It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 pm 

I hate Teferi. "We need to move quickly"

The bugger lands with 4 loyalty and generally ticks up to 5, which is quite high. "Stop that"

His tick-up is quite strong. Drawing a card is not that impressive and other planeswalkers do it too, but he untaps two lands. That allows him to threaten Seal Away or Essence Scatter or what not, not to mention untap Azcanta the Sunken Ruin. "Don't make another move"

Meanwhile you had better not have a single big threat in play only, because otherwise his minus deals with it. Oh, and it serves as its own win condition since Teferi can tuck himself away and deck the opponent. "Time for plan B"

Oh and his emblem is unbeatable. "You know what? I'm not done yet"

Unless I have a very powerful board position, Teferi resolving is like seeing the impending loss on the horizon. **** this guy and his guts. I HATE YOU TEFERI. Every time I kill you is like my happiest moment in the match.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:59 pm 

LOL, we are two and the guy is such a hypocrite -Pick up the pace!- tell that to your controller coz he is taking ages every turn!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 am 

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:41 am 

Yes, he is obnoxious, but tbh, I remember seeing him all of once in open beta.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:01 am 

Haven_pt wrote:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

What the hell, I mean he's one of the most powerful cards in standard and I have a copy of him, but seriously?!

What deck has a naturally good matchup vs. Teferi decks? I feel like this would be a good deck to home in on, I hate Teferi so much. Previous meta R/B decks is disfavoured game 1 and sideboards in Duress Doomfall etc to win game 2 & 3, but what about the present one? Is there any deck favoured in game 1 also?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:50 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Hate here also. I purposely did not run it at all during any of the beta

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 am 

Dimir campaign should be pretty solid vs UW, mono red also seems like a strong choice. BG explore looks obnoxious to fight as any deck, while the eldest loop golgari deck has like 8+ answers to teferi and recursion. Still need to play around counters mind.

I'm really expecting people to be complaining more about bg explore than teferi soon, that much value and lifegain is unreal :D (nah, people will still complain about Teferi, it's frustrating to play against)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 am 

Yeah, BG Explore is obnoxious. Explore + Undergrowth and the ability to get everything back is just sick.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Traditionally, the best decks against control - optimally positioned to beat them - are Aggro Control decks. Try something with a lot of high power 1 and 2 drops that seeks to get in under Teferi, and then uses either counters, or removal to control the board.

I’d be looking hard at BG.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 am 

DJ0045 wrote:
Traditionally, the best decks against control - optimally positioned to beat them - are Aggro Control decks. Try something with a lot of high power 1 and 2 drops that seeks to get in under Teferi, and then uses either counters, or removal to control the board.

Playing Jeskai Telfari, that is exactly my experience. Blue fliers is a nightmare, especially on the draw. Other control decks are a problem, especially if they run more counters. Plus the games are just boring. Dimir can be a problem with discard and counters, but the cards I hate the most in that deck are Plaguecrafter and Eldest Reborn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 am 

I went and put together an amorous flyers/winds deck (inspired by kryder's success with mono-white flyers) that is aggroish control (the mana base is janky as hell), but it went 4-0 so far on the best-of-1 ladder.
Being in teferi colours, I kind of just threw in 2 copies just because...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Wintervoid wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:

Playing Jeskai Telfari, that is exactly my experience. Blue fliers is a nightmare, especially on the draw. Other control decks are a problem, especially if they run more counters. Plus the games are just boring. Dimir can be a problem with discard and counters, but the cards I hate the most in that deck are Plaguecrafter and Eldest Reborn.

Yeah, Blue Fliers is definitely the bane of my Esper Control deck's existence. It only needs one or two relevant threats, which always has the stupid Curiosity, which is then protected by Spell Pierce and Negate until it pings me to death.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:41 pm 

Alternatively... the worst thing to play against a Teferi deck is combo, or some kind of slow midrange deck. (Just thought I’d mention it)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:32 pm 

Well then I’d like to just mention... that I love you

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
Alternatively... the worst thing to play against a Teferi deck is combo, or some kind of slow midrange deck. (Just thought I’d mention it)

I've won many games vs Teferi control with the Primal Amulet / Nexus combo. With them having Teferi/Azcanta/Nezahal/you name it on the board, just not getting any turns to do anything. They usually fall when tapping out for card draw/Chromium/whatever at the end of my turn with me responding with Nexus. Also, they may go into a counter war over some meaningless stuff like Teferi or Ral, and maybe even win, but getting tapped out and/or low on counters, and I punish them during my turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:03 pm 

I can’t fix bad players. /shrug

In any case, just because you should normally be at a disadvantage doesn’t mean you can’t possibly win, especially if they make a mistake, or aren’t familiar with your deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 pm 

Yondar wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:

I've won many games vs Teferi control with the Primal Amulet / Nexus combo. With them having Teferi/Azcanta/Nezahal/you name it on the board, just not getting any turns to do anything. They usually fall when tapping out for card draw/Chromium/whatever at the end of my turn with me responding with Nexus. Also, they may go into a counter war over some meaningless stuff like Teferi or Ral, and maybe even win, but getting tapped out and/or low on counters, and I punish them during my turn.

That sounds like B01... B03 is hard to pull those kinda of strategies... I played today vs a funky fountain of renewal combo... game one I was -whoa! that's cool... game two I broke all his defenses, coz I knew how the deck worked...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:14 pm 

Î just lost 30 minutes of my life to this moron (I mean Teferi, not trashing any person).. got him through his entire deck, he was only shuffling Teferi back into the library each turn and racing my 3 tokens with his only creature, the 4/3 flyer. I lost due to 3 consecutive lands in the end..

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm 

Sol77_bla wrote:
Î just lost 30 minutes of my life to this moron (I mean Teferi, not trashing any person).. got him through his entire deck, he was only shuffling Teferi back into the library each turn and racing my 3 tokens with his only creature, the 4/3 flyer. I lost due to 3 consecutive lands in the end..

"We need to move quickly" bro

Part of the reason I picked monoblue was because divinevert said it has a good matchup vs. Teferi, hope he's right :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 am 

Can confirm monoblue does well against Teferi decks if it draws Curious Obsession. If it doesn't, then it's much closer and likely disfavoured, since it's just a collection of small beaters, which gives the Teferi deck a lot of time to draw answers. The monoblue deck can counter Search for Azcanta, but Chemister's Insight has jump-start. Since the monoblue deck can't afford to run Negate, eventually the Teferi deck goes out of Spell Pierce range and win with sweepers etc. If the monoblue deck is running Essence Scatter, those are also dead in the matchup generally until it's too late to matter.

Things flip completely if the monoblue deck draws Curious Obsession and is able to cast it safely. Once that happens it has lots of ways to defend the enchanted creature, and drawing two cards a turn allows it to overpower the Teferi deck easily.

Like this post