It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm 

I unintentionally lied. There is one thing we haven't discussed at length, and that is whether or not they are going to do more wipes after putting gems up for sale.

If you guys want to talk about that, someone go make a thread and we can talk about that. That's the only thing we haven't discussed to death yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:30 am 

I logged into the beta forums for the first time ever.

:rofl:

Never again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 am 

Explain

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm 

Remember when this place was such a ****hole of drama that there had to be a post on the front page about how we could all better ourselves? The forums are like that except you swap all the people yelling at each other with economy hate

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:39 pm 

Explain

It looks exactly like the MTG:A sub-reddit, except more complaining and monologue-ing with far less discussion. And it's all about how Blizzard Wizards of the Coast is releasing the most Free To Play unfriendly CCG on the market by a factor of 2-3 which may not even be able to compete with paper or MTGO.

It's basically mostly this thread

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20813

except little to no discussion and everyone just wanting to make their own thread to give "feedback" WOTC is going to ignore.

At least on Reddit I can watch people talk back and forth. The Beta forums tbh are just a testament to how much WOTC doesn't care.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

I'll let the admins know to reinforce the NGA servers in preparation for all your rants :P

I'm going to respond seriously to this.

My view of MTG:A is that they are going to release with too many sets at too high a price per pack for it to be anything but Pay to Win. I have spent thousands of dollars combined on Hearthstone, League of Legends, and Shadowverse over a period of about 8 years; and I expect this game to be "too rich for my blood".

They could legitimately sell packs in bundles at $1 per pack with wildcards thrown in and it would still be too expensive taking 5+ sets into account. This is because they are only selling packs of 8 cards in size (rather than normal size packs); and Magic the Gathering packs are mostly draft filler designed to support a format that has nothing to do with constructed. And no smart person who plays Constructed Magic the Gathering would ever buy packs. They, almost without exception, buy singles because those are much much much cheaper.

So I expect to play the beta casually a bit here and there until they do the final wipe. Then I expect to try to seriously Free-To-Play it for as long I can stand to. Then I expect to quit the game, because I can't justify spending money on a game that I expect to go under.

I expect to quit, because I do not think they are going to make the Free to Play economy significantly more generous, and the game given some generous estimates in its favor is three times less generous than Hearthstone. They are in a spot where they could actually double the amount of rewards, not just make it a bit more generous but actually completely double the amount of free stuff, and Hearthstone would still be more generous. And I think Wizards of the Coast thinks they can get away with that because I think they have the hubris to think the "Magic the Gathering" brand is worth a whole lot more than it actually is.

Being honest, I do not expect them to make the game that much more generous because Magic Duels completely failed, and I think they don't want that to happen a second time. That is a clear example where they DID succumb to pressure and the game ended up dying because of it, so I don't think they are going to be as willing to listen this time. They've also just managed to go to the opposite extreme in such a way that they really do need to listen this time, where last time they shouldn't have.

In my honest opinion, Wizards is going to make a game that gets rid of the secondary market with no suitable replacement and no good way to play for free.

----------------

Since I have already stated that I believe all of the above and I believe all of the above is inevitable, what is there left to rant about?

I'm going to try to enjoy my game and my memories for as long as I can stand to, and then I'm going to move on. I'm past the Anger stage of this process.
It's a shame the best card game ever made can't make a single good digital version without succumbing to ever more encompassing greed with each iteration.

Last edited by mjack33 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 pm 

If I'm wrong and they somehow manage to get their collective head out of their collective arse enough for the game to be successful and for me to play it long term, I will be happy to be a happily surprised pessimist. Better that than a constantly disappointed optimist.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm 

Too many serious posts in a row.

That's slightly better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 pm 

Monster Hunter World makes an attempt to order Monsters in the Monster Research Log by power level in lowest -> highest order.

This attempt hilariously fails miserably because they rank High Rank exclusive monsters after all the Low Rank monsters, and there are several High Rank monsters that are not worthy of their spot in the list. I don't care how you rank it. A Dodogama is not harder to kill than Kirin lol.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 am 

My XBONE says I've played MHW for a total of 70 hours.

I guess it was worth buying?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 am 

MHW was such meh carried on a wave of hype & riding its brand. The core mechanics are garbage and dated but instead of getting called out for it they get a pass by flashing their 'git gud' membership card and feeding into the **** "games should be 'hard'" trend which constantly lets games with clumsy or average controls gain cult status instead of ridicule.

Also I saw a ad for the next set narrated by karn with the weatherlight pictured. Neato.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm 

It's extremely bad Dark Souls controls. No way around it. The game's control system and camera are absolute **** and should have been fixed.

Monster Hunter World though is by far the best monster hunter game I've ever seen, and they've made a ton of improvements, so it's not like they did NOTHING.

It's massively improved over older games in the series. THe controls and camera are just still **** b/c purists prefer it that way.

I've just got nothing better to do with 3 weeks off.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 pm 

Monster Hunter World is the only one I've enjoyed actually, the QoL improvements make it actually fun to play (as long as you can avoid grinding, either via self-control, being lucky, or gitting gud)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:24 pm 

gitting gud)

Imo this means getting used to **** controls, animation lock, and bad camera.

I mean.... that's just it really. The major problems with the game are that the camera is bad and the controls are bad. If you get used to it you can "git gud", and there is nothing wrong with the rest of it.

the QoL improvements make it actually fun to play (as long as you can avoid grinding, either via self-control, being lucky, or gitting gud)

The whole point of the game is to grind for better gear.

Otherwise Dark Souls (the first one), Bloodborne, and Shadow of the Colossus are just better games.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm 

I'm not going to be able to tune into the stream tomorrow, so would someone be willing to post a stream summary on here? Or at least post a link to the one that will inevitably show up on Reddit?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:09 am 

More Data Mining (aka not gospel) From Reddit:

Smallest Bundle? - 15 Packs 1 Rare Wildcard
Biggest Bundle? - 90 Packs 3 MR Wildcards 9 Rare Wildcards

If this is real and these packs are only 8 cards, I'm probably not buying gems. Unless it's a ridiculous conversion rate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 am 

A mythic wild card is guaranteed in 1 in every 15? packs, so a 90 pack bundle gets you 90/15 + 3 = 6 + 3 = 9 mythic rare wildcards minimum. Throw in some vault openings with more mythic wild cards in there and the Expected Value is probably high enough for one bundle to let you make roughly one deck I think.

Opening most of a set though is a complete pipe dream. And there are FIVE sets in the game starting tomorrow. My unrealistic dream of being able to play whatever I want is probably dead lol.

For someone who wants a point of reference, it costs ~$180 per set (on average) to get every competitive card in a HS set, and ~$400 per set (on average) to get all the usable copies of a card in a set. A Hearthstone set is significantly smaller than an MTG set, due to the number of copies required and the number of cards printed.

If we're lucky, getting every usable card in a set will still end up around that $180 figure. But they are starting with too many **** sets for that to matter.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:41 am 

Don't get me wrong. This is much better than what I expected (unless the price values are way off from what I now expect), whether that 90 pack bundle costs $40, $50, $90, or $100 (values I would guess at?).

I've just been playing more MTG:A lately and I'm not convinced I want to drop $200+ on the game right now to have *some* options.

Edit: It's basically the complete lack of a dust mechanic. Once you invest your wildcards, all your options are just...... completely gone. You don't have the option to break down a deck and make a new one like you do in almost every other digital CCG. And I've realized I'm not comfortable going all in on a few decks every time a new set comes out, hoping I pick the correct ones to invest in.

If I put $200 into MTG:A, I'm stuck with whatever I made with my wildcards.

If I put $200 into any other equivalent, I can dust/liquify/grind/whatever my cards down into another deck if I decide I made a bad decision.

Thus I'm realizing $200 into MTG:A is a much more significant risk.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:50 am 

I **** up. The language says "Packs contain at least X Mythic Rare wildcards and Y Rare Wildcards." So it may be something a-kin to a pity timer. Which sounds really weird because the CURRENT pity timer for 90 packs is way higher than that. So I have no idea what this is actually going to be.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:04 am 

Watched Infinity War earlier today.

Worth a watch, stay away from spoilers as there are bound to be asshats around who will spoil the **** out of the plot. Unless you don't care, then do whatever.

The NSA is the only branch of government that actually listens to people.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next