It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paradox
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:45 pm 

So, this is the deck I have been playing lately, and thanks to MTG Arena Tool, I can easily track wins and losses. I have only played 11 games with it so far with the tracker, but I am 8-3.

4 x Glint-Nest Crane
4 x Sai, Master Thopterist
4 x Paradoxical Outcome
4 x Baral's Expertise
4 x Commit /// Memory
1 x Mox Amber
4 x Ornithopter
4 x Renegade Map
4 x Prophetic Prism
4 x Inspiring Statuary
4 x Aetherflux Reservoir
4 x Field of Ruin
1 x Inventors' Fair
10 x Island
4 x Zhalfirin Void

I don't think the deck is 75% win rate good, and I really want to take it into Constructed with Sideboards, but still figuring out what I want to Sideboard in and out vs various decks. I know it will be 4 Negate and 4 Sorcerers Spyglass for the Nexus decks in for 4 Prisms and 4 Expertise, but beyond that, still working on it. I have felt I am about a coin flip vs aggro, but with some of the faster decks out there, I think they win more, so I think that will be part of my SB Strategy. Also, some Wide decks and some Big green decks give me issues, so thinking of using rivers rebuke to side in for the expertise.

Now, you have probably played vs a variation of the deck, but if not, here is the basics of how it works. You get out Inspiring Statuary, Aetherflux Reservoir and cheap artifacts. You use Paradoxical Outcome or Baral's Expertise to replay the cheap artifacts. Inspiring Statuary provides the mana for casting not artifact spells with your cheap artifacts, and you get additional draw through Memory and Paradoxical Outcome. You can literally go from 1 life, 5-6 mana and a few of the right artifacts on the board to winning in a single turn. The deck is also pretty resilient, with Commit being able to remove impediments like Cast out on your Reservoir. Counter heavy decks are also pretty good against it, but if you can get them to tap out, you can turn it around quickly.

Now, for card choices:

Glint-Nest Crane - This was Antiquities War, but the Crane offer an early blocker, and digs almost as deep, although only once. Also, the one thing I did NOT like about War was that it made your artifacts more vulnerable when they were turned to creatures.

Sai, Master Thopterist - This really isn't as scary as he seems. Mainly, he is there to provide mana (Thopters with Statuary), Blockers and Occasional card Draw. Still, thopter assault is a good secondary wincon, but really, I very rarely win by thopter spam.

Paradoxical Outcome - Key part of the equation. This is what turns your deck into a combo deck. Also can save some important pieces if needed. When you are ready to 'go off', it is best to cast on your opponents endstep. That way you have all your mana available to help cast your handful of cards. The only things I wont (normally) bounce are a Statuary and all Reservoirs and maybe Sai, depending if I think I need an extra card more or the mana I would need to recast him.

Baral's Expertise - This is a great tool vs agro decks. It sets them back 1-3 turns AND it can get your Reservoir out. Note that you anything you return to your hand to can recast for free, so it is great for putting down a Statuary for the Reservoir trigger that you probably would not want to spend mana on. I prefer this way to get out the Reservoir because with Statuary it only costs 2 actual mana, and some tapped artifacts. Normally much better then tapping out 4 mana for the Reservoir.

Commit /// Memory - This space was taken up by cards like Metallic rebuke and Reverse Engineer. Commit wins because it works vs all spells (even uncounterable ones), removes permanents, and it draws you a full hand when you need it. When 'going off', it is basically 2 mana for 7 new cards, and often that will win the game.

Mox Amber - Recent addition. Mainly there as an additional 0 mana card for triggers. You sometimes get the mana from it, and if you have Paradox in hand and Sai out, Paradox will effectively only cost you 2 artifact taps and 0 actual mana since Mox and the Thoper it makes will replace 2 mana.

Ornithopter - 0 mana for triggers. Rarely a blocker, but I will block things like Courier, since if they have a Shock+ in hand, they can kill anyway, so may as well save the point.

Renegade Map - I run 4 of these instead of 4 land. The deck only runs 19 land, but Statuary and Maps will make it seem like more. In general though, unless I have land in hand, I will always exchange a map for an island. (Main exception is if I want to use Paradox on it)

Prophetic Prism - Kind of hate this card since it is basically a cantrip that also will become mana later, but Paradox and Expertise make it useful. Also, with low mana count, this does help.

Inspiring Statuary - Core piece of the puzzle.

Aetherflux Reservoir - Wincon.

Field of Ruin - Honestly, should probably reduce to 2 and add 2 more Islands.

Inventors' Fair - 1 is enough. You rarely use it, but nice to have to search out a missing piece if needed.

Zhalfirin Void - helps you get by on so few land.

This has been a fun deck, and if you have the cards for it I would try it out, just so you know how to counter it if nothing else.

Oher cards that I have tried but didn't make the cut worth mentioning:

Karn was an alternate win condition, and it was great because I could cast him only with Improvise. The issue was that without Statuary out, 4 mana was just too much for him. I may try subbing in for Aggro though, since a large token slows them down AND he is an additional target to buy you some time.

Foundry Inspector - Being able to have all your 1 mana artifacts 0 mana was great, and even sometimes your 2 & 3 mana artifacts if you got enough out. The problem was it was too vulnerable. Too many things killed it, and in this deck, anything over 2 actual mana better be doing something epic for you.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Paradox
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:05 am 

I've had very long games against this but my Merfolk hardly lose to it. Playing against this you can just forget about counting down the opponent's mana for being tapped out doesn't mean anything :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

Hmmm... I played against this kinda deck a couple of times and Joira has always made the difference did you tested her?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:10 pm 

Hmmm... I played against this kinda deck a couple of times and Joira has always made the difference did you tested her?

Yes, I did (with and without reckless fireweaver as well). When I could land her (and she would stick for a turn) she was brutal. I actually lost one game because I miscounted and decked myself. The issue I had was the 3 toughness. Too many times I would spend 4 mana (or 2 and 2 artifacts) for no reward.

With that said, since I have the deck pretty well tuned for myself, it may be worth it to try again. The issue is figuring out what to take out. I would probably start with taking out some combo of Expertise, Commit and/or Paradox.

Like this post