It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Tree, forest, man. Tree falls, and no one is around to hear it. Does it make a sound? Man walks through forest, there are no trees. Has he gone mad? Tree falls on man, there is no forest. Is he terribly unlucky, or what?

Hello all! And welcome to another edition of Johnny's Dojo. Come, make yourselves comfortable. Take your shoes off. Mind the cushions. Tea?

Three things make a story: person, place, and thing. Your task for this week: paint a scene. Tell a story. Transplant the reader. More concretely: three cards. First: a (non-legendary) creature. This creature should have a bond to a place. Which brings us into the next card. Second: a (non-legendary) land. This is your setting. Do not feel the need to stretch yourself mechanically, here. Third: a historic card. I mean this in the literal, Comprehensive Rules sense. Italics intended: artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic. Beyond the three cards, you can submit no more than fifty words of flavor blurb. The less the better, but some is fine and can even enhance your score. Any extraneous blurb will disqualify your submission and will be viewed as a personal affront.

I don't wish to further constrain you. Submissions that set a specific, compelling mood will be graded higher than those with strict narrative arcs. I don't need to see a dozen riffs on the Hero's Journey, folks. Just take me somewhere. Submissions are due end of day PST Friday April 20. Get to it!

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Standard Dojo rules and regulations apply. This dojo is slightly different because each submission contains multiple cards. But if you tender multiple submissions, I will rank them all. However, each submission should still have three-and-only-three cards, and I am personally responsible for providing heartfelt feedback on only one of your submissions. To make things easier on me, if you enter multiple submissions, please give them obvious one-word titles.

Those celebrating the holiday may find themselves at an advantage creatively but at a disadvantage linguistically. I offer no advice in this regard.

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 pm 

Entry "Demise"

Student of the Occult

Creature - Human Wizard
The first time you would sacrifice Student of the Occult each turn, you may pay :1: instead.
"The advantage to knowing all these ghost stories? If I ever find myself in one, I like my chances."
0/1

Forgotten Storage Room
Land
:t:: Add :c:
:3:, :t:: Shuffle Forgotten Storage Room and your graveyard into their owners' libraries, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise, put it into your hand.
The academy's storage contained everything from worthless rocks to priceless tomes, broken science fair projects to world-shattering artifacts. All were unlabeled.

Game of Demise
:2::b:
Enchantment - Saga
I, II: Sacrifice Game of Demise unless you sacrifice a creature.
III: Sacrifice two creatures. If you do, create Demise, a legendary 7/7 black Cat Demon token with Trample, and "Whenever another creature dies, you may draw a card"

Spoiler

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:32 am 

Lets see, hmm, Kingdom Hearts kinda? :V :V :V

Hmm, Entry: Showdown

Defiant Wielder -
Creature - Human Knight
~ can't be the target of black spells and abilities.
As long as an opponent controls more creatures than you, ~ gets +1/+1 and can block an additional creature.
2/2

At the Edge of Light
Land
: You and each of your teammate add to your mana pools. Each of your opponent add to their mana pools.
Where light repels the darkness.

Stand Before the Tide -
Legendary Enchantment
Indestructible
When ~ enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each of your end step, each opponent creates a 3/2 Black Horror creature token with menace.
Creatures you and your teammates control gets +1/+1 and has lifelink and vigilance.
With faith, we stood.

Edit: Think I am done editing, been trying to balance teammate cards.

Last edited by Confused on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am 

Entry "Imposter"

Murderous Doppelganger
:3::u::b:
Creature - Shapeshifter
Forecast - , Reveal Murderous Doppelganger from your hand: Put an Imitation counter on target creature.
When Murderous Doppelganger enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, you may have it become a copy of target creature and gain this ability. If that creature had an Imitation counter on it, destroy it.
0/2

Crooked Path
Land
:1::u::b:, :t:: Remove target attacking creature from combat and put a -1/-1 counter on it. (Do not untap it)
Figuring in countless ghost stories, Wyndmoor Street is a tangled labyrinth of dead ends and blind turns from which most apparent exits are merely tricks of the light.

Kamiko, Beloved Idol
:1::u::w:
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard Flagbearer
While choosing targets as part of casting a spell or activating an ability, players must choose Kamiko, Beloved Idol if able.
: Counter target spell that targets Kamiko. Its controller gains life equal to its converted mana cost.
"I love my fans!"
1/4

Spoiler

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:18 am 

Entry "Stalker"

Observant Sneak
:1::u:
Creature - Human Rogue
Skulk
Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may look at it.
"I have to know... it's for your own good, really"
1/3

Inviting Home
Land
You may have Inviting Home enter the battlefield under an opponent's control.
Whenever a land you don't control is tapped for mana, its controller may add an additional mana of any color if they haven't done so this turn.
"Don't mind if I do." - Black Tie, Amateur Cracksman

Blade of the Obsessed
:3:
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+0
Whenever equipped creature attacks and isn't blocked, you may have it assign no damage this combat. If you do, destroy target creature or planeswalker defending player controls.
Equip :2:

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am 

Entry "Wish"

Desperate Seeker
:1::b:
Creature - Human Rogue
When Desperate Seeker enters the battlefield, search your library for a noncreature artifact card and put that card into your graveyard. Then, shuffle your library.
"Almost got it. Know it's here. Please. I have to have it. Have to find it. It's here. Just a little more. I'll find it."
2/1

Trash Heap
Land
:u::b:, :t:: An opponent chooses a creature or artifact card from your graveyard. Put the chosen card on top of your library.
"Broken bones and bits of glass/Treasure hides amidst the trash/Seekers come, all wish to find/A way to leave the Heap behind." - Ragpickers' Rhyme

Monkey's Paw
:4:
Artifact
:2:, :t:: Choose one that hasn't been chosen -
  • Search your library for a card or choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your Graveyard. If you searched your library, shuffle it.
  • Discard your hand, then search your library for a card or choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand. If you searched your library, shuffle it.
  • Lose 3 life, then then search your library for a card or choose a card you own from outside the game. Shuffle your library if you searched it and put that card on top of your library.
  • Search your library for a nonland card or choose a nonland card you own from outside the game and cast it without paying its mana cost. If you searched your library, shuffle it. You lose the game at the beginning of next turn's upkeep.

I'm done now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 am 

Voice in the Crowd -
Creature - Spirit Horror | R
You can’t cast Voice in the Crowd unless you control three or more creatures.
Vigilance, lifelink
: Target opponent discards a card. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/3

Crowded Corridor
Land | U
: Add .
: Add . Activate this ability only if an opponent discarded a card this turn.
There’s a peculiar emptiness about this place, hidden somewhere within the crowd.

Unraveling of the Mind -
Enchantment - Saga | R
I, II: Target opponent discards a card.
III: Create X 1/1 white and black Spirit Horror creature tokens, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards.
To go mad is to live a nightmare.

The story is happening to you, the player.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Meditating Master
Creature — Human Monk (R)
At the beginning of your end step, if Meditating Master is untapped, you may draw a card.
There he sat, atop the hillside, awaiting revelation.
4/4

Calming Vista
Land (U)
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice Calming Vista: Draw two cards.
The wind and water circled around him, as if in harmony with his thoughts.

The Path to Enlightenment
Enchantment — Saga (M)
I, II — Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
III — Draw cards equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Vengeful Sailor | :2::r:
Creature - Human

Whenever ~ crews a vehicle, that vehicle has a base power and toughness of 5/5 until end of turn.

"Be it by galleon, frigate, or dingy, I'll get that beast if it's the last thing I do!"

2/2

Lurking Fathoms
Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
:t:: Add :u:.
:2::u:, :t:: Look that the top four cards of your library. You may reveal an island card or a blue creature card with a converted mana cost of 7 or greater from among them and add it to your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Sooleawa, the Silver Abyss | :5::u::u:
Legendary Creature - Whale

Flash, trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature or vehicle until ~ leaves the battlefield. If a vehicle is exiled this way, exile all creatures that crewed that vehicle this turn until ~ leaves the battlefield.

7/7

Overwatch

Last edited by Tekkahedron on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:45 pm 

Odyssey:

Adventurous Noble |
Creature - Human Sailor (C)
Islandwalk
Whenever Adventurous Noble deals combat damage to a player, you may exile Adventurous Noble and draw a card.
"One day I'll come back, with the most amazing stories!"
[1/3]

Lands Far From Land
Land - Island {U}
Lands Far From Land enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, if you drew more than one card this turn, draw a card.

Odallyius, Decade Lost |
Legendary Creature - Human Sailor {R}
As an additional cost to cast Odallyius , put target card you own in exile into your graveyard.
Odallyius cannot be blocked, except by Pirates and Sirens.
"The waves change a man. They do not return the same person they were."
[3/1]

Last edited by Yarium on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:58 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Tempest

Storm Chronicler
Creature — Human Wizard (R)
2/1
Flying
Exodus — Whenever a land you control leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
"Flux is the only constancy of this world. There must be a pattern to it."
—Tamiyo

Windwrought Terrace
Land (U)
, : Put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield, then return Windwrought Terrace to its owner's hand.
"Every night I close my eyes, never knowing the latitude, longitude, or altitude my home will have when I wake."
—Briana, windblown witness

Era of Tempests
Enchantment — Saga (M)
I — Each player returns two lands they control to their owners' hands.
II — You may put any number of land cards from your hand onto the battlefield.
III — Until end of turn, you may return lands you control to their owners' hands rather than pay the activation costs of their mana abilities.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 am 

I would enter but I'm on holiday without a keyboard until Tuesday I think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:12 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Entry - Case closed

Heroic Detective
Creature - Human Soldier Scout
Sacrifice four Clues: put this card from your hand onto the battlefield.
When this creature enters the battlefield, all creatures you control gain +1/+1, First Strike and Hexproof until the end of turn.
"...but when I looked at the analysis of the soup's contents, it all clicked ! The next murder was going to happen here, at 23:15. And thus... sir, you are now under arrest."
3/1

Lonely Alley
Land
: Add
, : Each player chooses a creature they control. Exile all other creatures until the end of turn. Activate this ability only when you could cast a Sorcery.

Maniac of Tumglestone
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
Menace
: Maniac of Tumblegrove fights target creature with power 2 or less.
: Creatures you don't control gain -1/-1 until the end of turn.
"Girl. Stop, girl. There is not a single other living being in ten miles from here. How do you expect to outrun me ? "
4/4

EDIT: added entry title.
EDIT: shortened flavor texts

Last edited by UselessCommon on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:32 am 

Identity: Male
Entry - Crusade

Benalish Crusader
Creature - Human Knight
First Strike, Vigilance
When this creature enters the battlefield, look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal a historic card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Only one of the king's men would find the relic.
2/2

Desolate Tomb
Land
: Add . If that mana is spent on an historic spell, that spell can't be countered.
"It was then as I stood staring at his crypt that I knew the harsh truth; we were alone." - Sir Hans

Hans the Heretic
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Champion a Knight.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may destroy target historic permanent. If you do, its controller creates two 1/1 white Human creature tokens.
"I tire of these fanciful tales of heroes seeking trinkets.There are more substantial issues that must be addressed."
4/4

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 am 

Entry - Crusade

Benalish Crusader
Creature - Human Knight
First Strike, Vigilance
When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a historic card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Only one of the king's men would find the relic.
2/2

Desolate Tomb
Land
: Add . If that mana is spent on an historic spell, that spell can't be countered.
"It was then as I stood staring at his crypt that I knew the harsh truth; we were alone." - Sir Hans

Hans the Heretic
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Champion a Knight.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may destroy target historic permanent. If you do, its controller creates two 1/1 white Human creature tokens.
"I tire of these fanciful tales of heroes seeking trinkets.There are more substantial issues that must be addressed."
4/4

Here we have an improved Fabricate with a free 2/2 creature with two good abilities, flicker potential, and relevant types attached to it.
Also - repeatable, efficent artifact (sometimes enchantment, even) destruction in mono-black.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:14 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Creature with a bond to a place.
A land with flavor.
A historic spell.
50 words of flavor text max.

Rebel Leader
Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Rebel Leader.
2/2
When her father disappeared, they despaired. When her mother was killed, she raged. When she took up the sword, they rose.

Catharsis, City in Revolt
Land (R)
Revolt: If a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, create a 1/1 white human rebel creature token.

Rise of the Republic
Enchantment — Saga (R)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Each player sacrifices each legendary permanent they control.
II — Each nonland permanent becomes legendary.
III — Each player draws a card for each creature card in their graveyards.
"When the aristocracy fell, the rebel butchers proved no better. So we pick up the pieces. Do we rebuild, or reshape?" — Taylon Bree, Reluctant Leader

Ephemeron

Last edited by Dudibus on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am 

Lost & Found

Family Trinket |
Artifact {MR}
If you would lose the game, instead transform Family Trinket, and you can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game this turn.
A curious locket, emblazoned with small and intricate designs.
///
The Bane of Tyrants
Legendary Artifact {MR}
: Choose one—
  • Prevent all damage a source of your choice would deal to you this turn.
  • Target permanent loses all abilities until end of turn.

Old Uncle |
Creature - Human {U}
When Old Uncle dies, search your library for an artifact with converted mana cost 6 or greater, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
To my favourite neice, I leave my antique locket.
[2/2]

Burial Mounds
Land {U}
When Burial Mounds enters the battlefield, name a card. You gain 1 life for each card with the chosen name in your graveyard, then exile those cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am 

Appropriate Specimen -
Creature - Human
When ~ dies, search your library for a card named ~, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
1/1

Conversion Factory
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice a creature: Salvage. (Create a colorless Parts artifact token with "Sacrifice this artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Activate this ability only at any time you could cast a sorcery.")

Machine Arts of the Empire -
Enchantment - Saga
I-II: Choose up to two non-artifact creatures you control. Then, create a copy of each of them, except they are 1/1, colorless and is an artifact in addition to their other types.
III-IV: Sacrifice up to two non-artifact creatures. Then, create a copy of each creature sacrificed this way, except they are colorless, is an artifact in addition to their other types and has Graft 2.
V: Exile up to four creature cards from your graveyard. Create a X/X colorless Horror Artifact Creature token with Trample and Menace, where X is the combined power of the exiled cards.

Last edited by Confused on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm 

Dojo

Intoxicating Elixir |
Artifact {C}
, sacrifice Intoxicating Elixir: Target creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.

Stumbling Master |
Creature - Djinn Monk {U}
Prowess
Whenever a player casts a non-creature spell, switch Drunken Master's power and toughness.
[2/4]

Monastic Retreat
Land {R}
: Target creature gains Prowess until end of turn.

Like this post