It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: White Weenie-ish
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:26 pm 

Identity: American Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Not a SJW...you have been warned.
Auunj wrote:
Kryder, why no adanto vanguard with all the lifegain? Or the knight of grace?

Flyers rock, that's why. I'm running 12 of them and they do work. It is extremely easy to get bogged down on the ground so going wide, tall, and above the opponent's creatures is a winning plan.

That and this is literally a budget deck with only 4 rares and 4 mythics, so I spent my uncommons in other places. I can't say if History of Benalia is a better place to spend the mythic wildcards instead of on the Angels, but so far the Angels have paid for themselves, even if they rarely make new Angels.

As far as win rates, I'm pushing 60% right now. Rarely get flooded, occasionally get mana screwed but not as often as you'd think (20 1-drops does mitigate that a bit I suppose). Chainwhirler has been my most common sweeper, and a few Clarion Call/Settle the Wreckage have wrecked me as well. But, as the deck was designed as a daily event deck, it wins and loses quickly (average turn 5 win on the draw, turn 6 on the play averaged).

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:43 am 

divinevert wrote:
Well, your list has 4 History of Benalia, so I'm not shocked you're wrecking people.

I guess your right, history is usually always the right T3 play. It's also the single best route to flipping a landing which is always useful.
But, I feel like every card in the deck is overperforming atm.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:26 am 

Are you guys running (Quick) Constructed or Free Play? It's hard to judge winrates without that context ;)

edit: Especially in Free Play, I can see extreme winrates given the odd matchmaking. You get queued against the same all the time and if that happens to be your prey and not your predator, why not win 90+%?

I want such a deck, too :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:10 am 

I've done both, but mostly best-of-1 ladder. Mtg arena tool doesn't differentiate, but my only constructed run was a 7-0.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 am 

Quick Constructed, best of one, 7- games per shot.

Usually run between 4-3 and 7-1, haven't failed to make back the entry fee yet.

Last night I only had time for 1 run through, went 7-1 (lost to a Boros Aggro deck that played 3 Haazda Marshalls in the first 2 turns) while beating a Green Stompy, UWR Control, 2 Dimir, Mono-R Aggro, White Weenie, and Dimir Control + Teferi (assumption...only white card I saw was Teferi). My loss was the only game to go past turn 6 IIRC.

Edit: Ran 2 more Quick Constructed Events this evening. 7-1 and 7-2. Lost to a Green Stompy list by 1 turn, UW Teferi control, and Boros Aggro running main deck Clarion Call (interesting choice, but effective). Flying won me a huge percentage of my games as over 1/2 my creatures fly or can get flying. Brutal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:16 pm 

I've looked over the stats for this deck over the last week and the results are rather enlightening.

All games in best of one constructed event, play until 7 wins or 3 losses.

27 events played. The deck went 7-X twenty of those times, three were 6-3. Worse performance was today at 2-3 (really bad games for me but the only time I haven't made my coins back). I never went 7-0 for what that's worth.

Most common deck played against has been Mono-U tempo, followed by Mono-R aggro (to date I have not lost to a deck with Risk Factor in it with this deck). Notable decks I have also faced were Boros Aggro, Orzhov Vampires, UG Merfolk, Overgrowth Golgari, Dimir Surveil, Esper Control, Jeskai Control, Azorius Control, Rock Knights, and Green Stompy. The only deck that I have a losing record against is Azorius Control (currently 0-2). I can honestly say the deck has approximately a 75% win rate for me.

MVP for the deck is Moment of Triumph. The card has created so many blowouts with the Ajani's Pridemate it is unreal.

Conclave Tribunal has been really, really good as the sole removal piece...it shows up every couple of games and usually gets rid of a flyer to let my flying monkeys in. I am thinking about removing it and replacing it with Demotion as I rarely block with this deck anyway and I almost never target anything but creatures. But still on the fence with that idea.

The deck was designed to get your 15 wins a day as quickly as possible and has done the job admirably. It has also been really good for the f2p experience as it is relatively cheap to put together and is (in my experience) very good.

If you are looking for something to quickly grind out your daily events this deck is the way to go IMO.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 am 

I tested demotion right at the start and found it bad. Why? If you tribunal a blocker it also can't attack, but with demotion it can, so it makes racing your opponent harder, especially on the draw when you sometimes fall behind.
The meta is maturing and my win-rate has dropped (I've been plagued by flood/screw which hasn't helped either). Still a good deck though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:36 am 

Kryder wrote:
I've looked over the stats for this deck over the last week and the results are rather enlightening.

27 events played. The deck went 7-X twenty of those times, three were 6-3. Worse performance was today at 2-3 (really bad games for me but the only time I haven't made my coins back). I never went 7-0 for what that's worth.

That's quite impressive. Don't you flood or screw? Or do you just win every game where you don't? How about games on 2 mana, do you still win anyway?

Would you mind updating the first post with the current list and card links?

I've started using the MtG Arena tool to track my Merfolk deck, but I need to do that for a while before drawing conclusions. As of now I feel some matchups aren't properly reflected in the record.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Demotion let my 5/2 Boros mentoring dude to keep attacking and building up my lifegain hawk in a sealed match last night. Why would I block with that creature anyway???

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am 

Haven_pt wrote:
I tested demotion right at the start and found it bad. Why? If you tribunal a blocker it also can't attack, but with demotion it can, so it makes racing your opponent harder, especially on the draw when you sometimes fall behind.
The meta is maturing and my win-rate has dropped (I've been plagued by flood/screw which hasn't helped either). Still a good deck though.

I can probably count on a pair of hands the times I've blocked with this deck...if I'm blocking I'm already losing is my thought process and it hasn't led me astray yet. The incidental life gain in the deck offsets what attacks come my way.

Sol77_bla wrote:
Kryder wrote:

That's quite impressive. Don't you flood or screw? Or do you just win every game where you don't? How about games on 2 mana, do you still win anyway?

Would you mind updating the first post with the current list and card links?

I've started using the MtG Arena tool to track my Merfolk deck, but I need to do that for a while before drawing conclusions. As of now I feel some matchups aren't properly reflected in the record.

Here is the list, which is the same as the last one I posted on the first page:

4 Ajani's Pridemate (M19) 5
4 Moment of Triumph (RIX) 15
4 Resplendent Angel (M19) 34
4 Leonin Vanguard (M19) 22
4 Haazda Marshal (GRN) 13
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
4 Silverbeak Griffin (M19) 285
4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
21 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6

21 lands means a flood rarely happens. Actually my last game yesterday I drew 4 lands in my opening hand and drew 6 straight lands afterwards...needless to say I lost that game. I occasionally get stuck on 2 lands, but the deck functions fairly well there as there are only 8 cards that require 3 mana (not counting Conclave Tribunal). I've won several games with only 1 land for the first few turns, but getting to 3 lands is where I want to be most games.

Looking back, I'm winning a majority of the games on the backs of all the flyers the deck has in it. Pridemate has a huge target on it (as well it should) so against White/Black decks it doesn't last very long, but playing it turn 3 with Moment of Triumph backup is just backbreaking against red decks; I've had several turn-3 concessions due to that line of play, especially if I have a Leonin Vanguard and Healer's Hawk on the battlefield.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 am 

Thanks for the extra effort :)

And wtf.. there isn't even a History of Benalia? Deck looks pretty cheap with only 4 Mythics and 4 Rares. I still don't have wildcards right now and don't need a deck to grind, but this looks very solid. I should have most cards after drafting GRN a few times.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 am 

Kryder wrote:

Did you use software or manually counting finishes?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 am 

tmp_tmp wrote:
Kryder wrote:

Did you use software or manually counting finishes?

I have kept a notebook beside me since DotP 2014 for recording match records.

Like this post