It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [JANK] Mirari Hailfire
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 am 

Disclaimer: Jank ahead.

So, I have 1xTorment of Hailfire in my Esper deck, and it's hilarious. Obviously it only works when you've already won but that's true of all win conditions in that kind of deck. And by "all" I mean "both".

Anyway, I was looking at The Mirari Conjecture and it kept flashing "Hailfire x10 on turn 7" at me, which is brutal enough unless your adversary has a board full of treasure tokens, but doesn't quite qualify as inevitability.

So I thought, Geistramp baby.

My first Idea was Sultai with ramp+fog effects (yes, the jank is strong in me) but I think the, um, best way to go is Grixis with treasure makers.

So yeah, if anyone has any insights into how on earth this could ever possibly work, I'm all ears. Eyes.

4 x Opt
3 x Treasure Map
3 x Pirate's Pillage
4 x Negate
3 x Consign // Oblivion
3 x Doomfall
3 x sweltering Suns
3 x Bontu's Last Reckoning
1 x Brass's Bounty
1 x Spell Swindle
3 x The Mirari Conjecture
4 x Torment of Hailfire

+25 lands

Last edited by Vavardo on Mon May 28, 2018 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:44 am 

Why do I have only one post, did the Duels forum get wiped or sumthin

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Hmmm I don’t think so... did you use to post often?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:10 am 

I did at some point. I'm thinking I might have had another account.

No idea what I would have called it tho lol

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 pm 

Ok, I faced one Dimir build of this deck on the ladder, It was a long game I was playing my Scarab God deck - I got 2 more copies of Champions of the wits on the draft so I now own a full playset of those funky girls... that card is nuts!- I lost in a marathon match, this guy played that absurd enchantment the full 4 times... he played lots, I mean lots of hand attack spells, at least 3 duress and 3 doomfalls -once a double duress- It was a close match I got him at 5-6 but just when I had lethal he cast a double Vraska contempt that saved his ass while killing my Champ and Lily.
I think that the hand attack was huge, I guess you could swap a couple of sweepers for duress. Also with that amount of Maps you should run Karn, if you don't have him you should save your next MWC for him he can poop 4/4´s with a flipped map. :V

I would probably loose red on this one and run just 2 copies of Hailfire -it is a dead card most of the game- and cast it only after peaking your opponent hand.

If you are splashing why not green for that guy that can cast things from the GY?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:44 am 

The idea of red was to ramp my hailfires with treasure. If by turn 4-5 you can cast it, retrieve it from the GY, recast it doubled, rinse and repeat it becomes your hand attack, removal and face damage all-in-one package, instead of just being that big blow-out card you patiently wait to cast. The thing with this card is that even when you cast it for a full hand and board wipe + kill, people will blow their extra timers pondering what to do. Casting it for 3-4 a couple times must wreck someone's strategy :D

But yeah that's probably never going to work.

Also I think the wipes are needed because a good aggro player will just take all the damage to the face and finish you first.

I guess that card is condemned to be a 1-of win condition in a normal control deck :(

Thanks for the suggestions, I will at least try it in a hand hate deck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:55 pm 

I've seen some mirari-burn with fire decks and they can work with some help from jaya.
I actually like the idea of reusing sweepers and removal, but maybe izzet or grixis is the way to go...
I've tinkered with torment of hailfire in rakdos and mono-black control decks, and it's been kind of bad (but fun) or win-moar. It just sucks too much early on, you really don't want to draw it when your scrambling to remove all the threats from the board. Torment of Scarabs has been interesting though (and complements hailfire), although it's less crushing in practise than it seems in theory, it will however get opponent's life down to a kill range, if you've got some big damage spells.
Bontu’s reckoning is very risky, because a while turn without mana is usually enough to let crucial cards through.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:53 am 

Well the whole point of ramping and doubling it is to make it useful earlier innit :D
But yeah it's clearly jank. It works in Esper because the entire point of the deck is to get to a situation where Hailfire is fatal.

Anyway, here I am pondering improbable ways to cast Torment of Hailfire for X=12 on an empty board by turn 6, and I totally overlooked Primal Amulet.

So blue is out and this is somewhat closer to the mark:

2 x Treasure Map
3 x Primal Amulet

4 x Lightning Strike
2 x Magma Spray
2 x Cast Down
2 x Vraska's Contempt

3 x Sweltering Suns
1 x Bontu's Last Reckoning

4 x Duress
3 x Doomfall

2 x Painful Lesson
2 x Pirate's Pillage

2 x Jaya Ballard

3 x Torment of Hailfire

some adjusted version of this might even win a couple games

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:01 pm 

Identity: ichthyophile
You're looking for Cabal Stronghold

Makes 2x Torment of Hailfire a pretty good finisher for MBC, along with 2x Torment of Scarabs and a lot of discard effects

nowhere near competitive ofc

Like this post