywhere, but with Ferox and the GGGreen Knight not having trample, what do you guys think of Aggressive Mammoth in Green Stompy. It's still an 8/8 trampler for 6 on it's own. With all the tokens running around, Knight is kinda useful as it can't be blocked by power 2 or lower, but Ferox gets blocked into oblivion. the only reliable way to push through is Ghalta, which usually eats some removal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:55 pm 

I think it's too expensive and doesn't do enough to justify the cost. Might work now while a lot of people are still using starter decks, but long term the goal for green stompy is to reduce the curve as much as possible while still throwing out huge creatures, top the curve at Ferrox+Ghalta and have all the rest be 1,2 and 3 drops seems a much better way to pressure than having potential openers full of 4, 6 and 12 drops.

I'm pretty sure you could run a good version of stompy without Ferrox - just topping at 3 mana+ghalta - though the loss of Blossoming Defence does make the Ferrox look more useful.

Edit - I'd be really happy to run something like:

4 x Llanowar Elves
4 x Pelt Collector
4 x Kraul Harpooner
4 x Thorn Lieutenant
4 x Steel Leaf Champion
4 x Thrashing Brontodon
3 x Ghalta, Primal Hunger
2 x Nullhide Ferox

2 x Vivien Reid

3 x Assassin's Trophy
2 x Status // Statue

Ugh, forgot how to format these, is there a way to just import from arena and then have it show up with links?

Last edited by AD2016 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm 

The problem with these creatures is that they don't generate immediate value the turn they come down. Aggressive Mammoth isn't completely un-impactful since it does give your other creatures trample, but if you already have a big creature in play before you cast Aggressive Mammoth, you're probably winning anyway. Meanwhile you could play against cards like Murder or Justice Strike or Essence Scatter, and you'll just take a massive tempo hit and die. It doesn't have lifelink either so you don't auto-win against an aggro deck if it's not removed. I'm playing one in my Gruul deck right now, but that's because I don't have enough good cards.

Having said that it does seem that at high levels where decks are more refined, there aren't many spells that outright kill an 8/8. Justice Strike and Conclave Tribunal are the only common ones. I'd still be skeptical of maindecking it, but having it in the sideboard for the tokens matchup is plausible (although still, why not just run Steel Leaf Champion or Ghalta, both of which can't be easily chumped either?).

EDIT: Ok there's also Ixalan's Binding. Not a good sign - the more removal spells there are that can deal with it, the less viable it's going to be.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:41 am 

Well, the situation you're describing already sounds kind of desperate.

However, the best card I can think of right now to get you out of that mess would be Declare Dominance. The idea is to turn a small creature into Taunting Elf so you can alpha-strike with everything else. If you can't alpha with that, the Mammoth wouldn't help either imo.

Also, if you can't alpha with that, you might also combo Ghalta with Declare Dominance and Status // Statue to trade him vs the best 16 creatures of your opponent. If that doesn't turn the game around, what were you still doing in it anyway? ;)

Small downside is that you need more mana when Ferox is in play for you'd have to deactivate him first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 am 

Identity: American Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Not a SJW...you have been warned.
If you want to give your guys trample, why not just use a few copies of Goreclaw?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 am 

That's also an interesting option. For now the mammoth has performed very well vs the go-wide decks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:28 pm 

I played the heck out of stompy to start this format. Ochran assassin was just as good as trample. I ended up with find//finality as a more versatile option, but thats with the black splash. I played 3 assassin's trophy and 2 finality with 32 creatures, including 4 nullhide ferox.

Like this post