It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 am 

"Former"?

Vampirism normally implies a bit of death.

Barinellos wrote:
Just had this really striking visual stuck in my head, but a flat world with a giant tree which is orbited by the world's moon. The sun functions normally.

I'm kind of thinking of stealing this for my non-M:EM project. Except there are 13 moons and they come right up into the boughs of the tree sometimes. Kind of combine your imagery with the Chinese story of the Archer and the Sun.

Just to be sure, this is okay with you?

OH GOOD GODS, I'm so sorry I forgot to answer this before now!
Yes, it's fine, feel free to use it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 am 

Identity: Human
Barinellos wrote:
I'm kind of thinking of stealing this for my non-M:EM project. Except there are 13 moons and they come right up into the boughs of the tree sometimes. Kind of combine your imagery with the Chinese story of the Archer and the Sun.

Just to be sure, this is okay with you?

OH GOOD GODS, I'm so sorry I forgot to answer this before now!
Yes, it's fine, feel free to use it.

To be fair, at this point I've actually decided to port the world over to the M:EM because of how attached I've gotten to it -- I feel taking ideas from this thread for M:EM-related projects requires a little less permission -- but I'm still probably going to use the idea for running a TTRPG. Maybe. Eventually.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am 

Here's an idea that's popped into my head because of Advent Children talk: an oldwalker (either pre- or post-Mending) contained and trapped, and slowly bits of them are removed to make a breed of powerful created beings. Images of JENOVA from Final Fantay VII and Lilith from Evangelion come to mind.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:27 am 

My favourite plane I've made up is Kasterhouse, an artificial world that is literally just the interior of a house the size of a moon. It was created by a Planeswalker from a world of aristocrats who would one-up each other by living in grander and grander places, until he created the grandest one of all. Guests and servants would enter through a planar bridge— but it broke when the Mending happened, stranding everyone in Kasterhouse. Now it's sixty years later, the entire thing is collapsing, and strange civilisations are springing up in the enormous mansion's ruins. I'm building a custom set around this place, but there's a lot of work still to do.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 am 

Turnip wrote:
My favourite plane I've made up is Kasterhouse, an artificial world that is literally just the interior of a house the size of a moon. It was created by a Planeswalker from a world of aristocrats who would one-up each other by living in grander and grander places, until he created the grandest one of all. Guests and servants would enter through a planar bridge— but it broke when the Mending happened, stranding everyone in Kasterhouse. Now it's sixty years later, the entire thing is collapsing, and strange civilisations are springing up in the enormous mansion's ruins. I'm building a custom set around this place, but there's a lot of work still to do.

I like it. I like that this holds to the basic metaphysics that has been more or less agreed upon around here, where Oldwalkers can do amazing things like this, but when the Mending hits and the Spark loses its power, things begin to fall apart. I also like that you're not using planar bridges and non-'walker interplanar travel as some convenient bypass for ease of narrative, but rather as an integral plot point and something that no longer works the way it once did, or even at all.

Out of curiosity, do you have a sense of what happened to the planeswalker who created Kasterhouse? Is he still around somewhere, or does that not matter to the story? I sort of like the idea that the people of the plane don't know the answer to that. Maybe some are waiting for him to return like some kind of messiah, and others maybe think he's trapped in some of the deepest, most obscure rooms in the house.

Yeah, I like this idea a lot!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:49 pm 

Turnip wrote:

I like it. I like that this holds to the basic metaphysics that has been more or less agreed upon around here, where Oldwalkers can do amazing things like this, but when the Mending hits and the Spark loses its power, things begin to fall apart. I also like that you're not using planar bridges and non-'walker interplanar travel as some convenient bypass for ease of narrative, but rather as an integral plot point and something that no longer works the way it once did, or even at all.

Out of curiosity, do you have a sense of what happened to the planeswalker who created Kasterhouse? Is he still around somewhere, or does that not matter to the story? I sort of like the idea that the people of the plane don't know the answer to that. Maybe some are waiting for him to return like some kind of messiah, and others maybe think he's trapped in some of the deepest, most obscure rooms in the house.

Yeah, I like this idea a lot!

Immanuel Kaster's corpse has turned up, but much around it remains a mystery, because I thought mysteries would be a good hook for a set based here. I haven't worked out what the solution to that mystery actually is, which is a problem because it's quite important to the world.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Curious idea. Is the phonetic similarity with Immanuel Casto accidental? It probably is, but it doesn't hurt to ask :D

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/etc.
Curious idea. Is the phonetic similarity with Immanuel Casto accidental? It probably is, but it doesn't hurt to ask :D

Given Casto's self-proclaimed genre, that doesn't bode too well for Kasterhouse's decor. At best, it would probably be haunted by the Ghost of Pimpings Past.

An idea I've personally been tossing around is for a non-M:tG, far-future Science Fantasy World (actually intended for the Numenera setting, but mostly disconnected from anything in any published work thereof). Off in the desert somewhere is a black spire, extending impossibly high. Legend has it that if one can make it to the top and ask the right question, they will receive a treasure beyond imagining. However, two obstacles lie in wait. The first, obviously, is the spire itself, whose exact floorplan and contents are lost to history. The second are the sands surrounding it, which each night rearrange themselves. An expedition ranging two miles south and one mile west of the northern edge will wake to find themselves a mile and a half away from the southeast corner, for example. Tales are told of strange howls in the night which cut off inexplicably, cairns meant to mark the edge suddenly being found divided neatly in half several miles apart, and treasure troves from previous expeditions that had become hopelessly lost in the shifting wastes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 am 

Identity: Male
Sounds cool. Ever read Diamond Dogs by Alastair Reynolds? I haven't either, but the themes are similar.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:01 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Landis963 wrote:

Given Casto's self-proclaimed genre, that doesn't bode too well for Kasterhouse's decor. At best, it would probably be haunted by the Ghost of Pimpings Past.

Ha!

Quote:
An idea I've personally been tossing around is for a non-M:tG, far-future Science Fantasy World (actually intended for the Numenera setting, but mostly disconnected from anything in any published work thereof). Off in the desert somewhere is a black spire, extending impossibly high. Legend has it that if one can make it to the top and ask the right question, they will receive a treasure beyond imagining. However, two obstacles lie in wait. The first, obviously, is the spire itself, whose exact floorplan and contents are lost to history. The second are the sands surrounding it, which each night rearrange themselves. An expedition ranging two miles south and one mile west of the northern edge will wake to find themselves a mile and a half away from the southeast corner, for example. Tales are told of strange howls in the night which cut off inexplicably, cairns meant to mark the edge suddenly being found divided neatly in half several miles apart, and treasure troves from previous expeditions that had become hopelessly lost in the shifting wastes.

I haven't played a lot of Numenera, but that sounds like the sort of thing that a GM might throw their players to mess with them, I like it :D I may add something similar to Thamirelk's deep Wastelands.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 am 

I have never heard of Immanuel Casto until now, I'm afraid :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:15 pm 

I just figured it was an Immanuel Kant reference.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 pm 

I just figured it was an Immanuel Kant reference.

I thought that at first, but then I thought No, it Kant be.

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/etc.
I haven't played a lot of Numenera, but that sounds like the sort of thing that a GM might throw their players to mess with them, I like it :D I may add something similar to Thamirelk's deep Wastelands.

Have you read the Keys To The Kingdom series by Garth Nix? The 4th book has a setting called the "Great Maze" which despite its name has no walls - instead it is divided up into square mile chunks that at regular intervals teleport around. (It was mainly designed as a way to train a standing army in battles of the admiral's choosing). That plus Slay the Spire was where the idea came from.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:56 pm 

I've long considered the idea of a skyworld where colors of mana come from different types of clouds.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:02 pm 

I'm always up for the cosmology shifting like that. In a world without plants, fungus is the new Forest. In a world without science, philosophy is the pinnacle of blue intellectualism. In tech world, modern times throwbacks are green traditionalism.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm 

It suddenly occurred to me yesterday that it'd be cool if there was a Kithkin Planeswalker who ascended from Shadowmoor, then went back some time later to discover a completely different version of their plane had replaced their own while they'd been away. And while they know the world of Lorwyn is much more beautiful and pristine than their own ever was, they still don't really feel it's home, so they come to resent it and its people with their strange non-glowing eyes.

It also occurred to me yesterday that "Humans come to Lorwyn and the Gatewatch has to reluctantly defend the plane" would be a cool hook to go back there, especially if it was done in the run-up to the Phyrexia arc and they drew an explicit analogy between them and us in terms of transforming a world to one's own ends. The Kithkin Planeswalker could be in that, and everyone could boggle when his odd stories of "humans" turn out to be true.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:24 pm 

It would be even better if the kithwalker didn't initially recognize Lorwyn as home. It would seem like just another plane upon first inspection.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:59 pm 

Okay, has there been an official undersea world built here besides my own Ranmin and a few snippets created by an early member? I feel a strong urge to design an underwater world.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:43 pm 

Okay, has there been an official undersea world built here besides my own Ranmin and a few snippets created by an early member? I feel a strong urge to design an underwater world.

There've been a few stabs at it, but nothing ever really rose to the surface.
If you wouldn't mind a bit of a cooperative, I'd be down to help put something together.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next