It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:30 pm 

Ok so I fell in love with explore on a T2 drop that thing is just raw value, so I tried to build a deck around that, and this pile has gone 7-2 on the quick constructed and its 15-4 /4-2 vs RDW and 3-0 vs Scarab god 2-1 vs UW/ on the ladder so I´m pretty happy with it ATM.

4 x Merfolk Branchwalker
4 x Seekers' Squire

2 x Thrashing Brontodon
2 x Jadelight Ranger

4 x Ravenous Chupacabra

1 x Carnage Tyrant
2 x Demonlord Belzenlok

2 x Treasure Map
2 x Lay Bare the Heart
1 x Driven /// Despair

1 x Doomfall

2 x Phyrexian Scriptures
3 x Vraska's Contempt

1 x Vraska, Relic Seeker
3 x Liliana, Death's Majesty
2 x Karn, Scion of Urza

7 x Forest
11 x Swamp
2 x Hashep Oasis
2 x Foul Orchard
2 x Woodland Cemetery

I have tried the The Eldest Reborn here and it worked quite good but the top of the curve is rather full so I end up chopping it.
Those 8 Explore creatures at the 2CMC spot are great they give UW a lot of pressure and they often hate to waste resources on them, they also feed the GY for Lily and help find the right answer of any given match. The Pirexian scriptures are the panic button vs RDW and tokens. Belzenlok and Tyrant are finishers but most of the late game value comes from the PWs.
The second map is great here with Karn -Such an innocuous combo- I think that Kitesail Freebooter could be useful... I might burn one WC on him coz I got one copy of him but so farLay bare the Heart has worked great, the extra CMC over Duress is nothing to worry, but the 2cmc kinda fights with the 2 drops so I might end up swapping them, overall hand attack has proven to be very important against UW, UB, and RDW, and those are your daily meals so I think that if you are running black on a MIDRANGE shell you should run either Duress, Lay bare or doomfall.

-I finally got wise and burn some WC´s on lands coz in my last draft -yes the streak is over- I snatched 3 rare lands YAY!! so I open the vault and burned them to get doubles and yes... they are awesome!

Thoughts?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 pm 

Cool deck, but why no Wildgrowth Walker

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 pm 

That guy makes sense, but is not really what the deck is trying to do, I use explore as mean to ensure my land drops while creating board presence and feeding the grave, but I can see the synergie for sure.

I did make a few minor changes to the pile, swaping the lay bare the heart for duress and choping the second Belzenlok for the 25 land, also adding two copies of cast down.
The deck can get out of some serious trouble and its very fun to play I like it :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 am 

I'd work some white into the deck for lyra and Maybe cast-out.
Also, zetalpa is nice as a reanimation target because of vigilance (dodges Seal Away).

Journey to Eternity could work in this deck too.
It may suck and be hard to cast when you need it, but Yawgmoth's Vile Offering was made for a deck like this.

Btw, looks like the deck needs a Discard outlet. Right now Tomb Robber fits the explore theme and is about as good as it gets, but key to the city is coming and we all loved that card from Duels (even without madness cards).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:24 pm 

I tried Journey to Eternity coz I have so few 3CMC drops but it was to slow and when I could actually use it either I was dead or dominating the board maybe with a second copy I could test it a bit more.
The biggest issue with the deck is that is very heavy on the top end of the curve, so you NEED your 4th land drop on a regular basis, I have pushed the lands up to 26 coz the average CMC is I bit over 3 so the deck is very hungry for mana.

UPTADE: fatal push + Waking ballista... + aethersphere / heart of Kiran, big boost :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:45 pm 

What about Glint Sleeve over Seeker Squire?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm 

Glint sleeve might be good here, It's just that with Lily I want to maximize ETB effects, but I could use the draw engine better... then again x/1 can be quite heartbreaking in this meta.

This is how this pile is looking now, I used to care more for the curve but this deck is strange, the more I focus on the curve the worse it performs, the 3CMC is particularly difficult in GB, the deck main color is Black so no room GG in this spot... I think I´m making some room for Glint Sleeves to see how they perform and Gonti coz that card is just nuts and I haven't played with him at all. Once sage arrives he will definitively have a spot in this deck

4 x Fatal Push

2 x Gifted Aetherborn
4 x Seekers' Squire
4 x Merfolk Branchwalker

1 x Ramunap Excavator

4 x Vraska's Contempt
4 x Walking Ballista
3 x Ravenous Chupacabra

2 x Carnage Tyrant
2 x Demonlord Belzenlok

2 x Karn, Scion of Urza
2 x Liliana, Death's Majesty
2 x Vraska, Relic Seeker

4 x Forest
10 x Swamp
1 x Blooming Marsh
4 x Woodland Cemetery
4 x Ifnir Deadlands
1 x Arch of Orazca

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:
I'd work some white into the deck for lyra and Maybe cast-out.
Also, zetalpa is nice as a reanimation target because of vigilance (dodges Seal Away).

Journey to Eternity could work in this deck too.
It may suck and be hard to cast when you need it, but Yawgmoth's Vile Offering was made for a deck like this.

Btw, looks like the deck needs a Discard outlet. Right now Tomb Robber fits the explore theme and is about as good as it gets, but key to the city is coming and we all loved that card from Duels (even without madness cards).

If you're going to splash anything, it should be some blue for the scarab god and/or champion of wits, imho.

Like this post