It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am 

There's lots of things that dump on mono red - 4 fatal push, 4 moment of craving, some cast downs and 4 contempts are enough to ruin any red players day. Maybe throw in a black gearhulk, 4 2/3 deathtouch lifelinkers and a liliana. UW will just walk all over you though.

My current decks are:
Mono green stompy, can beat R/x but doesn't feel good, can beat UW but again feels a bit shakey, loses pretty hard to UB without good draws. Can absolutely have some nutty unbeatable draws though. Pretty consistent, but when you lose it can feel hopeless.
Rb aggro, yeah kill stuff, weee.
UW no-wincon control - so far I've got a winning record against R/x but most games involve surviving at sub 5 life for an uncomfortably long time (e.g. until teferi ults and all their lands are exiled if they're not the conceding type). Midrange decks just lose, UB just loses, tokens mostly lose, creature based UW loses, uw approach is close, U/x aggro with counters can be hard depending on the draw.

My highest winrate deck on arena since the patch has been UW without a doubt, it's a horrifically unfair deck that punishes everything the opponent does. What do you want to play around? Settle, fumigate, seal away, cast out? Btw I'm holding all of them and card draw too. The only good answer is to kill you real fast. So I guess it's good that red aggro is so goddam strong :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:48 am 

Identity: ichthyophile
Know what, I'm going to build Jeskai or Esper tapout control with the full RDW hate package + 2x Nezahal as my only win con.
You never know.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am 

AD2016 wrote:
UW no-wincon control - so far I've got a winning record against R/x but most games involve surviving at sub 5 life for an uncomfortably long time (e.g. until teferi ults and all their lands are exiled if they're not the conceding type).

Oh man... with all due respect grow a F... pair for crying out loud... If they should ban anything they should ban this abortion of decks... no win con is just horrible to play and to play against... I took my Aggro Rakdos with stinky mana to the competitive constructed and faced one of this piece of crap decks and you know what I won that match.
Game one, he stabilized at 2 and I conceded.
Game two, I chopped all the creature removal and put every creature in the deck I won, I noticed that he had not one single proactive play, so I knew NO WIN CON! you are facing one stubborn bastard and you are going to have to win this match fair and square.
Game three, this was an awful experience, but I win with no lands in play-for real it was awful to sit and eat the whole library, 32 turns with no plays but I called the bluff and it was worth it, I just did not concede and killed his 3 Teferis -Just 2 coz he ultimate one- but I never bother to go face once he showed the PW coz once you put Tefferi on the GY this deck got ****.

Word of advice to anyone out there... you are not going to race this eunuch deck just kill Tefferi and the deck crumbles.
Sorry for the rant man but I just hate this BS deck with no wincon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 am 

HOw does that deck win? The other deck runs out of cards?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am 

That is the game plan, you ultimate Teferi and exile the board piece by piece, and if you are about to deck your self out you use Teferi´s second ability to put him back on your library rinse and repeat.
If you face the control mirror shot yourself in the balls.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am 

Yeah I hate those control decks with a burning passion, which is oddly strange because I am a control player at heart. My favorite play is still cycling a Nimble obstructionist on a ultimate Taferi. Lol

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 am 

I like removal control (like a fun Abzan heavy removal with plenty of wincons deck), but counter control just puts me to sleep, either playing it or against it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am 

Don't those decks run at least 1 approach? Or are they just the biggest A-holes on the planet? Probably the same guys that played sacrament decks... Don't these people have lives?
Anyway, why the hell are people playing swamps in Br aggro/mid-range? Don't they like casting their Chainwhirlers? Geez... Even without any Canyon sloughs, I'm running a full set of those awful tap-lands and a full-set of Dragonskull Summits, +1 Artifact City of bronze. I guess having 1 Swamp could be useful if my opponent remembers to nuke my only dual with a Field of Ruin, but they don't actually know that's a good play...
I especially liked it when some guy used Lost Legacy on me naming Hazoret and... Exiled a single Hazoret... Then lost 2 turns later.
Btw, Soul-Scar is the boss. Against a guy playing RG energy, he got all his dudes zapped, then played a pummeler (with lots of energy ready), which got Chainwhirlered + Soul-Scar and instantly rage-quit. Lol.
Netdecking is lame, but this deck kick butt (I made a few personal tweaks anyway, more face burn and less Abrade, still too few artifacts around).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:47 pm 

Nah no approaches. Game 1 the only wincon is decking the opponent while cycling teferi back into the deck to prevent running out of cards. With a Commit/Memory to reshuffle if things get problematic somehow. The actual win con of course is opponent conceding.

Game 2 I can bring in 2 Lyra, 2 Ballista, 4 History of Benalia and 1-2 Gideons if I'm sure they'll have frantically taken out all their removal that isn't Vraskas Contempt.

There's a version that runs 2 Approach main-deck, which helps vs mono red, but imo in all the other matches if you can win with approach you don't need it. Plus I dislike the card, it's an awful draw for all of the period of the game that's important.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm 

I have 1x Nezahal for the mirror.

@Haven: well you play Herp Derp Whirr, so case closed :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:38 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Is there no match timer in Arena?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm 

Why would anyone want to play U/W control. I mean, I love a good control deck, but this is as exciting as the old Draw Go decks. Less so, they actually had a wincon.

In an actual tournament, these type of decks tend to have a lot of 1-1 games and run out of time. That means that you are less likely to qualify for top 8, and therefore they are less popular (Or at least they were, speaking from 15-20 years ago. Maybe things have changed?)

Here though, there is no reason not to run them if all you care about is winning and you don't care how long it takes. Makes me want to make decks just to punish these decks, but it would suck vs the rest of the field.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm 

This makes me kinda like the current meta... imagine if two of these decks make it to the pro tour finals... :gross:
now imagine Arena after that :twitch:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

Wintervoid wrote:
Why would anyone want to play U/W control. I mean, I love a good control deck, but this is as exciting as the old Draw Go decks. Less so, they actually had a wincon.

In an actual tournament, these type of decks tend to have a lot of 1-1 games and run out of time. That means that you are less likely to qualify for top 8, and therefore they are less popular (Or at least they were, speaking from 15-20 years ago. Maybe things have changed?)

Here though, there is no reason not to run them if all you care about is winning and you don't care how long it takes. Makes me want to make decks just to punish these decks, but it would suck vs the rest of the field.

Yeh, there's turn times but no match timer and since your turn mostly consists of passing that's no problem. But tbh I find it quite interesting, sure it's an entirely reactive deck apart from casting Teferi but it's fun to play and 90% of opponents concede when it's clear they can no longer win and you have a teferi about to ult. I don't often have games that last longer than say UB control games.

The advantages I see to UW are: cheaper to make than pretty much every other control deck (4 teferi, 4 settle, everything else is easy, 2 azcanta eventually but not needed, far less dual lands than a deck like esper and since it's 2 colour you can do without), probably the best game 1 deck in the format, probably close to the 2nd best game 2-3 deck in the format. Hard to sideboard against. Did I mention it's cheap to make? Yeh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

otrisk wrote:

Only when I don't have much time to play and want some fast games.
When I have the time, I'm having lots of fun with orzhov control and Grixvolutions.
You know what's the most fun you can have with 7 mana?
Mastermind's Acquisition into Lost Legacy from the Sb to exile a thrashing brotodon that was revealed with explore and would surely blow up my cruel reality next turn. I felt evil. :evil:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:
otrisk wrote:

Only when I don't have much time to play and want some fast games.
When I have the time, I'm having lots of fun with orzhov control and Grixvolutions.
You know what's the most fun you can have with 7 mana?
Mastermind's Acquisition into Lost Legacy from the Sb to exile a thrashing brotodon that was revealed with explore and would surely blow up my cruel reality next turn. I felt evil. :evil:

Yeah I was kidding with the RDW comment. Plus you're right, I totally am the kind of guy who plays Sacrament decks.

I don't know, there's something about complete board control and alternate win conditions that just tickles the brain. You play Lost Legacy so surely you must understand!

No win condition at all - attrition mill - is like the holy grail and it almost never achieves T1 status so please indulge us... RDW on the other hand...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm 

I didn’t think it was tier one though. Isn’t RDW heavily favored (Rakdos too)? All UW is doing is preying on the decks designed to beat RDW, or in other words: making the problem worse.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19359&f=ST

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

Following your link the deck run by Thomas Enevoldsen is very similar to what I use. Think I go +1 fumigate, -1 pull, -1 invoke, +1 negate. Hmm and -2 blink, +ixalan's binding, +1??. Guess I should try out blink.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm 

Yeah, blink is definitely a decent card, especially when backed by draw and counters to make up for the card/tempo disadvantages, which are minor in any case.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:34 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
I didn’t think it was tier one though. Isn’t RDW heavily favored (Rakdos too)? All UW is doing is preying on the decks designed to beat RDW, or in other words: making the problem
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19359&f=ST

Check this article man :V

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next