It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 am 

Identity: ichthyophile
I'd go as far as to say RDW's dominance is entirely parasitic and UW is the oppressive deck.

If you remove UW control from the equation RDW is still very good but the Jund/Abzan sort of top-heavy midrange-control goodstuff piles are enabled and take the lead. Which I'd consider the "normal" state of the game.

If you remove RDW from the equation you're simply left with a meta where nothing ever beats the Draw-Go decks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
I already posted the mtgtop8 breakdown of decks. Clearly UW is not on top. (As for what happens if you remove RDW, no idea, but I’ve already made the claim that removing UW would make a huge difference.)

As for the rest, you guys say potatoh, I say potahto.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 pm 

Last night I played a set of Quick Constructed with my Token White Deck and I saw a lot of red (easy wins), a mono black (Built to beat UW it appeared) and a UW. I think in 8 games, 4 were red based agro, 1 UW and 1 MBC. I forget the other two.

Anyway, UW is still favored against me, but the deck I am running does have some tools to deal with it.

Binding is good, although I assume it will be Cast Out eventually.

History of Benalia is great. No Seals vs vigilance and it makes them make some tough decisions. Tap out T5 for Fumigate? Tap out for Settle and give me card advantage AND play a threat?

The 1 mana Vampire flip land is great if you can flip it.

Procession and Eternalize/Embalm creatures take the sting out of counterspells and wipes.

But my favorite card I have added is The Immortal Sun. It is expensive, but fits my gameplan. Not only foes it act as a Pump and card advantage, but it completely stop Telfari until they get a cast out.

Last night that was how I beat the U/W. T3 History T4 History (Negated) T5 Fumigated and play Procession. T6 Telfari comes down (Opp at 5 mana, so 2 open and he used a negate on History) T6 Immortal Sun. From then on out, it was a battle over Sun/Telfari. Basically, since I had threats on the board, he could deal with the Sun or my creatures that were eating away his life. It was just so nice to make a UW player feel helpless. I savored that game.

I am pretty interested in MBC though. They have the tools to just decimate UW, but I think the deck probably loses to red?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:41 pm 

Identity: ichthyophile
Wintervoid wrote:
I am pretty interested in MBC though. They have the tools to just decimate UW, but I think the deck probably loses to red?

You can tune it for either, thing is if you try to do both you end up with your hand full of fatal pushes and bontu's reckonings against UW, and 4x duress against RDW...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:11 pm 

I have a mbc deck that i made recently purely to beat rdw when i get a spell of only queing into that deck. If i see blue and white lands i instantly concede, I'm probably less than 5% to win that game.

Not convinced it's better than UW at beating RB, I actually think UW has a decent game 1 vs it, it's only in game 2-3 that RB aggro gets to bring in duress. But it's fun to play a whole bunch of craving/essence extraction/contempts vs red.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm 

WOTC meta-analysis from the July Banned and Restricted Update
it seems that either people can´t play correctly the RDW and that people playing the answers are better players or the answer to the Red Summer has arrived. GB Steel Leaf and WU Gift have the best win rates.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:31 pm 

Aggro is always more popular than it's win rate would normally suggest, because it makes grinding significantly faster. It's not uncommon in a lot of these games for some deck to have much fewer players but a much higher win rate than aggro.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 pm 

Yes I guess you are right about that, grinding with a fast deck is the way to go.
Here is a bit more info on the numbers
Here are the win rates of the most popular decks on Magic Online Competitive Leagues, taken as a snapshot from mid-June. While these numbers can fluctuate from week to week as the metagame churns, they're representative of the ranges we've been seeing over time. Note that the decks are automatically clustered by archetype through a computer algorithm, not manually categorized.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:52 pm 

So GB Steel Leaf has highest win rate? I don’t even know what that is

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:05 pm 

The decks are mono green with a splash for Blue or Black from what I know, and they are built around
T1 Llanowar Elves
T2 Steel Leaf

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 pm 

How do you build an entire deck around that dude? Save removal for big creatures?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:33 am 

How do you build an entire deck around that dude? Save removal for big creatures?

Well, You do the Green thing... Play dorks, get out big dumb creatures and keep on attacking until opp is dead (no removal necessary). Very 1-dimensional stuff... And people complain about mono-red.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm 

The ever-shifting meta - so the circle of RDW, UW Control, RDW with a few artifacts....

And ofc a splash of others, luckily with a bit of jank in there.

I run MBC with torments,removal and discard (surprisingly high winrate, since everyone I talk to calls it "non-competitive"), Marwyn-storm (SO janky and really not competitive but fun when it goes off out of absolutely nowhere), Monoblue aetherflux-storm (also just explodes from 0-50 in 0.9 turns) and UW-giftmill. I haven't even built a RDW and I think I have maybe 1 Teferi from a QC or something. Can't wait for M19, going to make a mean mill-deck.

Anyway, I love seeing diversity, so to all the jank players out there, keep at it!

And to share, I just milled a RDW by turn 4, after it knocked me down to 4 health. So sweet. So so sweet.

List:

4 God-Pharaoh's Gift (HOU) 161
4 Refurbish (KLD) 25
2 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Fraying Sanity (HOU) 35
9 Island (RIX) 193
4 Champion of Wits (HOU) 31
4 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
4 Ipnu Rivulet (HOU) 180
2 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
4 Strategic Planning (HOU) 47
4 Fleet Swallower (XLN) 57
4 Minister of Inquiries (KLD) 57
3 Compelling Argument (AKH) 47
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Irrigated Farmland (AKH) 245

Play-by-play:

He gets the start:
O-Turn 1, mountain, Bomat, swing for 1.
M-Turn 1, Island, Minister of Inquiries
O-Turn 2, mountain, Soul-Scar Mage, Fanatical Firebrand, sac and shoot my minister to a 0/1, swing with Bomat for 1
M-turn 2, Glacial Fortress, Strategic Planning, grab a Fraying Sanity, dropping a Fleet Swallower and something else in the grave.
O-Turn 3, mountain, earthshaker khenra, fanatical firebrand, swing with all for 5 damage, I can't block. I mill myself for 3 EOT.
M-Turn 3, draw refurbish from the top, Ipnu Rivulet, Fraying Sanity targetting opponent.
O-Turn 4, mountain, Radiating Lightning to face, I respond by milling myself for another 3, getting Gift in the grave. I took 3 dmg, and he swings for another 6.
M-Turn 4, Plains, Refurbish, get Gift, combat, Get Fleet Swallower, swing, mill 24-25 cards, EOT fraying sanity mills the same, boom.

The satisfaction of getting a god-draw like that where all 4 pieces of a combo falls into place that fast and isn't interrupted combined with the fact that it was against yet-another-boring-red-deck-wins...

The NSA is the only branch of government that actually listens to people.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:40 pm 

i don't know how people can even associate the word boring with red. It's the total opposite of boring and the least boring colour. Both to play and play against. It's fast and over quick. You're always doing something, usually fighting to survive. it's super exciting.

I've had 60 minute games where I've sat there doing NOTHING for most of it against blue with no win cons. There's nothing worse than that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 pm 

I particularly enjoy the mirror where being on the draw is actually better... but I´m burned down of RDW for now, Its less fun when everyone is playing it.
The green-black deck packs a Ballistas playset, but it is very one dimensional as Haven says, I like the GB midrange, and oh boy that deck is going to get better with Reclamation sage.
What do you guys prefer Brontodon or Sage?
Image Image
I think the ETB is better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:23 am 

Reclamation Sage is more splashable because of the single Green in the cc, but the dino is much more relevant as a creature (Rec Sage dies to everything, while brotodon at least survives most of the burn).
Rec Sage has better surprise effect because it blows up the enchantments/artifacts on ETB, so you could bounce/blink him for extra value. Brotodon is more obvious, while annoying opp (if he's holding a key Enchantment/artifact), also lets him play around it (waiting for Removal or being tapped out).
Rec Sage is much more expendable, you'll want to try and conserve brotodon because it's a good blocker or beater.
Lastly and probably most importantly, although both cards seem similar in effects, only 1 of them gives you card advantage and that's the Sage (you nuke the Artifact/Enchantment and keep a 2/1 body, that's an elf which may become relevant) brotodon is pure 1-for-1.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:25 am 

I like Bronton so I don’t have to hold up Sage in my hand, also it allows opponents opportunity to misplay

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:37 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SleepHmper on XBL add me
Elf decks will be back with M19 so creature type will matter. Note that steel leaf is an elf. Good ole rec sage will be in all elf decks for sure.

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
I do not like standard constructed to be honest so unless they bring Singleton back I'm not sure how much play I will get in but if I do......
By no means will it be competitive but I'm liking the idea of making a 5C Elder Dragon deck.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm 

Slightly interested in seeing if gigantosaurus can fit into green stompy, or if it's just overkill. t1 elf, t2 steel leaf, t3 heart of kiran + Ghalta, t4 giganto seems fun though the t3 is enough to finish a game if there's no removal. Rhonas can give it trample too. And it does seem more castable than Ghalta if opponent is removing stuff.

Be interesting to see if there's a good elf deck too, I really like Marwyn, but just doesn't seem to be much in the way of payoffs in return for filling your deck with so many weak creatures. Banefire seems a bit of a stretch, big ballista might work, or maybe some kind of overrun I guess. Be fun to try stuff out for a bit, suspect it's going to be too fragile - but Thorn guy does seem very good so maybe there's hope. Hopefully they bring back singleton soon though.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next